Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ Watch your technological step! ["Minefield" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$$ Watch your technological step! ["Minefield" Spoilers]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old habits die hard.

Another interesting point is that the...tool...(hydrospanner?) that Archer disassembled uses the same power cell as the phase pistols, which was nice.

Reed has some serious issues, though I suppose that's better suited for the "Enterprise" forum.

One thing I am curious about: does the fancy quantum whatsit disable cloaking devices, or does it merely detect them, allowing them to show up onscreen? The mine that attaches itself to the ship is made visible to Reed and Archer, but the cloak might deactivate once it connects, since it is supposed to explode right away.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that those beacons penetrate cloaking fields.

No, really. Wouldn't make for a very dramatic vfx sequence if cloaked ships (or mines, in this case) weren't lit up like christmas trees.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm most curious about Reed's mention of a Royal Navy in which his great-uncle served. If we're generous and assume 35 years between generations, that would still mean that Reed's relative was living in a yellow submarine (or a grey one) around 2080 -- thirty years after World War III. I suppose it's possible that some of the national militaries could be resurrected... but does that really make much sense in a post-First Contact society?

I haven't seen the episode so I'm not sure exactly what was said but perhaps there was a temporary global government that was a (constitutional) monarchy? We know from Farpoint that even after FC life in some parts of earth was hard; a monarch would provide a figure for the people of earth to rally around as well as a strong executive. The monarch would also be a something constant for people to look to in a time of immense change. Just a thought....

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
"Don't worry Admiral Forrester, it's just a scratch on the paint job. It'll come right off with some elbow grease..."

"Sir, C deck is losing atmospheric pressure again! And someone stole one of our impulse reactors!"

"I'll have to call you back, sir."

Thanks for my new signature! [Smile]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They could have beamed Reed off...they didn't know the mine would have a delayed detonation.
Why not just beam the mine farther out into space? So what if it's scrambled in the transporter, it's just gonna blow up anyway. They could go ahead and sever the mine's metal leg...it wouldn't make any difference.

And no, the beacon didn't decloak any of the mines, it just made them visible on the viewscreen. In the exterior shots, the beacon was still active, but no mines are visible.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as how it is unsafe to use a 22nd century human transporter in a stiff wind, I don't think I'd be too eager to use it to try and separate Reed from the mine.

"What we got back...exploded! Total gross out, sir. We're gonna need a cleanup team down here on the double. On the bright side, scans show that, instead of tricobalt, the mine's interior is now filled with lungs."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the 'subs' were really DY - class vessels with their 'sub'-esque features!?! ;o)

Maybe it was a sub on Europa! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Triton-Class Spatial Torpodoe"

Triton = Greek mythology. A sea god having a man's head and upper body and a dolphin's tail.

Spatial = Of, involving, occupying, or having the nature of space.

So, in my opinion, this class of torpodoe is used on Starfleet ships prior to the introduction of the Enterprise NX-01 .

Which raises a question for me, when and why did Earth ships get armed with weapons? We know from the past examples of Earth ships, the DY-series and others, that they didn't carry weapons prior to the 22nd century. So, what event or events transpired which forced the designers of the newer Earth ships to equip them with weapons and polarized hull plating?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pirates? Plain old habit? Frankly, given the rather violent nature of Human history, I'm sure that the first spaceship designers simply decided to put weapons on with the assumption that SOMEONE out in the galaxy would be hostile.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the designers saw the Vulcans, Tellarites and whatnot carry weapons on their ships. Especially if the Vulcans were fighting the Andorians in that era.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
We know from the past examples of Earth ships, the DY-series and others, that they didn't carry weapons prior to the 22nd century.

Do we know that? I can't think of a single instance where an older vessel's weapons would have been mentioned. The Botany Bay was adrift in space, the Valiant ran into the Galactic Brrier, the Fiscus sector ships were out on their own. What would any of them have been shooting at? They could have had waepons for all we know, it was just never relevant to mention them.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fortunate is our only explicit example of an armed early Earth vessel, really.

Perhaps we could re-fit the Kzinti into the timeline, and say that they provided some minor military entertainment to Earth prior to the events of ENT?

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll only accept the Kzin back into this universe if an Enterprise cast member gets to say the line: "The Kzin are pussycats compared to the Klingons." 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So, what event or events transpired which forced the designers of the newer Earth ships to equip them with weapons and polarized hull plating?"

Common sense.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I am curious about: does the fancy quantum whatsit disable cloaking devices, or does it merely detect them, allowing them to show up onscreen?

My guess is that it's some sort of active sensor. Just because the cloak can block all internal emissions doesn't necessarily mean it can stop the thing from reflecting various particles.

Why not just beam the mine farther out into space?

They'd have to rematerialize the thing in the transport chamber, and probably wait for the transporter to cycle. No site-to-site yet, I wouldn't think.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps