Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Auto-tech! ["Dead Stop" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Auto-tech! ["Dead Stop" Spoilers]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the topic of stellar cartography and the location of the Romulan minefield -- isn't it possible that the Romulans are a bit more widespread in the pre-Neutral Zone era? That would actually make sense if the Federation were trying to put a damper on Romulan expansion.

You guys forgot to mention the fancy doodad chip that could translate neural impulses into binary code! The Borg, anyone? [Frown]

The biggest problem I had is the fact that this repair station is almost certainly within the future Federation's sphere of influence. Meaning that if they managed to get a good look at the thing, they could probably put Utopia Planitia out of business! The fact that the station starts to repair itself at the end just compounds the problem rather than solve it -- if it was left as a pile of rubble, I could understand the Federation not getting the technology...

Still, I did appreciate most of the Treknological details.

I'm going to use the opposite argument of the warp scale formula -- what if the "130 LY" comment was an error (or a figure that wasn't recalculated)? We know that the NX-01 is around 90 to 100 LY from Earth at this point according to "Two Days and Two Nights" -- assuming the TOS warp scale, it would take 10 years to travel 92.61 LY at Warp 2.1.

Alternatively, to go the additional 40 LY to reach the 130 LY mark would take 160 days at the established speed of Warp 4.5.

I think that that the writers are still using the TOS scale with only a few errors interspersed in the dialogue. But then, I'm an optimist. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping that repair station was destroyed by the time of the Romulan War or at least during it. I don't think it would be good if it fell into enemy hands or anyone else's hands.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding ENT's warp scale... In one episode last year, they gave some pretty exact times of how long it would take a Vulcan ship to reach them at warp 5 and at warp 7. The times were expressed in minutes, IIRC, so there's still a margin of error. However, in the end, I figured out that warp 7 is between 3.65 and 3.2 times as fast as warp 5. That's a little bit higher than what the figure would be on the TNG warp scale, but not a lot.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TOS warp scale (and really, the exact details of the TNG scale) isn't canon. It is entirely possible that TOS always used the TNG scale, minus the Warp 10 asymptote. The fact that speeds are chosen out of dramatic neccessity makes it pretty moot, anyway.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The biggest problem I had is the fact that this repair station is almost certainly within the future Federation's sphere of influence
Well, TOS (and perhaps TNG) had some pretty funky stuff too inside the Federation sphere of influense.. The Guardian of Forever, countless highly advanced androids, the Amusement Park Planet. And we saw very little evidence of these technologies in use by the Federation afterwards.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The look on T'Pol's face when Malcom and Tripp materalize on the bridge was just priceless.
Anyone have a screen capture of that?

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://the.tom.8m.com/cosmic_ratatouille/ent_031_dead_stop/tpol.jpg

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also, Jupiter Station existed back in the 22nd century.
As established way back in "Silent Enemy."
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And is more like a repair/construction facility than the much later saucer-stacked research facility.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ba-bump*

Bringing ths to the top for this week's rerun. Anyone have any further thoughts about this nutty set of hair curlers gone mad?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have one thought...

Is Stephen King writing for Trek now???

*cough*Christine*cough*

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Stephen King's been writing for Trek ever since "Alice"... [Roll Eyes]

Wasn't that episode also based on "Christine," too?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I suppose so....though I cant say I have seen "Alice" in its entirity. I suppose Toms "obsession" with 'Alice' is the same as the dude who obsessed over "Christine"

...but the whole ending with the station rebuilding itself after being pretty much obliterated was just like the end of Christine with the (i forget) headlight flicker or metal retaking its shape or whatever after being compacted into a 19"-TV-sized-chunk of metal.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps