Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Steamrunner Torpedo Launcher (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Steamrunner Torpedo Launcher
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me the locations of the fore/aft torpedo launchers on the Steamrunner-class? In the movie First Contact, where do the torps come from (or does the Appalachia fire any?).

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a look on the DVD for you and the Steamrunner is never seen fireing anything but phasers. However the model was of such a low resolution and the details were so blurry that the tubes could be anywhere.

On an assosiated topic, while freeze framing through I noticed that nearly all the Steamrunners seen were almost instantly destroyed.
It looks like the ILM boys really liked destroying that mesh, they even blew one up after the Cube was defeated. Now that's just vindictive. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would speculate that the torpedo launchers are located in the notched "nose" area, maybe just below those horrid shuttlebay-like doors.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I would speculate that the torpedo launchers are located in the notched "nose" area, maybe just below those horrid shuttlebay-like doors.

that makes sense to me.
IP: Logged
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For that matter, they could be in the underslung pod between the nacelles.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder this ship takes a hit and blows up.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both the pod and the notches sound good - fore and aft.

Decisions, decisions...

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange, I've always considers those "doors" in the front notch to be auxillery deflectors since I'm sure I've seen them glow blue around the edges. On the other hand that glow could be a sign of an atmospheric containment field, perhaps a second look is warrented.

Having the launchers in the outboard pod would be an explosive combination if it took a hit, especially if the warp core in in there too.

--------------------

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the warp core is in the main body of the ship, then it would be no more "explosive" than the setup on the Miranda. Since there seems to be very little in the way of a connection between the pod and the main hull (unless you want to run a turbolift shaft through one of the nacelles), having main engineering in the pod would be very inconvenient for the crews.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole setup smacks of a somewhat "noncombatant" ship to me. No evidence of torpedo tubes, not much in the way of shielding or other survivability, no direct access to engineering spaces...

In other words, this could be an "auxiliary" vessel instead of a frontline combatant. With one HUGE shuttlebay door. An assault transport of some sort, with minimal phaser armament. Finally, a Starfleet ship with an actual mission-specific design!

The role of the Steamrunners in "FC" would have been the same as the poor Bonestell's in "Emissary" - cannonfodder used because it was available at the location at the time. The ships would serve in a more relevant role in the Dominion war, carrying troops to planets to be occupied or something like that.

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be interesting to see a modern ship without torp launchers finally. I've seen usually ships from the Movie era like the Oberth and Miranda Classes that basically are sitting ducks.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Treknophyle
Member # 509

I'm going with the premise that the vessel is a fighter-carrier. I would have made it a through-deck carrier, except that the forward doors are on deck 8, while the aft doors are on deck 7. Also, the forward and aft doors do not line up laterally.

I doubt the warp core is in the deflector pod.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but there are a couple of Steamrunners right at the front of Sisko's fleet at the 2nd battle of Chin'toka, in The Changing Face of Evil. Hardly noncombatant, I'd say.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I really don't like the idea of a dedicated figher carrier, to me that's a far too militaristic designation for a starfleet ship.
A medium support vessel that's been refitted with light weaponary however, is quite accept able.

I know that's splitting the hair quite thin but I we should try to remember that starfleet vessels are supposed to be geared towards a more peaceful, scientific/diplomatic/engineering purpose first and a defensive (not offensive) role second.
Of couse the Defiant, Prometheus and maybe the Entente are exceptions to this rule.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet mightn't call their starships "warship" or "battle cruiser", but that's effectively what most are. Fact is, most Starfleet ships are at least as heavily armed as the dedicated warships used by the Klingons and Cardassians.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.