Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Steamrunner Torpedo Launcher (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Steamrunner Torpedo Launcher
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steamrunners were out in force in the fleet at the end of "Call to Arms".

Don't forget the fleet during FC had been battling the Borg vessel for a while before the Enterprise (and we) got there. Maybe the Steamrunners had been there longer or in there first and used up all of their torpedoes (thus not seeing any being fired) and they were in there for so long that they were close to destruction.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
If the warp core is in the main body of the ship, then it would be no more "explosive" than the setup on the Miranda. Since there seems to be very little in the way of a connection between the pod and the main hull (unless you want to run a turbolift shaft through one of the nacelles), having main engineering in the pod would be very inconvenient for the crews.

Well, if the warp core is in the main body, then double the power is needed to go through the nacelles to power the deflector on the pod.

A shrapnel hit to the nacelles would take out both warp and deflector, and then cuasing some feedback into the warp core which ultimately destroys the ship, just like in FC. [Big Grin]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a point.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent point - sound very much like Starfleet Engineering to me...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although. . . I'm not too sure about the deflector requiring the same amount of energy as a set of warp nacelles? Or am I just taking the 'double the power' comment too literally?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Steamrunners were out in force in the fleet at the end of "Call to Arms".

Don't forget the fleet during FC had been battling the Borg vessel for a while before the Enterprise (and we) got there.
Maybe the Steamrunners had been there longer or in there first and used up all of their torpedoes (thus not seeing any being fired) and they were in there for so long that they were close to destruction.

Andrew

I've often thought about that as well. At maximum warp it still took the Enterprise over three hours to arrive at the battle.
ALOT of fed ships were doubtlessly destroyed while fighting a retreating battle from the Typhon sector to Earth.
Either the Steamrunners were called in as renforcements or were in route from more distant locations and got to the fight late.
...or the Steamrunner is very tough and the ships we see getting nailed had been taking a pounding (like Defiant) for a while prior to Enterprise's arrival.
I'd imagine that the Borg dispatched the ships they were familliar with first: explaining why there was only one Nebula left and no Galaxy's or Excelsiors. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I'd imagine that the Borg dispatched the ships they were familliar with first: explaining why there was only one Nebula left and no Galaxy's or Excelsiors. [Wink]

Come to think of it, it seems like a minor miracle that there wasn't any Excelsiors seen in the battle. Considering how common they were in the Dominion War battles anyway.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye Starfleet knew that sending Excelsiors and Mirandas would be so much pissing in the wind....of course these are the brainiacs that sent an Oberth into battle at 359. [Razz]
(I'm sure that the Miranda briefly shown is supposed to be the Boseman: mentioned in the comm chatter).

Of course the real reason we did not see any Galaxys was to avoid confusion among the casual viewer as to what ship the Enterprise was.
It also explains why none of the First Contact ships is much larger than an Excelsior. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Bozeman we know of isn't a Miranda, and if there's a Bozeman out there we don't know about there's no reason for it to be a Miranda.
Lee
Member # 393

. . . and there were two Mirandas anyway. Both seen clearly enough to remove any possibility they might actually be Soyuz-class.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course the real reason we did not see any Galaxys was to avoid confusion among the casual viewer as to what ship the Enterprise was.

Of course, by the time the Borg battle scenes come, we had already seen the E-E. ("We" also includes the casual viewer as when we first see her, she was alone and had Picard's log entry over it along with the Observation Lounge scene right after it... so that the casual viewer should have deduced it was the E-E. But, then of course, the producers and TPTB think we're dumb.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The only Bozeman we know of isn't a Miranda, and if there's a Bozeman out there we don't know about there's no reason for it to be a Miranda.

It's entirely feasible that the Bozeman was refit to Miranda standard. It's pretty clear the Miranda-class well outlived the Soyuz-class so there must be some benefit to the Miranda configuration.

Along with the FC appearance, I also think that the Miranda seen at the end of Generations was the Bozeman.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'd never considered that the Miranda in Generations could be the Bozeman.....it makes sense. Starfleet would likely keep that crew togeather to speed up the learning curve for the new technology.
I agree that the Bozeman would be refitted into a Miranda configuration.
The crew of the Bozeman is probably somewhat famous among starfleet as living icons of the past, but I just can't picture Kelsey Grammer in a DS9 era uniform. [Wink]
I'd imagine that any ship captains assigned to older ships like a Miranda or Excelsior were looking at re-assignment to brand new ships as starfleet rebuilds in a panic after the Dominion war. There must be a large shortage in experienced captains for the new vessels.
Mabye "Fraiser" got an uprated Akira to command or at least a Sabre....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Rumour has it that it's Kelsey Grammers voice in FC (the "acknowledged" from the Bozeman) but I don't think it's ever been confirmed.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It never has been. Most think it's just Worf, and it's distorted enough to be acceptable as such.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.