Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hmm . . . Type 7? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hmm . . . Type 7?
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
link

Is it just me, or does that look substantially different than a Type 7 shuttle?

(I mean, besides the fact that it's in pieces)

The hull shape is way off, and there seems to be no obvious attachment to where the nacelles ought to have been. Finally, those stripes are odd.

For comparison:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/factfiles/type7.jpg

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/worldtour/shuttle7.jpg

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/other/damaged-shuttle-wolf359.jpg

Further, did we see them in a Type-7 before it crashed?

Sorry if I'm being uber-nitpicky.

[ September 23, 2002, 01:46: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shuttle (from "Skin of Evil") was never shown intact. It was identified as "shuttle 13", and used the interior sets of the Type 7 shuttle, since those were the only interiors available at the time. And it was one of the few to have an expendable chauffeur and not a leading character flying it. But that's pretty much all we know about it.

When the rest of the heroes study the situation from aboard the Enterprise, the Okudagrams show the image of an intact Type 7. However, this may be taken to merely be a standard symbol for "Starfleet Shuttlecraft", regardless of the actual type of the craft.

Interestingly enough, this is the only TNG shuttle that was witnessed to be in independent warp transit between star systems (although only in dialogue, not in visuals). All the other shuttles in TNG puttered around at impulse, or performed their possible interstellar trips off screen AND off microphone.

One could thus speculate that it takes a special shuttle design to perform an interstellar voyage. Types 6 and 7 probably did have warp drive, since they had nacelles, and since later shuttles of comparable design have been warp-capable. But this special shuttle may have been the TNG era runabout, capable of significantly higher warp factors.

It is worth noting that the crashed shuttle was built in miniature form, and completely from scratch. Thus, there was no reason it COULDN'T have been an exact likeness of a Type 7 if that was the producers' intention. It is also obvious that there was NO attempt whatsoever to make it look like a type 7. The apparent "rear window" is a prominent (and runabout-like) feature that apparently deliberately completely separates the wreckage from Type 7.

Timo Saloniemi

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do the nacelles of Starfleet shuttles and runabouts separate from the main body in a crash? This occured with 'Shuttlecraft 13' and the Yangtze Kiang in "Battle Lines". I think there is a third instance where this event occured. Maybe the Campbell, of "Power Play"? Opinions.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the okudagram didn't show a Type 7, but the shuttle from the Velara III matte painting/Conspiracy computer screens.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
IIRC the okudagram didn't show a Type 7, but the shuttle from the Velara III matte painting/Conspiracy computer screens.

Pic

Also, I thought the Conspiracy screen was showing a Type-7.

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ That looks a lot like the Type 7 to me, although the two are very similar.

The main difference between the two are those long windows, but you can't see that far in the display. I personally consider the two(or more) designs Type 7 shuttles, but maybe the dreaded differently sized variants. The mock up exterior in Skin of Evil is way smaller than the bad one used in the various season two shuttlebay shots.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting question! Yeah, it's nitpicky, but that's what we're here for. Right, guys? [Wink]

I suppose I can't come up with a Trek-universe answer, but the Encyclopedia specifically mentioned that the production team had trouble making models based on that extremely-curved shuttle design. I guess that they didn't try too hard for the partial hull that was going to be buried in rock for one episode.

Besides, I'd think that the nacelles and the basic curved shape are enough to conclude that it was a Type-7. IMO of course.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.thetrekker.org/sciota.html

Since someone brought it up, a possible runabout from the pre-TNG era.

I don't think any of the TNG Shuttles are large enough to be Runabouts.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meh.. needs some continuity fixing, since in 'paradise' [ds9] o'brien mentions that they came in a runabout, and the dude asks 'what's a runabout' and o'brien responds 'its a new kind of ship they came up with two years ago' or something like that.

of course, i find that distasteful since runabouts were mentioned in both a diane carey novel and the fasa rpg. but that's just me.

possibly runabouts had always been around, but o'brien was specifically referring to the danube-class. and the engineer guy in the episode would have to be a moron. which he was.

ok fixed.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If inter-episode reuse means anything, shuttle 13 was, prior to this, stolen by one of Wesley's friends and then saved thanks to careful air-traffic controlling.

Or at least, that's what the encyclopedia says. I don't think I was actually able to make out the number on the shuttle, which is never quite seen from the right angle to do so. Or am I crazy and backwards and wrong? I am only home for a day. Or two.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From "Paradise":

ALIXUS
After all this time... visitors!
Welcome to our community. Are there
others?

SISKO
Just an empty runabout in orbit.
Hopefully, it'll attract some
attention.

JOSEPH
     (hungry for news)
"Runabout." Is that some kind of
new Starfleet vessel?

O'BRIEN
     (realizing he wouldn't
     know)
Yeah, they commissioned the first
ones two years ago... they're short-
range interstellar craft... about a
quarter the size of your... "cabin"
here...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nacelles in the shuttlepod used in Power Play never seperated... they just got buried with most of the shuttle. That shuttle looks like it was made fairly quickly though. Kinda funny, the nacelles look like the ones on the Princeton model that Greg Jein made later on.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't believe the "Skin of Evil" mock-up had anything to do with Type 7. If the intent was to imitate Type 7, no matter how poorly, it would make no sense to paint on those cheat lines that were not part of the Type 7 paint pattern. And the mock-up has plenty of intricate compound curves already, so it's not as if there were savings involved.

Either a new design was supposed to be suggested all the time, but TPTB had no interest in making it a full model, or reusing it. So they asked the modelers to come up with a little something.

Or then there were spare elements of suitable size lying about somewhere (perhaps failed experiments at producing a Probert-type "Sphinx" shuttle), and TPTB said "Yes, we did want Type 7, but those elements are so handy that we'll use them instead. Don't bother modifying them, we don't have the money or the time".

Either way, our wreckage in "Skin of Evil" does represent a "new and unseen design" - or at least I can see no harm in assuming this is the case.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo Saloniemi

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Either way, our wreckage in "Skin of Evil" does represent a "new and unseen design" - or at least I can see no harm in assuming this is the case.

(pats self on back) [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, we�ve already had this discussion actually and already concluded that it was a variant. Check out my page from more screengrabs, these are at least a year old, I forget.

Federation shuttles

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.