Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ The Tech Shockwave Returns! ["Shockwave Part II" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$ The Tech Shockwave Returns! ["Shockwave Part II" Spoilers]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with Pepsi? It's only the best cola. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Tom, but I actually saw that article already after I'd posted that comment.
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should point out that StarChoice users also get A-Channel, so NAH!

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Choice, pfft. [Smile]

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, it appears that it's only rerunning Shockwave part I here in Ontario tonight, so I want to retract my previous boasting statement, and instead offer in its place 100 bars of latinum on Mark's head.

*waits 'til Wednesday like everyone else*

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David cannot offer 100 bars on my head. I am the only one here who knows David's secret - and as such, I am completely safe.

Okay, the episode starts NOW. Back soon with spoilerific goodness. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hm i might even hold off on spoilers for a day..i will be surprised either going 'Holy Crap!', or possibly 'Wholly Crap!'

time will tell.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's started right now.

"Books...made with paper!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Awesome episode. We got to see the very first Jeffries tubes (only Hoshi could fit in them). A new Vulcan ship was seen, as well. It seemed like it was the Haven ship with the globe removed and a Vulcan warp ring put in there instead. There was no technology in the 31st century that we saw. Archer and Daniels managed to make a time-portal-window thingy with Archer's scanner, communicator, some copper and other stuff. In conjunction with Daniels's magic PADD, Archer was able to get back to the 22nd century.

On a non-tech note, it seems as though by Daniels's time the Federation has fallen, or been absorbed into a new, bigger organization. There was supposedly a monument commemorating the Federation. In the library, Archer found a book: "The Romulan Star Empire", to which Daniels grabbed the book and said "Maybe it's best you don't read that." [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go! SPOILERS, yo!

[Editted to clean up some spelling. Written during commercial breaks]

-Nothing new in the opening sequence. Bakula does the "Last time on Enterprise" narration. I do hope they change the title sequence at at least one point during the course of this show - Voyager's titles did get kinda dry after a while. They can keep the song. [Wink]

-As the Suliban start to board the ship, a cell pod (with Silik aboard?) actually docks at the starboard hatch, instead of using the shuttlebay as expected. We've pretty much established that the starboard hatch is used for alien ships, and the port for standard / Vulcan ships; this seems to continue proving that theory. Cell ships are also shown docked in a pearl necklace formation, as we've seen on the Helix.

-That's one hell of a library CGI set.

-Contrary to previous romours, Enterprise is NOT three days overdue for her first return home; rather, she's that long overdue for her rendevous with the Vulcan ship scheduled to pick up T'Pol and Phlox. The Vulcan ship is called the D'kyr (spelling via CC), and is ordered to find them.

-Enterprise is commandeered and taken back to the red Helix. Oddly enough, the Helix sets are very well lit this time.

-That unnamed Starfleet commander from the pilot is back, mostly to be someone to argue with Soval, along with Admiral Forrest. Though this guy has had next to no lines, wouldn't it be cool if he'd eventually show up as the Captain of Starfleet's next warp 5 ship?

-The temporal toilet the plot went through had TONS of stuff messed up. Silik can't contact FutureGuy. Earth is toast, and that library is filled only with BOOKS - one of which is titled "The Romulan Star Empire"...

-The Suliban interrogate T'Pol. It's nice to see that while they left Klaang fully clothed, they felt the need to strip T'Pol to her undies to do exactly what they did to the Klingon.

-Hoshi and Travis's quarters are on C Deck, while Trip and Malcom are up on B. Senior officer's quarters, perhaps?

-Hip, stylish points - the sink in at least T'Pol's quarters is of that funky, anachronistic style that looks like a bowl on a shelf. Also, T'Pol's pants are suddenly those low-cut hiphangers that've come into style in the past couple of years. They serve to show even MORE of her. Le sigh...

-With Archer's communicator and scanner (he calls is a scanner), Daniels is able to rig a primitive temporal communicator. Go go, MacGyver!

-FutureGuy comes from somewhere in the 28th century. They have the ability only to project fuzzy images of themselves into the past. This is somewhat inconsistent with established time travel we've seen beforehand... People have been seen to travel in time themselves, fairly precisely, from times as near as only a few decades from the TNG timeframe.

-Hoshi crawls through some air ducts at one point on the way to losing her top (why was she wearing civvies that can conveniently fall off, anyway? It's not like they're any more form-fitting than her uniform). And she brings a flashlight, despite the fact that the ducts are needlessly well lit.

-Suliban guns are somewhat more detailed this time around, and rifles show up. Oddly, pistols of the same kind are different shades of brown. They're also mottled.

-Daniels keeps the temporal stuff in his quarters in his locker. And I mean IN it! There's some sort of TARDIS-like panel in the locker door.

-The ends of the arms on Archer's chair can swing out a little bit, so the displays on the ends of them can "surround" the occupant a little. You see it pop out when Reed is thrown over it. [Wink]

-As part of the plan, the temporal dohickey in the TARDIS compartment is eventually captured by the Suliban. Silik, who had spent most of the episode trying to contact FutureGuy, puts the dohickey on the platform. Lo and behold, out pops Archer! Who knows if this is a function of the temporal platform, or if the dohickey did it, but that's how Archer got back.

-Also as part of the plan, Enterprise fakes a core breach in a spectacular pyro display to escape. It looked REALLY cool and convincing, but one wonders how much damage they actually did to the nacelles to do it.

-There's a pitched chase scene that follows, as Enterprise tries in vain to escape. It was spectacular and highly visual, and Enterprise took a real pounding (but is doubtless going to be okay for next week, or until that mine shows up). Oh, and they fired the phase cannons at warp during the fight.

-The D'kyr looks WAY COOL!!!!!!!! It's a new Vulcan design, and is significantly different than what we've seen before. Imagine that Tarellian plague ship from "Haven", without the glowey sphere, but with a Vulcan warp ring stuffed in there instead. And corresponding to what I said above, they dock at the port hatch. Actually, the resemblance to the Tarellian ship may not be coincidental... It REALLY looks like it.

-Resolution: The Vulcans still wanted to axe Enterprise's mission, but T'Pol's "over the top" speech saved the day and convinced the Vulcans to reneg. Enterprise warps off, apparently pristine.

Whew! I'll probably add more after a re-watch, but I gotta watch the JAG season finale now. [Wink] This was a pretty good episode, though it resolved a relatively simple plot with more action than story. Ah well, next week seems to make up for it.

Mark

[ September 17, 2002, 21:04: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this sounds like the best part of the whole episode [Wink]
-Hoshi crawls through some air ducts at one point on the way to losing her top (why was she wearing civvies that can conveniently fall off, anyway? It's not like they're any more form-fitting than her uniform). And she brings a flashlight, despite the fact that the ducts are needlessly well lit.

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the commander from the pilot has a name.. Commander Williams

William(s), Leonard and (De)Forest were a reference to Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniels learned how to build a temporal communicator back in high school, where every desk has a quantum discriminator!

Yeah! Looks like the education system will FINALLY get increased funding in 1000 years!

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

On the rewatch, I noticed what must be the first real FX bumble on the show. In the last two FX shots that show Enterprise being pasted by the Suliban, note that phase cannon blasts are being fired at cell ships ABOVE the saucer. In the shot that we look at Enterprise from behind, we see one or two emission points that may be on the fore dorsal of the saucer, though these MAY be the two ventral mounts.

However, in the shot following, we see blasts erupting from the two plasma venting doodads on the dorsal side of the catamarans, AND from a port ventral mount corresponding to the aft starboard ventral we've seen before. I guess that these may also be explained away as weapons added when we weren't looking, but if a future episode says again that they only have three cannons, then...

Oh yeah - at the begining of the show, Reed orders security teams to docking ports 1-3. Where's the third?

Mark

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
On the rewatch, I noticed what must be the first real FX bumble on the show. In the last two FX shots that show Enterprise being pasted by the Suliban, note that phase cannon blasts are being fired at cell ships ABOVE the saucer. In the shot that we look at Enterprise from behind, we see one or two emission points that may be on the fore dorsal of the saucer, though these MAY be the two ventral mounts.

However, in the shot following, we see blasts erupting from the two plasma venting doodads on the dorsal side of the catamarans, AND from a port ventral mount corresponding to the aft starboard ventral we've seen before. I guess that these may also be explained away as weapons added when we weren't looking, but if a future episode says again that they only have three cannons, then...

Oh yeah - at the begining of the show, Reed orders security teams to docking ports 1-3. Where's the third?

Mark

Maybe "Docking port 1" is the dropbay. Remember there are two additional bays behind the two they use for the shuttles.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps