Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Enterprise-D
Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any screencaps to back this up, but I've noticed that the Enterprise-D looked distinctly different after a few seasons. There seem to be two versions of the ship. Are these models or CGIs? Or were there any CGIs of the Ent-D?

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proportions of the 6 foot and 4 foot models were ever-so-slightly different, so new VFX shots from season 3 three onwards might have contrasted somewhat with the stock footage in those episodes. Frankly, I have a hard time noticing it, although the increase in the depth and detailing of the panelling is pretty obvious.

The only CGI mesh of the Enterprise-D was the one ILM built for the warp jump in Generations. We then didn't see a CGI Galaxy until either Digital Muse or Foundation whipped one up for the Dominion War.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't have noticed it either, except I rigged up a tape to place them side-by-side. The later model seems to be smoother somehow, less "stark", if that's the right word.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well,the later 4 foot model had a lot more detail and was covered in raised panels, so i'm not sure if i would call the 4 foot one smoother, since it was much more heavily textures.
IP: Logged
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The four footer looked a bit like a bulldog, IMHO, while the original six footer was much sleeker and curvaceous. (One of the interesting things about the four footer is that the hatch for the motion control stand is quite visible on the stardrive's belly.)

I still curse the fact that ILM put all that work into refurbishing the model for Generations only for it to be used in less than ten minutes of footage.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bulldogs where you live must look rather unusual.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] Y'know how bulldogs are stockier? That's what I meant... guess I have to watch the figurative language around here...
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the four foot one the model that got damaged when some guy hung it in his kitchen?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard that story.

For what it's worth, the last time the 6 footer was used in the series was the episode before "The Enemy", although it was hauled out for the seperation sequence in BOBW part 2, and for Generations, by which point it was apparently fairly damamged.

The 4 footer was last used (I think) for the Venture in Way of the Warrior.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XAsXIXrecall,Xactually,XtheX10-footerXwasXtheXoneXthatXseparated.X

(((Edit: Okay, I swear I've seen a reference to a ten-foot E-D model that was built by ILM and used for separations. Really, I swear. But I can't find it. Grr.)))

Then there was the pretty six-footer that ILM made, with its graceful, slender lines.

Then there was the 4-footer, which was actually known as "the bulldog" because it was beefier-looking. (Also note that another reason you'll notice differences is that there was a newer, easier, cheaper ultraviolet matting technique used in later TNG, which in my opinion looked funny.)

Last but not least, there was the two-foot low-detail model used for the slit-scan "leaping to warp" effect. This was also seen in one of the early Starlog ST:TNG magazines.

[ November 14, 2002, 02:04: Message edited by: Guardian 2000 ]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was never a 10 foot model of the E-D. There was however a 12 foot model of the saucer used in the crash landing scene in "Generations"

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of which, has anybody been able to upload the Making-of of Generations somewhere?

I asked about that way back, and some were willing to do it, but somehow it got forgotten along the way.

I have already searched Morpheus, Kazaa, etc. for an avi or mpg, but could not find it anywhere.

Anyone else have it or have any idea how to get it?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The darker lighting later on combined with the more "bumpiness" of the panels [especialy the ones near the forward rim of the saucer] makes the ship look more like a warship with armor better than the Sovi or Defiant and especially over the damm Prometheus. [Razz]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I for one have always preferred the later-seasons E-D model than the Earlier one... which is oft used for that promotional picture infront of the beige planet (look at the back of your Star Trek Compendium books.)

I love the texture and following the shadows and moreover the REALISM that the E-D(model II) has. The Re-work of the Model I in Generations, though WAS brilliant.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that the 4 foot model had the best proportions. hey, haven't we had this thread before?
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps