Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Images of the Niagara, Freedom, and New Orleans (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: New Images of the Niagara, Freedom, and New Orleans
Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im sorry but i still feel the Query 2 is the Springfield Class and the miranda is right bside it or the liberator shuttle. and the ??? is the phase 2 model and the Klingnon D-7 (cause the green tint and they said one klingnon ship was there) or the excelsior study model or the phase to model

How come i did not get any credit lol j/k

Great work though Keep It up

[ September 10, 2002, 21:36: Message edited by: Akira62497 ]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree that the ship in question is probably the Chekov... the pod is pretty distinct.

If anyone's interested, I will be making a Zip file of all the caps, plus redone Kyushu/Firebrand/Princeton shots, sometime tomorrow or Thursday. If you need another frame not included in this series for a gif or animation, now would be the time to request it. [Smile]

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooops i read that wrong

[ September 10, 2002, 21:35: Message edited by: Akira62497 ]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ebay galaxy/nebula saucer piece is legit. It was donated by the folks over at Paramount for a huge Star Trek (charity?) auction that included other stuff like props, costumes, production sketches,(storyboard sketches?), and scripts. It made big news a few months ago and we briefly discussed it here.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to get the required off-topic dosage to this thread as well:

In the analysis pages of the good Red Admiral, a few Unification comments trigger in me an urge to lift an eyebrow. On Image 3, I can't quite figure out how the Excelsior study model saucer could match the saucer #6. Is it supposed to be upside down or what? Even then, the pronounced ridges running radially from the center to the rim look far steeper than the ridges on the bottom of the study model saucer.

On the same image, #8 is a very obvious upside-down SS Batris...

On image 6, #14 is a dead ringer for the Soliton Wave Rider from "New Ground", aka the Mars Defense Perimeter Craft. I can't see any standard saucer on #15 - it looks very much like the Talarian X-winged warship from "Suddenly Human" instead, with an arrowhead hull made of ISD kit components... On image 5, there's another Talarian vessel, this time the training ship where they found the abducted human. The ship is facing to the upper left (but sans her vertical wings).

DVD imagery will probably eliminate most of the uncertainties...

Timo Saloniemi

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Here's an annotated version of the sixth Qualor photo;
http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/Qualor%206a.JPG

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
im sorry but i still feel the Query 2 is the Springfield Class and the miranda is right bside it or the liberator shuttle.
I really don't think that Query 2 is the Reliant. Sure, they could have pulled out the old, damaged Reliant studio model for the shot, but then why would they have filmed it so far away, and why would Okuda remember about the STIII Enterprise, but not the Reliant?

I also don't think it's the Liberator shuttle. That model, although damaged for the scene, wasn't that damaged. And I can't see this shuttle being that object, at any angle you place it.

The best candidate I can see for this object would be the newly-confirmed-as-authentic Galaxy-type saucer piece (which, BTW, I don't ever remember there being any discussion about here in the past [Confused] )

[ September 11, 2002, 10:12: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks for the input Timo. I knew one day someone would be able to positively identify some of the Qualor II ships. I remember the Soliton Waverider now, just forgot what it looked like.

As for the Excelsior study model saucer, it just looks like the best candidate. It may have been amended/adjusted before filming in this scene, I don't know. It's not a dead ringer, just very close.

Are you sure #8 is the Batris?? I does resemble it upside down, but I'm not sure. You could of course be right...

I'm not convinced about #15 being the Talarian X-Wing ship. There's no clear indication of a saucer in #15, but it just looks a bit like you're looking at a Soyuz Class ship from the port stern. You can even see what looks like a raised bridge module. Until better quality captures can be made it's going to be very difficult to tell what it is.

And you believe you've identified the ship at the top of Image 5 as well.. Indeed thanks, and I shall update the page with the new information, and credit you for it.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty much convinced that the X-wing must be the X-wing. Not much can be seen in the extreme close-up picture, but there is a telltale structure that features a raised "pedestal" on which two domelike "bridges" are placed, one closer to the camera and one farther off. This structure is quite similar to the thing that runs along the dorsal ridge of the X-wing, as seen in the (admittedly fuzzy) "Suddenly Human" screencap. Flanking the forward dome are deep indentations to the wedgelike hull, marked in dark in this picture but better seen in other shots for which I have no caps.

I must disagree with Dr. Phlox about this ship. The Talarian "observation craft/training ship" that is seen in image 5 has a different bridge arrangement without any domes. Also, its side indentations are far less pronounced than those of the X-wing. And the bow is rather long and sleek and would probably not fit into image 6, whereas the more truncated snout of the X-wing is visible there.

'Course, I may be proven humiliatingly wrong when better imagery comes along - as usual, I keep seeing things I want to see. But this looks like a very clear reuse of the Talarian material to me.

And it may be our last look at actual new footage on this model. Later TNG and DS9 appearances were either stock footage, or then featured the X-wing in modified form, with the aft hull and the aft halves of the wings removed so that the ship could dock with DS9 butt first. The observation/training ship in turn apparently became the Tamarian two-nacelled ship after this appearance...

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree with Timo that those models are reuses of the Talarian vessels. We have the observation craft, the warship, and the freighter. And this is not too much of a stretch to see these alien ships in a Starfleet surplus depot. Perhaps they were captured during the war and relegated here once their usefulness was utilized, and were never returned to their rightful owners. That is almost certainly the case with the Klingon battlecruiser.

However, I also have to agree with Timo that the stand-alone saucer does not belong to the Excelsior studio model. I understand that our Wolf 359 research page at Bernd's speculates this, but I don't agree. At the least, the saucer's rim is far too thick to be the same.

So, the ships at Qualor include:

-a Klingon battlecruiser;
-stock footage of the Melbourne;
-stock footage of the Princeton;
-stock footage of the Buran;
-"Phase II" McQuarrie Enterprise;
-four-nacelled Excelsior study model (shown twice);
-"flat" Excelsior study model (shown twice);
-Tyrus particle fountain sans base;
-Talarian observation craft;
-Talarian warship;
-Talarian freighter;
-a similar looking Talarian freighter;
-Mars perimiter/soliton waverider (shown twice);
-an unknown saucer;
-at least two Mirandas

[ September 11, 2002, 14:56: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Timo
Member # 245

Just to get a word sidewise: The battlecruiser could well be Romulan, considering the Romulan border is nearby. And the McQuarrie ship is perhaps better called the "pre-Phase II Enterprise", not to be confused with the actual Phase II model that SotSF fans know as the Constitution (II) class...

I was going to say something constructive, too. Now what was it? Oh, yeah. Judging by the shadows, the mystery saucer seems to be made of two "hubcaps" or "pans" atop each other. The smaller "pan" has moderate curvature and what seems like a low, near-vertical rim. This rim makes a very sharp angle with the bigger "pan", which has little curvature and a thick vertical rim. The faces of both "pans" seem to be textured, and there's also texturing on the rim of the bigger "pan".

Now where have we seen a structure like that? The only known saucer where the central part makes a sharp angle with the broader part is the bottom half of the Galaxy saucer. I'm not convinced this is a Galaxy bottom (or two bottoms glued together), but it's one possibility. Another is that this is the bottom half of a Constitution saucer, and we just can't see the convexity of the outer part. But the sharp angle between the inner and outer parts suggests otherwise.

In any case, the saucer seems to have intricate detail, possibly even including decals. Yet it looks like nothing we'd have seen elsewhere. Surely it wasn't constructed for "Unification" alone, yet it clearly is (part of) a purpose-built Federation starship. I'm quite tempted to think this could be an unseen and possibly even unfilmed "BoBW" model.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I must agree with Timo that those models are reuses of the Talarian vessels. We have the observation craft, the warship, and the freighter. And this is not too much of a stretch to see these alien ships in a Starfleet surplus depot. Perhaps they were captured during the war and relegated here once their usefulness was utilized, and were never returned to their rightful owners. That is almost certainly the case with the Klingon battlecruiser
These 'Talarian' Ships were also seen in the final scenes of "Emissary". Xepolite freighters?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
In any case, the saucer seems to have intricate detail, possibly even including decals. Yet it looks like nothing we'd have seen elsewhere. Surely it wasn't constructed for "Unification" alone, yet it clearly is (part of) a purpose-built Federation starship. I'm quite tempted to think this could be an unseen and possibly even unfilmed "BoBW" model.
Actually, I'm more inclined to think that it's from the mysterious "fourth" Excelsior study model Okuda speculated about...

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, Frunalian science ships, Andy
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check this image I enhanced! they loaded up on details for these!
 -

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps