Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » You're the Admiral! Sector Gamma (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: You're the Admiral! Sector Gamma
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SECTOR GAMMA

Welcome to Sector Gamma, gentlemen. For the newcomers, what we’re engaging in is a thread of semi-directed hypothetical discussion of fleet deployment in the Star Trek universe. As the Rear Admiral assigned to this sector, it’ll be your job to assemble, deploy and manage the Starfleet ships in the area. Prior to participating in this thread, I strongly recommend you read over the threads for Sectors Alpha and Beta, so we can remember what we were doing this spring. New participants should also read them over to familiarize themselves with the concept. Unless you’re Timo, the time frame is no more than five years after the end of the Dominion War. The Alpha Quadrant is still recovering from the war, although some powers are worse off than others.
You’ll find that many of the same setup locations are the same as for sectors Alpha and Beta, which I’ll repeat again:

-the sector is essentially flat, and is approximately 20 ly on a side. At warp nine, a starship will take approximately five days to traverse a side.
-each asterisk represents a main-sequence star with little interesting about it.
-each planet is in a star system, and except where noted is Class-M. Circle sizes are not relevant.
-the space in the adjoining sectors is essentially devoid of anything interesting or valuable unless noted.
-unless noted, all inhabited planets are occupied by humanoid species with a variety of bumpy heads.

Now for the background specific to the sector. Assume that this is the summary of the briefing you as a Rear Admiral have received at your previous posting.

-Sector Gamma is located somewhere “below” Cardassian space – that is, on the traditional maps of the galaxy we’re familiar with, it’s “under” the usual power structure in the area. The sector is still fairly remote, with any ships from known other races or powers being at least two weeks away at high warp.

-Sector Gamma is located on the edge of Cardassian space as it was prior to the war. When the war broke out, this sector was relatively far-removed from the main lines, and only minor skirmishes happened. After the Dominion was pushed back into their space in “Sacrifice of Angels”, this sector was one of several that were virtually abandoned by them, and it remained essentially out of the war until its end.

-Following the Dominion War, a splinter factions of Cardassians who followed the ideals of their old military dictatorship (as opposed to whatever civilian government is in charge now) came to the sector, installed themselves as the leaders of the local Cardassian colonies, and declared themselves an independent nation. Their territory extends into the sector “West” of Sector Gamma, however it doesn’t contain much aside from a couple of low-yield mining colonies on class-M worlds and a pulsar. The Cardassians have been relatively quiet since the war, engaging in trade with the other systems but not encouraging cooperation with the Federation or other major powers. Their borders are fairly open, however.

-Joval is the other major power in the sector, and while they have worked with the Federation in the past (engaging Dominion forces with them) they are not interested in a formal alliance or partnership. The Jovali (pron. joe-VAHL-ee) monarch is benevolent guy, but whose interests lie strongly in his people over those of anyone else.

-Jovalis was Joval’s first and only attempt at interstellar expansion, starting about 200 years ago. Consisting of a over a hundred rotating O’Neil-type cylinders and a dozen slightly more advanced colonies, the Jovalisi (pron. joe-VAHL-iss-eye) made their living by scooping Helium-3 and other gasses from their gas giant and processing them into exportable materials for trade. Following an economic depression fifteen years ago, the Jovalisi declared independence and applied for Federation membership. They have just been accepted as a Federation member. This has likewise been accepted by Joval, but elements of both states still desire to be together.

-Prior to their acceptance, Starfleet had operated Deep Space 12 in orbit of Jovalis, with a mission to ready them for membership. DS12 was built out of one of the smallest and oldest Jovalisi colonies, but has been reconditioned by Starfleet to be an operational starbase. Aside from artificial gravity and a minor weapons upgrade the station is not terribly advanced, however it has served adequately as a resupply and administrative base. There is a population of about two thousand on the station, about 80% of which are Jovalisi.

-The only regular starship assigned to the sector is the USS Rigorous, NCC-2732, an old Constellation-class ship. The Rigorous has a long history in the sector, being the first Federation starship to explore it five decades ago, and has been permanently stationed in the sector for most of the last two. Her captain and crew have worked together for a very long time, and are almost all experts in the sector. During the Dominion War, a task force was assigned here with the Rigorous and her crew as the flagship, and won several engagements. Bolian Captain Nall has commanded the ship since her first arrival in the sector, and she is a Federation legend to the locals.

-Zechs and Lucrezia once were on opposite sides of the border, but were swapped in first Cardassian treaties of the late 2360s. There was significant Maquis activity in the area as a result, and the resistance cells on Zechs were among the last eradicated by the Dominion. Things are much calmer these days, as most of the populations have relocated by now, but there is lingering sentiment from locals and independents on both sides.

-G’Sall is a planet in turmoil, with a relatively large population of primitive feudal states. It is uncontacted, however a joint Federation-Jovalis “duck-blind” mission is in its final stages there.

-The Pink and Purple Nebulae are big, fairly-well studied and a great place to hide stuff. The Class-N planet is basically one big puddle with little that can be mined from the water, and only one small land mass that has occasionally been used sporadically by traders on their way to somewhere else.

QUESTION ONE (Four Parts)

A) Evaluate the sector, and determine what Starfleet’s priorities should be. Note that unlike previous sectors, you’re coming into an area where Starfleet has had a small but significant presence for some time. Now that the Federation has a member world in the sector, how should Starfleet’s priorities change? Summarize your thoughts, note any gaps in the information that you were provided, and where you should focus your intelligence-gathering efforts.

B) Though Jovalis has benefited from Federation trade for several years now, their new membership will allow for a full-scale upping of their society to the latest technologies. One of the greatest tasks is the upgrading of almost one hundred of their old rotating colony cylinders with artifical gravity, upgraded power systems, and so forth, which are antiquated despite their otherwise current technology level. Starfleet can only allocate so many resources to this far-off sector, and much of it is going to this task, which will absorb hundreds of Starfleet personnel for several years. With what’s left, Starfleet will allow either a DS9-style upgrade to the DS12 station, making it into a full starbase within a year’s time; or to begin construction on a larger starbase of Starfleet design, which will take at least three years to build using a combination of components shipped in or built on-site. Given that this will be your headquarters for the foreseeable future, what would be the best option? A Starfleet starbase can be built anywhere in the sector you choose.

C) Starfleet sees this as a relatively stable sector, and while they want an expanded presence in the area they will not commit many ships to the sector. There will be a steady stream of Federation freighters coming into the sector for the Colony Upgrade Project, in addition to the expected influx of Federation trade.

1) Recommend a fleet of no more than SIX starships to be assigned to the sector. This fleet will be evaluated back at Starfleet Command, and if approved will arrive in-system AFTER the events of Question Two. However:

- There cannot be any large (Galaxy, Ambassador, Sovereign, etc.) starships in your fleet.
- There must be at least one non-combat ship in the fleet (science, transport, etc.). Justify its presence and use.

2) Until your fleet arrives, the only ships that will be assigned to the sector are the USS Rigorous and the ship you arrived in from Sector Beta (if you didn’t participate in that scenario, you’re arriving on a generic Excelsior-class starship). At your discretion, the ship you arrived on can be incorporated into your fleet. Where will you deploy your two ships until then? What will the deployment of your fleet be when they get here?

D) The USS Rigorous will not be a part of your fleet, as she is scheduled to be decommissioned after a long and eventful life; Captain Nall herself is retiring from the Fleet. However, her command crew need not be sent away as well. The Rigorous’ command crew is a good team, and includes:

First Officer – Commander Michael Boston (Human, 12 Years of Service) – Excellent Service Record. Experienced Diplomat.

Tactical – Lt. Laura Kardon (Human, 6 Years of Service) – Good Service Record. Native of Zechs. Little Combat experience.

Science – Lt. Commander Shezef (Andorian Male, 15 Years of Service) Excellent Service Record. Expert on the Pink & Purple Nebulae.

Medical – Commander Taris Tani (Bajoran Female, 20 Years of Service) – Fair Service Record. Married to a Jovalisi diplomat on DS12.

Engineering – Lt. Commander Bayl (Betazoid Male, 8 Years of Service) – Good Service Record.

Helm – Lt. (j.g.) Walter Shumar (Human, 40 years of Service) – Excellent Service Record. Legendary pilot. Has convinced all but one of his commanding officers never to promote him.

DS12’s CO is Commander Stalek (Vulcan, 20 Years of Service) – Good service record. Known to the Jovalisi, though not terribly popular.

1) As the new Admiral in the sector, you have the option of assigning this crew to your command. Do you want to keep them around, and what would you do with them? Justify your reply.

2) The Rigorous is to be decommissioned, but a group of Jovalisi citizens wishes to keep her around as a museum ship for their nation. Another group from Lucrezea also wants her, but as the flagship for a new militia they are creating. While the ship will be stripped of any sensitive technology in either case, the selling off of such an old starship to friendly concerns would not be unheard of. Recommend to Starfleet what they should do with the requests, and if any conditions should be specified to either party.

[ October 06, 2002, 08:49: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! [Smile]

I'm still in the process of learning how to use Flash animation to illustrate this stuff. In the mean time, I've already had a LCARS-style map made up... http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/command419/sector_gamma.gif

And of course I'll get right on the reply!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three questions:

1. Joval is 22nd Century equivalent but has Sovereign equivalent ships? Really?

2. "There cannot be any large (Galaxy, Ambassador, Sovereign, etc.) starships in your fleet." I take it that Nebulas and Akiras are on the prohibited list?

3. "the ship you arrived on can be incorporated into your fleet" Does it then count as one of the six or not?

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to assume that the Apollo class is the nebulaised Ambassador...

Here it is:

A)
The largest military threat comes from the Cardassians on Bifour IV; they may wish to get back at the Federation for their defeat in the DW. While their existing military force doesn't appear to be overwhelmingly powerful they could be building more- they have heavy industry and resources too do this. Are they hiding anything in the Pink Nebula?

The reunification elements on Joval and Jovalis could also cause problems if the elements decided to try and do something about it. It may be worth approaching the Jovali monarch about the possibility of his world joining the Federation. In a similar vein Zechs and Lucrezia could also be a problem if any independence movements develop.

Starfleet's aims in this sector:
1) Protect Jovalis and Federation installations in the area.

2) Gather intelligence on the Cardassians- particularly their military forces. If possible, investigate the Pink Nebula.

3) Investigate strength of feeling about reunification on Joval and Jovalis. If appropriate, approach monarch of Joval about Federation membership.

4) Investigate Zechs and Lucrezia, with regards to local independence movements- especially endeavour to find out if there is any ex-Maquis military hardware in existence.

5) Keep G'Sall isolated.

6) Encourage the industrial and economic growth of Jovalis

B)
Both proposals have their advantages; a new-build starbase will have the advantage of being placed anywhere in the sector, it will be larger and more easily upgradeable. However, the main issue here is time; the modernisation option will get the base online faster and bearing in mind the success of the DS9 upgrade any loss in size and flexibility of position is probably worth it.

C)
1)
To: Starfleet Command
Fm: DS12//RADM Sharpe, O/C- TG1189.
Re: Starfleet assets in Sector Gamma

Already present: USS Indefagitable NCC-45231 ( Excelsior class)
USS Rigorous NCC-2732 ( Constellation class) [due for decommissioning]

Requested: 1x Apollo class heavy cruiser
2x New Orleans class frigate
1x Centaur class light cruiser
1x Deneva class freighter

The Deneva class freighter will engage in assisting the Jovalisi merchant fleet in opening trade with the Cardassians on Bifour IV. She will travel a route from the Jovalisi system to the trading and supply station on the Class N planet, via the Pink Nebula to the Bifour system. She will then return to Jovalis via Zechs and Lucrezia. At all of these places the Deneva will conduct scans in order to determine what, if anything, is present and gather intelligence.

2)
The Rigorous will stay in the Jovalis system to maintain it's security (and to allow her crew to participate in the many interviews the Jovalisi media will undoubtably wish to subject them to before they leave [Big Grin] ). The Indefatigable will patrol the border between Zechs and Lucrezia. Once the remainder of the fleet arrives I will shift my flag to the Apollo class vessel and join the Indefatigable . The Deneva will commence her freight/intelligence run. One of the New Orleans and the Centaur will patrol the northern part of the border. The remaining New Orleans will join the Rigorous in Jovalis/ Joval.

D)
I will keep the Rigorous' command crew; their local knowledge and the high esteem in which they are held in by the locals will help enormously with operations.

The Rigorous' command crew is a good team, and includes:

First Officer; Commander Michael Boston (Human, 12 Years of Service) : Excellent Service Record. Experienced Diplomat.

If Commander Stalek is promoted and reassigned then Cdr Boston will be assigned as CO DS12, if not then as my Chief of Staff.

Tactical – Lt. Laura Kardon (Human, 6 Years of Service) – Good Service Record. Native of Zechs. Little Combat experience.

Assigned to my flagship- as she will then be patrolling the area between Zechs and Lucrezia; Lt. Kardon will be able to provide invaluable local knowledge.

Science – Lt. Commander Shezef (Andorian Male, 15 Years of Service) Excellent Service Record. Expert on the Pink & Purple Nebulae.

Assigned to the Deneva to assist in scans and investigations of the Pink Nebula and other targets.

Medical – Commander Taris Sani (Bajoran Female, 20 Years of Service) – Fair Service Record. Married to a Jovalisi diplomat on DS12.

Assigned CMO, DS12. Being with his wife should soften up at least one Jovalisi diplomat... [Smile]

Engineering – Lt. Commander Sayl (Betazoid Male, 8 Years of Service) – Good Service Record.

Assigned to DS12 to help supervise the refit.

Helm – Lt. (j.g.) Walter Shumar (Human, 40 years of Service) – Excellent Service Record. Legendary pilot. Has convinced all but one of his commanding officers never to promote him.

Assigned to my flagship, because I’m selfish and want a good pilot on my ship. [Wink]

DS12’s CO is Commander Stalek (Vulcan, 20 Years of Service) – Good service record. Known to the Jovalisi, though not terribly popular.

Recommend for promotion and reassignment.

2)
I would advise giving her to the Jovalisi museum, rather than the Lucrezean militia; I’m not sure giving a Federation starship to a militia whose members may wish to stir up trouble with the Cardies. They could make it out (and I’m sure the Cardies would see it like this) that the Federation was assisting them. Perhaps we could give the Lucrezeans a discount on locally produced vessels, thereby helping to develop local industry.

[ October 06, 2002, 09:12: Message edited by: Wraith ]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answering IC's questions:

1) Yup. Technology level is only a rough guide, and exceptions (like this one) are noted.

2) This depends on whether YOU consider these ships to be large or not; remember, this will be an evaluation of your fleet as compared to itself - you probably will not be able to directly compare your fleet to those of the other participants due to differing opinions on ship size, strength, etc. For example, I equivocate an Akira to be roughly like an Excelsior in size and function, though with better shields and weapons; your mileage may vary.

3) The ship you arrived on will count as one of the six.

Also note that I've retroactively changed the names of the Rigorous CMO and Engineer to Taris Tani and Bayl, respectively, since there were too many "S" names in the mix. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A) Evaluate the sector, and determine what Starfleet's priorities should be. Note that unlike previous sectors, you're coming into an area where Starfleet has had a small but significant presence for some time. Now that the Federation has a member world in the sector, how should Starfleet's priorities change? Summarize your thoughts, note any gaps in the information that you were provided, and where you should focus your intelligence-gathering efforts.

Starfleet's primary priority in the sector should be to maintain the peace that has blessed the region (on the whole) for the last few decades. Given the proximity to Cardassian territory (as indicated on the map that crossed my desk while I was shooting down those Driian bastards in Sector Beta -- yeah, I'm bitter!), I was expecting that Sector Gamma would be a region laid waste by the war. Though relations are still developing with the Jovali and Jovalisi, it is important to build on the foundation that was established by the crew of the Rigorous.

Specific measures to achieve that goal include:
  • Development and upgrade of the infrastructure in the Jovalisi colonies. (Already initiated, ongoing.)
  • Establishment of further trade relations with Joval, with the goal of a formal Federation-Joval alliance.
  • Strengthen relations with Lucrezea through trade and diplomacy.
  • Active patrol of the border with the Bifour IV breakaway colony.
The former Cardassian colony is extremely worrying; these guys are essentially loose cannons who can and will do whatever the heck they want. I'm not an expert in international law and I'm not familiar with the fine print of the Treaty of Bajor (2375), but I'm sure that Bifour IV should still be considered part of the Cardassian Union. Hopefully those guys are smart enough to know not to try to run amok with three Galors and seven Hidekis -- but then, I've just come from Sector Beta where some other hard-headed aliens just attacked superior defenses and made a major mess before getting the smackdown. I'm not about to make the same mistake again.
The colony on Lucrezea is in an ideal position to become a lichpin in any future operations in the area near Bifour IV; therefore it shall be a priority to diplomatically increase Starfleet's presence in the region. However, given that the colony is not a full Federation member we must tread carefully to not upset the local population, and also to ensure that our presence does not jeopardize them should hostilities break out.

I voiced strong opposition to the Treaty of 2367 when it was first signed -- the very idea of trading entire colony worlds in order to satisfy some stylus-pushers on the homeworld is not my idea of sound long-term diplomacy or strategy. As such, I would very much like to see the colony on Zechs returned to Federation control. This is more of a long-term goal given that the disposition of the planet is not likely to be addressed directly until the situation with Bifour IV is resolved; however, I would like to rectify the wrongs that were done, if possible.

Regarding potential gaps in intelligence -- accurate and timely information regarding the internal affairs of Bifour IV and Cardassia Prime are essential if the situation is to be resolved. Assuming these militarists on Bifour really do hold the so-called "ideals" of the Cardassian Empire, then I doubt that Bifour is really a very happy place. Intelligence missions should be initiated to:
  • Ensure that the leaders on Bifour are not preparing for any offensive or aggressive action either within or outside their territory, primarily by monitoring the activities of the known warships and military installations under their control.
  • Gather information regarding any weapons of mass destruction (conventional, subspace, or biological) which the Bifour IV leaders may posses or be in the process of developing.
  • Seek to gain information regarding any resistance movements on Bifour or its colony worlds.
Also, diplomatic updates regarding the situation on Cardassia Prime and the new civilian government's official position on Bifour are essential before any action could be taken.
Note: I just hope that the recently-elected Federation President George Bush does not start blathering about Bifour IV as a member of an "Axis of Evil" and demand that the Federation launch a pre-emptive invasion to "ensure the safety of the Federation and the Galaxy." [Razz]

Finally, there's the implicit priority to preserve the Prime Directive with respect to the pre-warp civilization on G'Sall. A five-light-year "no-fly zone" will be established around the system -- which is standard Federation policy in many high-traffic regions containing pre-warp cultures. However, Starfleet can't do much more than erect warning buoys and sensor relays at the moment. Once more starships arrive, there will be enough assets in the area to ensure enforcement of the NFZ.

B) Though Jovalis has benefited from Federation trade for several years now, their new membership will allow for a full-scale upping of their society to the latest technologies. One of the greatest tasks is the upgrading of almost one hundred of their old rotating colony cylinders with artifical gravity, upgraded power systems, and so forth, which are antiquated despite their otherwise current technology level. Starfleet can only allocate so many resources to this far-off sector, and much of it is going to this task, which will absorb hundreds of Starfleet personnel for several years. With what's left, Starfleet will allow either a DS9-style upgrade to the DS12 station, making it into a full starbase within a year's time; or to begin construction on a larger starbase of Starfleet design, which will take at least three years to build using a combination of components shipped in or built on-site. Given that this will be your headquarters for the foreseeable future, what would be the best option? A Starfleet starbase can be built anywhere in the sector you choose.

My first instinct is to upgrade Deep Space Twelve. First, the Jovali and Jovalisi strike me as a people who hold great import on precedent and tradition. As such, their former colony station, operated as a Federation Starbase, serves great use as a symbol of Federation presence and cooperation with the local inhabitants. Also, a systems upgrade on DS12 would be much more expedient than building an entirely new starbase. Finally, in my experience it is a better idea to have your seat of administration in the same area as the people you're trying to administrate.

However, if the Federation is to expand operations further into the sector, it may be a better option to construct a second base of operations that's centrally located in the sector. On the other hand, the construction zone for a new station is likely to be vulnerable to attack for a while. The primary reason for having a second base would be for operations against Bifour IV, but the situation is more than likely to be resolved before construction is completed. Furthermore, if hostilities break out before construction of the station is completed, then I'll only have one extra location to defend with my limited resources.

I shall order the upgrade to Deep Space Twelve. Which, as an O'Neill-tyle space station, probably looks something like this. [Wink]

C) Starfleet sees this as a relatively stable sector, and while they want an expanded presence in the area they will not commit many ships to the sector. There will be a steady stream of Federation freighters coming into the sector for the Colony Upgrade Project, in addition to the expected influx of Federation trade.

1) Recommend a fleet of no more than SIX starships to be assigned to the sector. This fleet will be evaluated back at Starfleet Command, and if approved will arrive in-system AFTER the events of Question Two. However:
  • There cannot be any large (Galaxy, Ambassador, Sovereign, etc.) starships in your fleet.
  • There must be at least one non-combat ship in the fleet (science, transport, etc.). Justify its presence and use.

quote:
To: Fleet Admiral Mark Nguyen
Re: Fleet Assets in Sector Gamma

Today is Stardate 56076.7 (January 28, 2379)

After reviewing the current political and historical background of Sector Gamma, and considering the current environment of the region, I hereby request that the following ships be assigned to my command:
  • 1 Andromeda-class light explorer
  • 2 Sequoia-class light cruisers
  • 2 Defiant-class or Saber-class destroyers
Sector Gamma is currently assigned the USS Rigorous (Constellation-class, NCC-2732) and USS Cerberus (Akira-class, NCC-63709). USS Rigorous is scheduled to be decommissioned within three months.
The Andromeda-class light explorer will be deployed to conduct scientific surveys of the Pink and Purple Nebulae, and sensor-intelligence sweeps of the border in the region near Bifour IV and Zechs.

The two Sequoia-class light cruisers will be deployed as general patrol vessels in Sector Gamma, and as will provide defensive support in the Joval/Jovalis System should hostilities break out.

he two Defiant-class or Saber-class destroyers will be assigned to combat patrol missions near Bifour IV and Zechs, and will form the primary tactical wing along with USS Cerberus should hostilities break out.

Signed,
Dan Carlson, RAdm02, SFCmd

Attachments:

2) Until your fleet arrives, the only ships that will be assigned to the sector are the USS Rigorous and the ship you arrived in from Sector Beta (if you didn't participate in that scenario, you're arriving on a generic Excelsior-class starship). At your discretion, the ship you arrived on can be incorporated into your fleet. Where will you deploy your two ships until then? What will the deployment of your fleet be when they get here?
Pending the allotment and deployment of further starship assets in Sector Gamma, I will deploy the USS Cerberus to patrol the border near Bifour IV and conduct preliminary intelligence sweeps. I will keep the USS Rigorous in the Jovalis system with the intention of collaborating with Captain Nall, to familiarize myself with the details of local institutions, politics, and facilities. I clearly have some big shoes to fill, as Captain Narr and her crew are without a doubt legendary, and have done wonderful work in this sector in the past 50 years. The Jovalisi are probably sad to see her go; if I can be visible and collaborate with her during the transition period, the public relations benefits with the public would be useful towards easing the process of bringing Jovalis into the Federation fold.

I'd also make it a point to ask Captain Nall about her retirement plans. I certainly don't intend to go running to her for help if I have any problems, but is she planning to return home to Bolarus, or is she going to settle on Jovalis, or Joval? (Cue Sisko's voice: "I intend to build a house on Bajor...")

D) The USS Rigorous will not be a part of your fleet, as she is scheduled to be decommissioned after a long and eventful life; Captain Nall herself is retiring from the Fleet. However, her command crew need not be sent away as well. The Rigorous' command crew is a good team, and includes:
  • First Officer -- Commander Michael Boston (Human, 12 Years of Service) -- Excellent Service Record. Experienced Diplomat.
  • Tactical -- Lt. Laura Kardon (Human, 6 Years of Service) -- Good Service Record. Native of Zechs. Little Combat experience.
  • Science -- Lt. Commander Shezef (Andorian Male, 15 Years of Service) Excellent Service Record. Expert on the Pink and Purple Nebulae.
  • Medical -- Commander Taris Tani (Bajoran Female, 20 Years of Service) -- Fair Service Record. Married to a Jovalisi diplomat on DS12.
  • Engineering -- Lt. Commander Bayl (Betazoid Male, 8 Years of Service) -- Good Service Record.
  • Helm -- Lt. (j.g.) Walter Shumar (Human, 40 years of Service) -- Excellent Service Record. Legendary pilot. Has convinced all but one of his commanding officers never to promote him.
  • DS12's CO -- Commander Stalek (Vulcan, 20 Years of Service) -- Good service record. Known to the Jovalisi, though not terribly popular.
1) As the new Admiral in the sector, you have the option of assigning this crew to your command. Do you want to keep them around, and what would you do with them? Justify your reply.
Hmm, this is an interesting question. The crew of the USS Cerberus has served admirably during the recent conflict with the Driians in Sector Beta. Given that they'll be on the front line of any potential conflict with the Cardassians on Bifour, I'll keep them where they are. Also, I expect that I may take a more administrative/diplomatic role in this sector, instead of charging around on the front lines like the last time. I'm no coward, and certainly intend to do my duty... but it'd be nice to be able to delegate for a while.

First, I'd like to consult with Captain Nall regarding the reassignment of some of her crew members. (Of course, as the writer of this reaction I can't "really" consult her, but that's what I'd do if I really were the new Rear Admiral.

I have nothing against Vulcans or Commander Stalek, but if he's not too popular, I'd put him in for reassignment to another sector. Commander Boston seems to be the perfect candidate for the command of DS12 -- he's got the benefit of experience in dealing with the Jovalisi, and obviously had some experience in a command position. His diplomatic skills would be extremely useful in dealing with all of the local inhabitants, so I would anticipate that he would be my assistant/adjutant during any major diplomatic interactions in the future.

Lieutenant Kardon seems inexperienced and I'm wary of her sentiments based on her background as a native of Zechs, which is now a Cardassian-occupied planet. Did she have any background with or sympathy for the Maquis? I notice that she joined the fleet in 2373 -- just as the Dominion and the Cardassians were finishing their massacres. Nevertheless, I can use the benefit of experience here, and I'll give her the Chief Tactical Officer position on any of the new ships (not the Cerberus).

Lt. Commander Shezef's science background would make him the perfect candidate for Science Officer of the Andromeda-class starship that I've requested. His area of expertise would be useful for the ship's surveys of the two nebulae, as well as the intelligence-gathering sensor sweeps of the Bifour-occupied planets which I ordered in part A.

Doctor Taris probably would appreciate a post on DS12, so she'll get it. (Though in my experience, marrying a Bajoran isn't necessarily the smartest idea. [Wink] ) Starfleet's policy on its officers serving in proximity to family members has been well-established by now, and I have nothing against that -- although I'm a little concerned by her "fair" service record.

Lt. Commander Bayl gets his choice of ship (again, aside from the Cerberus).

Lieutenant Shumar also gets his choice of ship, but I would encourage him to choose one of the Defiant- or Saber-class starships that's been requisitioned -- I anticipate that that's where his "legendary" piloting skills would be most useful. And I may put him in for a promotion. [Wink]

2) The Rigorous is to be decommissioned, but a group of Jovalisi citizens wishes to keep her around as a museum ship for their nation. Another group from Lucrezea also wants her, but as the flagship for a new militia they are creating. While the ship will be stripped of any sensitive technology in either case, the selling off of such an old starship to friendly concerns would not be unheard of. Recommend to Starfleet what they should do with the requests, and if any conditions should be specified to either party.

In the interest of futhering relations with the Jovalisi, they get first dibs on the hull of the Rigorous. (I'm also partial to historical interests -- I myself am listed as an official Friend of the Starfleet Museum.) However, I will put in a recommendation to Starfleet Command that they provide Lucrezea with another decommissioned starship should one become available -- there are plenty of them around after the Dominion War, and I'm sure the Federation can spare one old Miranda...

-----

I'm glad you've brought this little game back, Mark! Very glad! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NB when I say Maquis below I refer to any organistion with similar aims, even if they are not directly linked to the now extinct Maquis.

A)
Starfleet has already explored this sector fairly well so defence and diplomacy will be our main priorities. Top of the list has to come the defence of Jovalis and Lucrezea along with any shipping to and from those planets.
Second priority is the monitoring of the Cardassians and the containment of any hostile activity from that front.
Thirdly, we should comply with any reasonable requests from the Joval government. On the diplomatic front we should seek to encourage Joval to improve relationships with Jovalis and to consider Federation membership.
Fourthly, we must protect the prime directive and ensure that the population of G'Sall remain unmolested.
Fifth, we should seek to identify and neutralise any undesirable groups operting in the sector (smugglers, pirates, resurgent Maquis and the like).
Sixth, we should carry out scientific research to further improve our knowledge of the sector and its planets and nebulae.

B)
Jovalis is the only logical site for a starbase in the sector. Joval is a non-member and has only light industry. Lucrezea is too lightly populated, too close to the border and is not industralised. Therefore I'd recommend starting construction on full starbase at Jovalis.

C)
USS Rigorous - to continue routine patrols.
USS Ataturk, NCC-42861, Excelsior class - my flagship. Will carry out a circuit of the system's planets making contact with all the key players.

Remaining fleet -
USS Indefatigable, NCC-63228, New Orleans class - a bit of muscle, will be assigned to patrol the 'southern' end of the sector.
USS Hotspur, NCC-74713, Intrepid class - will be assigned a patrol routine based on the Purple Nebula. Will use her speed and sensors to counter any ships using the two nebulae as cover.
USS Assegai, NCC-62369 and USS Naginta, NCC-62408, Sabre class. Assigned to patrol shipping lanes and render aid to vessels in trouble.
USS Ushos, NCC-44177, medium transport. To aid in shipping materiel and to act as a supplementary surveyor when transport duties permit. Can be quickly refitted as a hospital ship if needed.

I would also like to request the services of a Starfleet Intelligence team to be based on Lucrezea and to investigate and infiltrate any maquis-like activity, and to counter any Cardassian activities in the area. If I need to trade in one of my Sabre class vessels to gain this asset then I will do so.

D)
Commander Michael Boston - Promoted to Captain and assigned the command of the Hotspur. Local knowledge and combat experience will be invaluable for that command.

Lt. Laura Kardon - Assigned to USS Ataturk. An experienced combat officer is always useful to have around. (Personal Log: Being a native of Zechs she may have pro-maquis sentiment and whilst I can't make allegations without proof I'd like to keep her closeby.)

Lt. Commander Shezef - Assigned to Hotspur. Knowledge of the nebulae will aid in tracking any ships using them as cover.

Commander Taris Tani - Assigned to DS12. Let's be generous and assign her to be near her husband. As DS12 will be the base for any emergency/humanitarian operations she will be ideally placed to oversee those. Also she may offset Stalek's unpopularity.

Lt. Commander Bayl - Assigned to USS Indefatigable.

Lt. (j.g.) Walter Shumar - Assigned to USS Ataturk. Maybe serving on my flag ship will reawaken his ambition, if not I gain a good helmsman.

Commander Stalek - Leave in place. With all the changes some consitancy is needed. Will also be given authority over the starbase upgrade program - something a Vulcan should excel at.

2)
Museum around Jovalisi. But request that she be kept in a state where we can re-activate her in an emergency. Lucrezea is too small a community to have her own militia and the Indefatigable will be close by and will provide better support in any case.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, Sector Gamma Mk II eh? Ah well, I don't mind havin' another go at it . . . I was looking forward to Sector Delta though . . .

My answers will be posted shortly.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

akb, we never did a Sector Gamma... the last one was about the Driians, that finished last March, remember?

I'm still in the process of learning Flash animation, but I'll provide a little preview of the "playing field" for this round. (I hope Mark doesn't mind that I smoothed out the borders a little bit -- I think it makes the image look a little better.)

http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/command419/sector_gamma.gif

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Don't mind at all. Your LCARS image has the added benefit of overlaying an 10x10 square grid on the map, which has facilitated stuff before back in Sector Beta. Say Dan, could you make a simplified version of your map in black & white, which we can use instead? Some of the participants liked making maps of their starship deployments, and it'd look way better on something more Trekkish-like. Also, your DS12 pic doesn't seem to work.

Y'know, Sector Gamma was originally supposed to be the last one in the series, but I got inspired today by a program on the History channel for some truer space exploration stuff.. Looks like there may be a Sector Delta in the works. [Smile]

Mark

[ October 06, 2002, 16:09: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I don't have time to make a real black-and-white map at the moment (I've got college work to do! [Wink] ), but I did cut out the LCARS border so it's just the map grid. Will that suffice?

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/sector_gamma_simple.gif

Oh, and the DS12 image should be working now... I typed up the link this morning with the intention of uploading files to my website right away, but didn't get around to it.

Deep Space 12

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Actually, I was thinking of a more traditional cylinder, just scaled down accordingly. However, upon reflection a Bernal sphere may be a more appropriate design for DS12. Meh, use your own discretion.

Mark

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well . . . I've got all the pictures and files on my HDD . . . maybe it was started and never finished due to real-life stuff, very confusing - Hell! I don't care - my answers will be up in the next few days.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I posted the Gamma picture on Flare back in Feb-March, before the stoopid thesis got in the way. That must be where the confusion is coming from.

Q2 is scheduled for this weekend, and it's alreaday half done. Not gonna let myself get behind if I can help it. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering about this exception for Timo bit. Is it something to do with him playing from a Pre-TNG period or something? If so, would it be possible to play Sector Delta from the TOS Movie-era? A scenario dealing with Cardassians really isn't appropriate fro a TOS Movie-era setting, after all. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.