Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » You're the Admiral! Sector Gamma (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: You're the Admiral! Sector Gamma
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Timo's exception is because he's taking a just-past Cardassian Wars look at things. As for the TOS movie era thing, it's an intriguing possibility, but probably for a seperate series after Sector Delta. I've got some uniquely TNG-era stuff in the works for that.

Would people like to do a different-era kind of "You're the Admiral!" scenario? Admittedly, that era is not my forte, mostly due to the lack of canon material - we may have to use some fandom/online stuff to fill in the gaps. Still, to play around in a time where an Excelsior-class starship would be the baddest kid on the block... I like. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A different era would be interesting... but I don't think it would have much long-term appeal because there's not as much canon variety in starships -- or for that matter, the facts about interstellar relations are a lot spotter.

Although I do admit that I would like to try one of these scenarios using Masao's ships from the Starfleet Museum. The only problem with that is that starship speeds would be a LOT lower -- making the whole thing a bit more challenging. The same would probably still apply to the TMP era.

At any rate, that's for later. It occurred to me that while I made up that snazzy map, I didn't fill it up with my own icons!

First is my current starship deployment plan: Tactical Update 1.0

Next is my anticipated deployment when the rest of the task force arrives: Tactical Update 1.1

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of using a lot of fandom material for a TMP era scenario. You know, using Ascension dreadnoughts or Adamant dreadnought/frigates for commandships, Dupliex border patrollers, Phantom intelligence ships, Schmidt tugs, Belknap workhorses....*drool* [Big Grin] [Cool]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, me, I hate the vast majority of the fandom TMP-era kitbashes. I think they have a complete lack of imagination and variety, and are often impractical when you consider internal equipment.

But to each his own, right? [Smile]

Actually, I *did* try a slightly different era. I joined the Sector Beta game first, and used all modern (post-TNG) ships -- Sovereign, Akira, Defiant, etc. When I went back to do Sector Alpha, I deliberately chose TNG-era designs -- Excelsior, Cheyenne, New Orleans, Galaxy and Nebula (which got eliminated in Mark's budget cuts [Razz] ). And here in Sector Gamma, I decided to include some of the unfamiliar designs -- ASDB ships that haven't been really established in the show. It makes things interesting.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assume that this is the summary of the briefing you as a Rear Admiral have received at your previous posting.

Uhh... This is going to be darn difficult to chrono-shift. I could pretend this takes place during or just after the original Cardassian aggressions, but then I wouldn't have the Maquis. It would be more trouble than worth, really. So my trusty Clemenceau will hit a time warp instead. "I missed WHAT?"

Good for me that Starfleet is short of ships and commanders. And good for me that Sector Gamma bears more of a resemblance to the situation half a century ago than the rest of the galaxy does. My head is still spinning way too fast.

-The only regular starship assigned to the sector is the USS Rigorous, NCC-2732, an old Constellation-class ship. The Rigorous has a long history in the sector, being the first Federation starship to explore it five decades ago, and has been permanently stationed in the sector for most of the last two. Her captain and crew have worked together for a very long time, and are almost all experts in the sector. During the Dominion War, a task force was assigned here with the Rigorous and her crew as the flagship, and won several engagements. Bolian Captain Nall has commanded the ship since her first arrival in the sector, and she is a Federation legend to the locals.

Dalan "Napster" Nall is a Starfleet legend now? I remember her snoring straight through "Starfleet Legends 201" and "Psych B: Keeping Delusions of Grandeur at Bay". She always struck me as a slacker who wouldn't ever make it past Captain. Am I happy to be proven right? At least I'm not the only one whose career has been in a limbo for fifty years...

A legend?

Sheesh.

I remember the launch of the Rigorous. No, I don't, really. It just feels as if I should. Does a time warp always feel this depressing?

QUESTION ONE (Four Parts)

A) Evaluate the sector, and determine what Starfleet�s priorities should be. Note that unlike previous sectors, you�re coming into an area where Starfleet has had a small but significant presence for some time. Now that the Federation has a member world in the sector, how should Starfleet�s priorities change? Summarize your thoughts, note any gaps in the information that you were provided, and where you should focus your intelligence-gathering efforts.

Now this is something I'm familiar with.

A member world brings along a set of obligations. Credible defense, free commerce and adminstrative-legislative representation in the Council all require one thing - safe and secure space lanes to the rest of the UFP. Providing a planetary defense, a safe zone around the J worlds, and a law enforcement and SAR patrol will be my priority, even if much of this will be done using local equipment and manpower.

It seems Starfleet has tasked me with three other missions: guarding the border; keeping the Zechs/Lucrezia thing from blowing up on our faces; and safeguarding the anthropological survey of G'Sall. This will be my descending order of priority for the missions, too.

My intelligence is lacking on this whole Maquis thing, so I'll have to get an ear or two on Z/L. A Starfleet liaison office needs to be established on Zechs ASAP. And I feel Dalan has a rapport with the locals already. She always was the friend-making type. If not a friend-keeping one. Sigh.

I'll also have to scout out the nebulae, to establish what I can and, more importantly, what I cannot see in there. And I will contact Bifour soon enough.

Now, the border will have to remain more or less open - I don't have the ships for repelling an invasion, and it seems there isn't a proper sensor net in place. If it comes to violence, I'll fall back on defending the J worlds. That's what we were taught in the Academy, back when we had good honest men like Jameison and Dougherty and the whachamacallem young hotshots Kennelly and.. Leyton? Yeah.

B) Starfleet will allow either a DS9-style upgrade to the DS12 station, making it into a full starbase within a year�s time; or to begin construction on a larger starbase of Starfleet design, which will take at least three years to build using a combination of components shipped in or built on-site. Given that this will be your headquarters for the foreseeable future, what would be the best option?

I expect the waste recyclers will be cross-connected with the ventilation systems soon enough, as has happened on the previous assignments as well. So I'll choose the rapid DS12 upgrade. My operations will be centered around Jovalis anyway, and my meager fleet won't require a major base for support. Unlike at Sector Alpha, I'm not serving as a sector shepherd and border guard generally - I have a very specific duty to Jovalis, and a detached base of ops won't help me any with that duty.

C) Starfleet sees this as a relatively stable sector, and while they want an expanded presence in the area they will not commit many ships to the sector.

1) Recommend a fleet of no more than SIX starships to be assigned to the sector.

My, my. Starfleet is feeling generous nowadays. I first looked into the roster trying to find familiar names. It was just too damn depressing - the one hit I had with Captain Benteen turned out to be his grand-niece. So I went for the technical specs. The ASDB has been busy indeed...

Here's what I tentatively bookmarked from the roster. I expect to receive ships of these classes and capabilities even if I'm denied these exact specimen. These are mostly older vessels, after all. I'm a sentimental old fool. But not a senile one - I'll ditch the Clemenceau as soon as I can get an Akira to replace the old scold.

Requested ships:

USS Shaaja, Akira class heavy cruiser
USS Canaris, Challenger class reconaissance cruiser
USS Naiad, Springfield class frigate
USS Sushima, Springfield class frigate
USS Icy Falls, Springfield class frigate
USS Venice, Nova class surveyor

I hope I can get the Shaaja sooner than the rest of the fleet, since the Clemenceau isn't really up to specs any more. The Canaris will become my primary reconaissance asset. She's less of a combatant, lacking proper torpedo launchers. One of the Springfields (probably the Icy Falls) will be equipped with a ventral long-range sensor pod. And the Venice is ideal for my survey needs, as she is economical to operate, can make planetfall, carries an aquashuttle instead of the usual waverider, and features a holographic blind. I just love the gadgets these people have come up with!

2) Until your fleet arrives, the only ships that will be assigned to the sector are the USS Rigorous and the ship you arrived in from Sector Beta (if you didn�t participate in that scenario, you�re arriving on a generic Excelsior-class starship). At your discretion, the ship you arrived on can be incorporated into your fleet. Where will you deploy your two ships until then? What will the deployment of your fleet be when they get here?

Initially, the Clemenceau will stand guard at Jovalis, ready for the usual errands. I'll trust Captain Fargo to handle that end of the affairs for the first few weeks - during which I'll take the Rigorous to one last grand tour of the neighborhood. Dalan can take me to places and teach the ropes. She always loved to lecture... Ever try to shut up a Bolian?

I'm more than a bit nervous about meeting her. I know Bolians age well. It's just that I'm not sure I can act mature enough.

Sigh. When the fleet arrives, the Canaris will do a run along the border, visit the two border worlds and chart the nebulae, giving baselines for calibrating the podded sensors of the Icy Falls. The frigates will assume a rotation for center-field patrols, giving rapid reaction times to any contingency. The Clemenceau / the Shaaja will remain at Jovalis, and the Venice will be deployed to support the anthro mission at S'Gall.

D) The USS Rigorous will not be a part of your fleet, as she is scheduled to be decommissioned after a long and eventful life; Captain Nall herself is retiring from the Fleet. However, her command crew need not be sent away as well. The Rigorous� command crew is a good team.

I intend to keep as many of these people as I can. However, many of them are trained on operating a vessel that no longer will exist. Their expertise might best be channeled if I place them on temporary hold at DS12.

Commander Michael Boston: Transferred to CO of the Canaris. Promotion pending.

Lt. Laura Kardon: Transferred to the Canaris, but initially as a relief TO. If she's cross-trained in Security, I expect to make her the CSecO mainly in planetary forays at first, until a Challenger-trained department head can break her in on the fancy twin phasers of the ship.

Lt. Commander Shezef: Transferred to the CSciO of the Canaris. Naturally. (Uhh... Does he know something about slingshot maneuvers, by any chance?)

Commander Taris Tani: Transferred initially to DS12, probably to CMO position unless she opts for a planetary role.

Lt. Commander Bayl: Transferred to the Colony Upgrade Project for the time being.

Lt. (j.g.) Walter Shumar: Transferred to CFC of the Canaris. If he can't fly the odd-nacelled monstrosity, nobody can. And I've requested a fast modern scoutcraft to be carried aboard the ship, just in case.

Commander Stalek: Retained as DS12 commander. I intend to largely separate the base commander and planetary liaison roles, now that the base will be geared to serve the fleet. Perhaps I could sweet-talk Dalan to handling the "being liked" part of the latter job?

The Rigorous is to be decommissioned, but a group of Jovalisi citizens wishes to keep her around as a museum ship for their nation. Another group from Lucrezea also wants her, but as the flagship for a new militia they are creating. Recommend to Starfleet what they should do with the requests, and if any conditions should be specified to either party.

I support the Jovalisi bid, although I suggest a complete deactivation and immobilization of the vessel. Like I said, I'm a sentimental old fool. After consulting my local experts, I decide on the level of vagueness in my promises to provide a ship to the Lucrezeans at the earliest convenience. I also offer a standard package of Starfleet training for the militia, concentrating more on the ethics of warfare than on actual bloodletting techniques. You know the drill. And the Lucrezeans could get modern C3I gear and sensors, for possible future cooperation. I'll make a similar offer to the Zechs side.

Timo Saloniemi

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Would people like to do a different-era kind of "You're the Admiral!" scenario?

Funnily enough, I've got some notes floating around for a TOS (c.2265) scenario. "You're the Commodore!". I'd be happy to run it in a gap between your scenarios. I have a long list of fandom, fasa, lug and sfb ships that could be used, and of course the opponents would be the Klingons, which should make things fun...

So some day. Maybe.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I'd like a "You're the Commodore!" scenario... the only problem would be that since participants are going to have to rely much more on non-canon starships, they'd have to take care to use "reasonable" class specifications (ie: not uber-ships). It'd be helpful to post links to references for those ship stats, as well.

Me, I'd be using lots of designs from the Starfleet Museum in one of those situations... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your definition of an uber ship, hmm Dan?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Hey hey! Look! It's me, the threadkiller! [Frown]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we ARE essentially just waiting for the last answer or two...

As for a "You're the Commodore" scenario, I'm all for it. I'd be grateful if we could wait until the current one is over though... And if anything, it'll be an incentive to keep up with my updates. [Smile]

[edit]But while we're waiting...

-
Mark

[ October 10, 2002, 23:04: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Okay, so who ARE we waiting for here? I want to give everyone a fair chance before proceeding onwards.

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

AFIK, the only one we're waiting for is akb.

Expect a LCARS-ized (and possibly animated!) version of that map in a little while...

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

"I havn't quite figgerd that pawt out yet..."

Of well, no animation. But it's still decent looking...

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/sector_gamma_jovalis.gif

(Mark, if you object, I'll change DS12 to something OTHER than Babylon 5... [Wink] )

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Yeah, I kinda want it to be something else. Maintaining the trekkish (or at least non-B5-ish)atmosphere of it all. [Razz] Not that it don't look great, of course!

Mark

[ October 11, 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, OK! My answer is here – sorry for the delay, I got bogged down with L-O-A-D-S of work from uni [Frown]

A
(In no particular order).
 Maintain the existing peace.
 Keep an eye on the Cardassians – after the recent war, they will no doubt be interested in expanding their sphere of power.
 Check out the purple nebula ASAP.
 Perform long-range scans on pink nebula – Cardassians might be hiding ships there.
 G’Sall is a pre-warp and un-contacted civilisation – they need to be protected and kept out of sector events.
 Zechs and Lucrezia – keep an eye on their residents and be ready to send a diplomatic team(s) in to deal with any misgivings.
 Diplomatic efforts to persuade Joval to follow Jovalis’ example.
 Bifour IV: Cardassians can’t be trusted. Take nothing they say for granted and watch them constantly. Maybe deploy some sensor drones along the boarder to keep and eye on them and extend sensor range. They have a small taskforce that can cause damage if applied within the sector – find out whether they are building more.
 Encourage industrial and economical growth of Jovalis
 Assist in the development of Jovalis’ defences
 The colony on Lucrezea is in an ideal position to become a staging area/launch site for any future operations in the area near Bifour IV. With this in mind it should be a priority to increase Starfleet's diplomatic presence on the colony. However, this said, the colony is not a full Federation member so this increase should be done gradually and not appear pushy.
 Zechs appears to be “occupied”. This might mean that the population is unhappy with the Cardassians ruling them. Perhaps a covert intelligence-gathering mission will uncover the true state of the population’s feelings.
 Other intelligence goals should be to determine a) whether Bifour IV has any weapons of mass destruction of any sort, b) monitoring their fleet movements, c) as with Zechs, investigate the contentment level of the population.
 Deal with any unsavoury groups – pirates, smugglers, anti-Cardassian groups (who might put their foot in it and start trouble).

B
Either option is doable – time is obviously a major factor here. The DS9-style upgrade sounds good, should things go pear-shaped in the sector in the near future. It could also be a good diplomatic move to make the new members feel that we appreciate their previous efforts and want to make use of their station (just think of all those squadrons of Starfury’s!). I’d also go for this option as Starfleet is low on resources and I’d rather have something now rather than too late.

C
USS Courageous, NCC-62579 – my command ship, an Excelsior-II (Refit such as the Lokota)
Firstly I’d go to Jovalis and Joval to say “hello” and to show the flag. I’d also spend some time talking with Captain Nall before her departure and her crew to gain any insider knowledge and tips. I’d then take the Courageous to the boarder taking a detour past the Purple Nebula (PN) and then past Zechs and finally Lucrezea before turning around for another pass. While in range, I’d do passive scans of Bifour IV and take a peek at what the Cardi’s are up to.

Addition ships (after Question 2)
USS Jupiter, Akira-class, NCC-71267
USS Rabin, Akira-class, NCC-63293
USS Bristol, Nebula-class, NCC-68207
USS Sutherland, Nebula-class, NCC-72015
USS Bellerephon, Intrepid-class, NCC-74762 – science ship that is fast and easily able to fend off aggressors until help arrives use to keep an eye on Cardassians.

The Rigorous will remain in the area around Jovalis & Joval – they obviously have friends there and may very well wish to sat “goodbye” before the ship is decommissioned.

D1
I’d keep them all if they wish to stay in the sector.
Commander Michael Boston (Human, 12 Years of Service) – Excellent Service Record. Experienced Diplomat.
I’d have this officer become the new CO of DS12, as his diplomatic experience will be invaluable. I might have him promoted to captain to give him a little more “umph”. His command experience will make him a good commander for fleet operations as well as the additional planetary liaison duties that I’m gonna dump on him.

Tactical: Lt. Laura Kardon (Human, 6 Years of Service) – Good Service Record. A native of Zechs but suffers from little combat experience.
I’d ask the lieutenant about Zech and the current mood of the population (assuming her knowledge is current). This will give me a better picture of the situation there. I’d probably assign her to my command ship for now as I’ll be going past her homeworld and she may be useful (I’ll also provide her with an opportunity to go home and stay if she wishes). I’d consider the lieutenant for assignment to DS12 or one of the additional ships where her expertise could be put to good use.

Science: Lt. Commander Shezef (Andorian Male, 15 Years of Service) – Excellent Service Record. Expert on the Pink & Purple Nebulae.
I’d ask him about the nebulas and whether there is anything we can do to make them “safer”. By safer I mean, more able to defend against possible forces hiding in them or using them to our advantage. I’ll probably assign him to the Intrepid-class vessel once it arrives or DS12 with the possibility of using runabouts for science surveys.

Medical: Commander Taris Tani (Bajoran Female, 20 Years of Service) – Fair Service Record. Married to a Jovalisi diplomat on DS12.
I’ll keep this officer and assign her to DS12 as CMO of the station’s medical facilities and to keep her husband and the Jovalisi sweet. Her knowledge of the area and the native species will be of tremendous benefit.

Engineering: Lt. Commander Bayl (Betazoid Male, 8 Years of Service) – Good Service Record.
I’ll keep this officer and assign him to DS12 to assist with the upgrade and also to assist with any future repair efforts to starships.

Helm: Lt. (j.g.) Walter Shumar (Human, 40 years of Service) – Excellent Service Record. A legendary pilot, who has convinced all but one of his commanding officers never to promote him.
Oh I definitely have to keep him as his skills may very well be in high demand later on. I’d push for a promotion to a full lieutenant and have him assigned to one of the additional ships.

DS12’s CO is Commander Stalek (Vulcan, 20 Years of Service) – Good service record. Known to the Jovalisi, though not terribly popular.
Well this officer has experience of the sector so I’d be reluctant to opt for an out-of-sector transfer. I’d probably have the commander help Commander Michael Boston in his integration as DS12’s new CO. Once Boston is in place and the additional ships have arrived, I’d promote Stalek to captain and give him one of the ships, possibly one of the Nebula’s or the Intrepid.

D2
I’d go with the donation to the museum in the interests of friendship. The ship has done so much for the sector that it’d be a shame for some young militia group to lose it in some stupid raid. However, like MinutiaeMan, I will put in a recommendation to Starfleet Command that they provide Lucrezea with another decommissioned starship should one become available – a Miranda or similar such starship should suffice. I’d also go along similar lines to Timo – providing the militia group (and Zechs) with training and basic equipment. This might, however, become a problem as it might be considered interference in local politics.

How's that?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps