Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ Watch your technological step! ["Minefield" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$$ Watch your technological step! ["Minefield" Spoilers]
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm.. i just thought of something.

In the novel Final Frontier, Diane Carey's Romulans place a mine on the hull of the Enterprise that needs to be pried off carefully by officers in spacesuits, its set to go off if detached.

handy little coincidence, continuity wise.

oh well.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
indeed, matey.
IP: Logged
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cloaked mines do make the cloaked self-replicating mines from two centuries in the "future" slightly less impressive. *shrug*
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got the impression that it was the cloak that was supposed to be impressive.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that whole bit where the mine notices its next-door neighbour's just been destroyed and immediately sets about replicating a replacement, that was a corker.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i thought the imprssive part was that they could explode. i mean, we can't get our cloaked self-replicating mines to explode now!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Federation mines that explode, I thought they were supposed to be the bad guys.

Can you imagine a Starfleet ground-based minefield? Probably just increasingly-stern warnings not to go any further or else ("or else" not specified) before, in the end, saying that the enemy have gotten through the minefield so they migh as well just carry on, but their ambassador will be receiving a strongly-worded letter of complaint next week.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXT: A gloomy field stretches out in front of a Starfleet camp. A Cardassian soldier creeps slowly across it. Suddenly, something leaps up out of the sandy soil and attaches itself to his ankles.

"Hi! I'm a Starfleet Mk. IV Anti-personnel Device! It looks like you're trespassing in Federation territory."

"Uh oh! It looks like you're carrying a Cardassian "Cobra" disrupter rifle. Those aren't allowed within a one point five kilometer radius of Federation facilities. Sorry!"

A wirelike extension slips out from the device and embeds itself in the Cardassian's rifle, causing it to spark and short out.

"Uh oh! You've moved another two meters into Federation territory. Pursuent to General Order 3467, you'll have to be removed. Please remain calm."

The device hums a bit as its antigrav generator kicks in, and the Cardassian is carried away at a brisk but safe speed.

"Thank you for stepping in a Starfleet Restricted Area! Please accept this copy of the complete works of Surak. Best read on any style of PADD. Have a nice day!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I wager 400 quatloos on the newcomer"

hmm, I wonder if the Ferengi ever went to Triskelion?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

probably.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simon: I assume the Starfleet antipersonnel device is shaped strangely like a large paperclip w/ eyes?
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waitaminute...

Tricobalt explosives?? [Eek!] Weren't those very new in the TNG era?? As in, made for destroying the Borg? And didn't just two of those destroy the Caretaker?

I know you can determin the yield of the buggers, but this is ridiculous! [Frown]

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naah. Tricobalt weapons (or computer simulations thereof) were used to "destroy" Kirk's ship in TOS "A Taste of Armageddon". Since the Eminians were just another society to be completely subdued and re-educated by a trademark Kirk speech'n'fisticuffs, we got the impression that Eminian weapons tech wasn't all that advanced, either.

The weapons in VOY might have been about as effective as a photon torpedo. Or then slightly less so. It did take two of them to destroy the array, and that through a series of internal explosions instead of instant vaporization. One torp could have destroyed the similarly sized Lysian command center in TNG "Conundrum".

VOY "The Voyager Conspiracy" muddles up the issue somewhat, by listing the tricobalts as "illegal subspace weapons". But that doesn't mean they are supertech. they could be illegal because they represent a "dirty", primitive technology that produces unacceptable collateral damage.

And we've never heard of the tricobalts being used against the Borg, or developed for that purpose. Nor the q-torps or regenerative phasers or any other weapons system, really - save for the original, failed Defiant.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Tricobalt explosives first appeared in the hands of those bothersome Vendikarians (or was it the Eminarians?) in "A Taste of Armageddon," 100 Trek years and 23 or 24 real years before the Borg showed up.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Curse you and your fast response times!
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps