Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Images of the Niagara, Freedom, and New Orleans (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: New Images of the Niagara, Freedom, and New Orleans
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Akira62497:
what happened to the ship that suposed to have there exscape pods launched i remember reading this in a book but i dont remember witch one

I've got a feeling that was supposed to be the Melbourne, but it doesn't look like that on the model.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the little blob above the Kyushu the shuttle from the Liberator (which letter had the tilde?)

And the ship that is exploding to the left of the little blob has two nacelles with some sort of object between them... is this the Chekov? (The one with the supposed under-slung pod seen in that pic sitting on the coffee cup?)

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM: No, the ship you point out was not the one I was referring to. It's the ship immediately to the left of the Enterprise's saucer.

Akira: The book you are referring to was the TNG Companion, by Larry Nemecek. He stated something to the effect of "Some of the wrecked hulls can even be seen with their escape pod hatches open - a Greg Jein touch." Seeing as how the only two ships Greg built were the Princeton and the Firebrand, and that neither one of them have their escape pod doors open, I think it's safe to say that Nemecek was full of shit.

Andrew: I'd like to know what that "blob" is as well. I don't think it's the Liberator shuttle. Also, if you look closely, you can see that this object is actually in every shot in the graveyard. Further elaboration to come...

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when Season 5 comes out I can see what other ships were used in the Quaylor 2 yards in Unification.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you guys see the relaint in there with one truster its right in the middle? its in every pic i think unless thats the blob you all are talking about. i think i see the phase II model in there also.

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My $0.02 about the models:

I again have to wonder why the filmers did not use the Princeton & Firebrand more prominently. IMHO, they were just as good as regular studio models, and they did not do the ships any justice whatsoever by having them shown in the background/off to the side/etc.

I doubt that the Firebrand's neck is a Connie neck; that is to say that I doubt the ship has a Connie-style torpedo launcher as the FF shows. Other than that and the White color, the FF were pretty close to the real thing.

I also think that the little pole above the bottom tube on the Kyushu was supposed to be there all along, and we just never saw it before. It's even the same color as the rest of the ship. Plus, the bridge looks a bit different than a regular Galaxy bridge, shape-wise & window-wise.

As for the newer screencaps of the battle scene...I still cannot see anything that I feel resembles either an Excelsior study model or a "Phase II" Enterprise. I believe that they were indeed shot, but that those shots were used in Unification instead, since no damage was applied to them.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: I'm pretty sure I can see a shuttlebay on the Kyushu, between the pods.

-

I may be wrong of course.

As for the damage to the aft section, I've always interperated that as the damage caused by the borg nicking the warpcore.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a door were on the dorsal aft of the saucer per Rev's picture, it couldn't possibly be a shuttlebay. Fiven the scale, people would barely be able to squeeze through it...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd say the GCS main shuttlebay is still on the NO saucer exactly where you'd expect it to be, but the scale makes it difficult for it to still be a shuttlebay. I don't think the GCS doors are a lot taller than a shuttle, and the NO is scaled down to a little over one-half-size.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming I've scaled this correctly, I'd say that the average shuttle can fit in a 1/2 scaled Galaxy-Class shuttlebay quite comfortably.
I think you've underestimated just how vast the full sized structure is.

-

On the other hand the other two shuttlebays are indeed too small when scaled down to NO proportions, but they can just as easily be carobays. Assuming of course these features are perserved on the NO model.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from new angles, the Kyushu is a damn beautiful ship. the top and bottom views we are accustomed to didnt flatter it very much
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Akira: The book you are referring to was the TNG Companion, by Larry Nemecek. He stated something to the effect of "Some of the wrecked hulls can even be seen with their escape pod hatches open - a Greg Jein touch." Seeing as how the only two ships Greg built were the Princeton and the Firebrand, and that neither one of them have their escape pod doors open, I think it's safe to say that Nemecek was full of shit.

I don't know if it was in the TNG Companion as well, but this info appeared in the TNG Tech Manual first. Sternbach or Okuda mentioned that some Jein-built ships had open lifeboat hatches, but didn't say which ones. I'm guessing either they were added to the Niagara and Freedom later on, or are on some unseen or indistinct debris (we know there's stuff like that, based on the Liberator shuttle and that eBay saucer piece over at Guardian of Forever).
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just updated the page with two series of images... I think the resolution is maxxed out at 870 by 652. Take a look... maybe we can confirm/dispute some observations.
Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks [Smile] ill see what i can make out of them [Smile]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Akira
Member # 850

from what i can tell of this pic http://home.att.net/~starships/centaur/1-10.jpg the ship on the bottom right corner is the Challanger Class USS Buran at a sort of side view under way the one above it is the Cheyenne class U.S.S. Ahwahnee to the bottom left is the New Orleans class U.S.S. Kyushu above that is the Miranda Class U.S.S. Relaiant from ST2 the one with the truster missing or the Liberator Shuttle Craft the one to the top left is the U.S.S. Chekov Springfield class
http://home.att.net/~starships/centaur/2-02.jpg
This picture pretty much is the same as the above but with the Niagara class U.S.S. Princeton poping up on the screen and what i think to be an excelsior studio model or a upside down excelsior or an right up side one with the trusters going do the hall (kinda imagine it going towards the womans chair like 30degrees and with the neceals comming towards the screen

http://home.att.net/~starships/centaur/2-00.jpg
this pic the only thing different than the above is the U.S.S. Chekov Springfield class up in the top left hand corner and some object in the bottom right hand corner witch we will never know what it is (maybe in 2009)

http://home.att.net/~starships/centaur/5-03.jpg
This one it looks like the Challenger Class Uss buran right below the enterprise and above it sort of looks like Excelsior Study model (the real skinny one) http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/excelsiorstudy1-model1.jpg or http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/wolf359/conststudy.jpg this phase 2 Enterprise model
on the left side of the enterprise saucer i think looks like the early phenox model with a frengie maurder underneath it or something or maybe something like a hubble tellascope type thingor the excelsior study model. to the left and a little below i think to be the other phase 2 model

http://home.att.net/~starships/centaur/6-08.jpg
this is almost the same as the above one with the conny removed and the Freedom-class U.S.S. Firebrand ont the very top left hand corner and the New Orleans class U.S.S. Kyushu right underneath it
What do you all think of these observations?
Tell me you idea's guys this is mine

[ September 09, 2002, 22:37: Message edited by: Akira62497 ]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps