Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ The Tech Shockwave Returns! ["Shockwave Part II" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$ The Tech Shockwave Returns! ["Shockwave Part II" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right! I get to see the Enterprise premiere tonight, and as part of my need to rub this in your faces, I will be resuming my weekly technology notations for each episode. Look for the writeup for "Shockwave Part II" tonight - depending on when I can get back from campus.

Stoopid thesis. Stoopid everything.

Spoiler warnings for all - and a reminder that when you post spoiler content on the forums, place at least one "$" at the BEGINNING of the topic title to warn peoples. Anyone want me to be looking out for anything specific?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you get it a day early???
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a comprehensive answer?

There are (for presumably obvious reasons) no UPN stations in Canada, just as there are no ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX or WB stations. Canadian rights to all new shows get essentially dumped on the two Canadian networks at pretty ridiculously low prices. [This has a major effect on the whole battle to keep Canadian content on TV, but I digress.] So, the two major Canadian networks (CTV and Global) fill out their schedules relatively quickly with stuff from the four major American networks. That leaves the shows on the American netlets (UPN and WB) to be picked up by the CHUM/CITY media conglomerate, a smaller player with only a handful of affiliates that collectively reach only two markets: Southern Ontario and Southwestern BC. They airing it at the moment at the usual UPN time on its two CityTV stations in Toronto and Vancouver, and then on their nation-wide specialty cable station "Space!" on the weekends.

Now, just as in the states, if there isn't a nearby UPN affiliate in a particular area, any TV station can make a pitch to grab the show and show it in first-run syndication, which usually means slotting it in at some time on the weekend after its already aired on UPN. A-Channel, which is in fact three locally-oriented stations owned by Craig Broadcasting (a rising specialty cable player) reaches the cities of Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg, and it has first-run syndication rights to Enterprise. For whatever reason, they've managed to slot time for Enterprise in Calgary and Edmonton shortly after the satellite wildfeed so that it can be seen on the Tuesday evenings before it airs everywhere else. Winnipeg is still the normal Wednesday time, I think. And on the East Coast some other station has syndication rights to Enterprise but it doesn't air it at a particularly exotic time.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, as long as it wasn't a long winded answer, like, he lives in Canada and they air it before UPN...

With the Wings in this area I will be reduced to waiting till Saturday.... For years it has interupted Trek for me on Wednesdays.....

Thus why I HATE hockey....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was going to say MAGICAL POWERS. But Tom's answer is just as good...

Mark

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've used MAGICAL POWERS for a bit too long, though. It was time to enlighten the unknowing ones. And, to be honest, we were in the habit of writing "he lives in Canada and gets it before UPN" every week last year, and that got a bit boring.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a similar, yet not at all similar vein, Calgary TV sucks.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise is premiering? i need to get out the tinfoil and rebuild my UPN antenna

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Meh, all the critical stuff is on Calgary TV. For example: Trek, JAG, and 24 are all in a 3-hour block tonight (24 starting up in a week or two).

And to qualify - US syndie stuff in Canada is insanely cheap ONLY if you can fulfill the CRTC's content rules. That is, for every US show in the regular program, there must be one corresponding show that is at least 50% Canadian content. This is why we got five years of Earth: Final Conflict, why Mutant X will run for two years, and why Andromeda will continue to be made as long as Sorbo wants to do it.

On the plus side, it's also why SG-1 manages to maintain such a relatively high quality level for its comparatively tiny budget.

Mark

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a similar, yet not at all similar vein, Canadian TV sucks.

Oh. Jag?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to live in Canada to see the episodes before official airing. But you need a satellite dish with a diameter between six and ten feet. [Big Grin]

Wildfeed

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the local TV listings, it doesn't look like ENT is airing here anymore. Not within the next couple of weeks, anyway.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have Bell ExpressVu service, you can be anywhere in Canada and get A-Channel, like here in the maritimes [Smile]

And because I live in the Maritimes, ENT airs at 11 pm my time, so I'd be the more likely candidate to do early writeups and such, seeing as where there'd be nothing barring my watching of the episode at that time (unless the weather's bad or something [Wink] )

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? *checks TV schedule* HOLY COW. He's right, I get it today as well! Take that, you backwards liberity loving Pepsi drinking producer of second-rate home electronics Americans!

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

For Tim

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps