Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach's Constellation-class article from latest Mag (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Sternbach's Constellation-class article from latest Mag
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do not mess with senior Flarites, as they are grumpy and quick to anger. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went through my ship list, to see what I had written there about the Stargazer, and apparently I disagree less than I thought I did, re: the possibility of her return.
quote:
USS Stargazer, NCC-2893 - former command of Captain Picard, abandoned and believed lost. Later recovered. What happens to the Stargazer after Starfleet gets her back is anyone's guess. All indications suggest the ship is old. Very old, considering her TOS movie era graphics, general design, and registry number. On the other hand, she was on active exploratory duty just nine years earlier, and she seemed to have no major damage. (One wonders why Picard thought it necessary to abandon ship in the first place, though it is certainly possible that the Ferengi repaired certain systems, perhaps even in the context of reverse engineering them. We have no idea how long they had posession of the ship.) It is certainly possible that the Stargazer was repaired, refit, and ultimately put back into service, though it seems like something Picard would have mentioned at some point. [The Battle]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Picard was going to mention it anywhere then it would have been on the Holodeck with Scotty when the toasted to "Old girlfriends that we'll never see again".
You could infer that since Picard didn't correct or contradict him that the Stargazer was indeed junked, since if it was put back on duty or shoved into the Copernicus's Museum there would be a good chance of him seeing her again.
On the other hand he could have just been polite and let Scotty have his moment...or he could have told him down the corridor when we weren't looking...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^Or it could be that Picard knew darn good and well that he'd never command the Stargazer again, whether she was in service or not. He was Captain of the fleet flagship, and I doubt Starfleet would reassign him just because he was homesick.

Earlier someone mentioned the automation of 1701 in ST III. I'd just like to point out that when they went into combat that the system quickly became overloaded, and unable to keep up with the demands placed on it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If we're talking about ST III, then remember that it took one photon torpedo to knock the ship out (now, I know that realistically a single photon torpedo should probably be able to destroy the ship if the shields aren't up, but this is the hero ship, and therefore almost indestructible). In battle situations, it's reasonable to assume that the computer might not be able to repair damaged systems if it is itself damaged. So you'd need crew for that. In war time, you'd have a LOT of crew for that."

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by darkwing_duck1:
Earlier someone mentioned the automation of 1701 in ST III. I'd just like to point out that when they went into combat that the system quickly became overloaded, and unable to keep up with the demands placed on it.

And I'd like to point out that Scotty probably hacked that automation system together in a hurry on a ship that had holes blown in it. Hardly representative of the survivability of a typical automation system on a starship.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what we do know is that the automation was a poor substitute for having an actual crew on the ship.. think about how many guys they needed to open up the torp bays (TWOK), and damage control teams,and phaser crews (BoT).. 23rd century era ships needed a lot of people doing backwork below decks to make things happen.. im sure that a lot of that was possibly automated, but that seems chancy considering how long it would take a small crew to approach a problem area should a problem arise..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of lacking automation for torpedo tubes... was there supposed to be a crew in the rollbar module on the Reliant?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the full crew was only needed to prep the launcher. Once the covers are off, and the doors greased, and the torpedos waxed, most of those people can probably take off for drinks, leaving just a couple people to supervise the machinery.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there were then I'd like to know how they got up there. Mind you, the same would apply to people in the Oberth's secondary hull.
Perhaps they use hardwired transporters and pipe their molecules from one pad to another?

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still hold that the manual loading/firing of photorps on the Enterprise was part of its retrofit to training vessel status. The Enterprise-A seemed to have a totally automated system, with only one monitoring station.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
If there were then I'd like to know how they got up there. Mind you, the same would apply to people in the Oberth's secondary hull.
Perhaps they use hardwired transporters and pipe their molecules from one pad to another?

Hardwired transport pads...? Makes all the sense in the world.

Later!
Art

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be very surprised if there were a man-sized crawlway up the rollbar supports -- because those large phaser cannons kind of block the passage.

I suppose it COULD make sense to have some de-automated torpedo launchers on the training ship Enterprise... Didn't they make a big deal of direct control of weaponry from the Bridge in TMP, rather than the decentralized control rooms we saw in TOS?

Here's a weird idea... if the automated launchers were a new idea, perhaps they were deliberately placed outboard in case of malfunction. And then later designs just kept that configuration because it saved some internal space.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Hardwired transport pads...? Makes all the sense in the world.
Basically two transporters with their pattern buffers directly connected via some kind of conduit. Call it an internal transporter, on that side steps the risk of transporting through subspace.

quote:
I'd be very surprised if there were a man-sized crawlway up the rollbar supports -- because those large phaser cannons kind of block the passage.
It would be muck easier to acess the torpedo pod via EVA suits or worker bees.
There would have to be some kind of maintaince access if only for loading the torpedo magazines.

quote:
Here's a weird idea... if the automated launchers were a new idea, perhaps they were deliberately placed outboard in case of malfunction. And then later designs just kept that configuration because it saved some internal space.
It's certainly possible and consistant with Sternbach's notion of the Mirandas being a reletively new design, compared to the Conni.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Miranda has to have a transporter up there in the Torp pod. There is no airlock or storage place for a couple of workbees....besides, in an evacuation situation, those guys would be screwed in slow little workbees....
Mabye during evac the guys manning the torpedo launcher just do the "kaylar coffin ride" inside an ampty torp casing! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps