Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Cochrane 8000 vs. 59318

Author Topic: U.S.S. Cochrane 8000 vs. 59318
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just made a screenshot of the Oberth-class vessel from the TNG episode "The Drumhead". What do you think? The last 3 digits look like "318" to me. And with a little bit of fantasy I can see "59" too.

http://st-spike.de/misc/cochrane.jpg
http://st-spike.de/misc/cochrane2.jpg

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, sure looks like 59318. Will have a look at the ep myself tomorrow.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly a five-digit number. I always doubted that they would actually relabel the good old Oberth for that.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second shot is clearly 59318. The question is where they got the 8000 from.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you all. There is no amount of fantasy needed to see that the registry is 59318.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:

"They" is us. NCC-59318 is the only number ever given to the ship in any official publication. However, some viewers thought they read NCC-8000 in the episode, promptly proceeded to denounce the Encyclopedia as having made the number up, and it was perpetuated from there. Clearly, they were wrong.

Incidentally, the NCC-59318 number also appeared later on the casualty list in DS9 "In the Pale Moonlight." This led to the argument that there were in fact two U.S.S. Cochranes of the Oberth class, the NCC-8000 and NCC-59318. I haven't ever really supported this, and now I see it has no validity at all.

[ October 21, 2002, 20:29: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felix the Kzin:
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:

"They" is us. NCC-59318 is the only number ever given to the ship in any official publication. However, some viewers thought they read NCC-8000 in the episode, promptly proceeded to denounce the Encyclopedia as having made the number up, and it was perpetuated from there. Clearly, they were wrong.

Incidentally, the NCC-59318 number also appeared later on the casualty list in DS9 "In the Pale Moonlight." This led to the argument that there were in fact two U.S.S. Cochranes of the Oberth class, the NCC-8000 and NCC-59318. I haven't ever really supported this, and now I see it has no validity at all.

I thought the 8000 was from startrek.com, but obviously I confused it with another vessel then.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.