Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Concept Art (minor spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Nemesis Concept Art (minor spoilers)
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taldren has released a Nemesis pack for Starfleet Command 3, containing - besides a new mission where you fly the Scimitar - 10 pieces of concept art. Each comes in three different sizes (800x600, 1024x786 and 1600x1200, IIRC). The concept sketches include the positioning of the additional torpedo bays and design studies of the Scimitar, Valdore and Scorpion fighter. I'd upload them, but I have no idea if flare upload supports such an amount of files. If anyone can host them, let me know (or download the pack, but be warned: you can only access them by installling the pack if you have a SFC3-copy and the Activision-server is dead-slow).

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merry christmas...

(each one the smallest, 800x600 version; should be between 100kb and 300kb)
Shuttle bay detail
More shuttle bay stuff
Rear torpedo launchers (main and secondary shuttle bay)
The famous ship comparison chart
The Valdore
Scimitar (looks cool)
Scimitar front detail (looks even kewler...) 8-)
Scary view of Scimitar "activated"
Scorpion concept
Scorpion final

Enjoy! [Big Grin]

(Besides, if you want to download the whole pack check www.st-sfc3.com for the official release or this one: http://www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/sfc1/mission_official.shtml#sfc3nemesis for some mirrors. Sadly, I didn't find that link until after I had nearly completed the whole download. Took me nearly an hour with 3.0kb/s. [Embarrassed] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. Now I have to go back & work all that shit into my models of Enterprise & Shenzhou.

Those upper torp tubes are stupid, as is the spinal one. They're too damn small & in such the wrong places.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the shuttlebay wasn't supposed to be resized to the size of the door, eh?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And those aren't very convincing torpedo launchers. I mean, there's no room for any launching apperatus, it seems.

At the same time, that problem exists for the launcher just above the captain's yacht as well, so it isn't really a new problem.

Were these extra launchers actually added to the model? I did not notice them.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, someone wasn't thinking when they patched in those new torpedo launchers. It does make sense to have a couple more launchers there -- it was even indirectly shown in "Insurrection" -- but the way they draw them there seems really haphazard and ill-conceived.

For one thing, that dual launcher at the top is sitting right on top of an airlock! "Mind the antimatter warheads as you pull on your boots, Captain!"

I've got my good old AMT 1/1400 model handy, and I think that the rear saucer launcher might have actually made sense -- if they replaced the aft-facing airlock with the launcher itself! By comparison, the two main dual-launchers mounted at the bottom of the secondary hull on the model are about the same size, so I guess they could fit in.

The second launcher back by the aft shuttlebay makes a little bit of sense, in that the launcher itself could fit in the gap... probably. But where the heck would they store the torpedoes themselves?

I suppose it's a reasonably good thing that they add a bit more weaponry to cover the often-neglected rear firing arc; even in "Insurrection" this problem caused some trouble. But I wish that if they were going to do modifications like this, to at least do them properly!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, *I* like 'em. Eaves may be out to lunch with launching mechanisms compared to Sternbach - there is obviously no place for reactant injectors and magnetic hoohahs. I'm guessing he means to treat the torpedo launchers as independent weapons that need little more than an airlock to launch. I suppose it's entirely possible that the mechanism is just really small and efficient these days, if the microtorp launchers on DS9 are to be believed. As for the aft saucer launchers, there should be JUST enough room left in the deck below for a corridor, which is really all that places like the DS9 ring and TNG neck docking ports had. Assuming that torpedo launchers require minimal space for additional launch mechanisms for the TUBES THEMSELVES, I think it works. And why wouldn't it?

So... Sovereigns have five aft launchers, two forward, plus the BFL under the saucer. Akira-happy, indeed. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, note that the warp nacelle pylons now sport phaser strips. Since these are mirrored on the ventral side a la E-D, they've accounted for another close-range blind spot.

Next time I see the film, I certainly will be on the lookout for the launchers & strips. I'd assume they were on the new model, as it was rebuilt from the ground up and adding different features like those odd arches flanking the shuttlebay.

Mark

--------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So these are microtorpedo lauchers?
And that barrage [microtrops?],from the 5 min trailer, shot from the location above shuttlebay?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I think its funny that Eaves actually wrote "Oh Baby, Look At All That Firepower!" on the third drawing. I think the most ideal location for rear firing torpedo launchers would be in the pseudo-"neck" immediatly behind the shuttlebay, since its raised a bit and could easily have a notch or two cut into it.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

He put lotsa stars and stuff around that text... Reminds me of girls' diaries. [Razz]

Interestingly enough, all this close-range-blind-spot-coverage he's been adding has CREATED a blind spot - the forward dorsal of the saucer. One wonders if there's some unseen popup launcer somewhere at the front of deck 2...

Mark

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think i'm going to vomit. the worst part is is that the ship almost made sense at first, and now hes screwing it up.

i suppose the sensible explanation is that those torpedo launchers are set for a much lower payload/launch recharge time than the primary 'good' launchers. (this is my explanation for the Akira too)

*dies*

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any concept art of the shuttle Argo? It would be cool to see that. Thank you for the concept art on the rest of the vessels. John Eaves does a good job. [Big Grin]
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
He put lotsa stars and stuff around that text... Reminds me of girls' diaries. [Razz]

Interestingly enough, all this close-range-blind-spot-coverage he's been adding has CREATED a blind spot - the forward dorsal of the saucer. One wonders if there's some unseen popup launcer somewhere at the front of deck 2...

Mark

Yeah I know, and that's the reason why your not suppose to put torpedo launchers all over the ship in the trek universe like...like blasters or something.

Torpedoes are suppose to be used on targets that are at a nice safe distance away from the ship. Therefore making one or two launchers pointing forward and aft enough.

You don't really need a launcher above the shuttle bay on the saucer when you got one at the tail end already. Unless that launcher is suppose to fire straight up from the ship at targets far "above" the Ent-E.

[ December 17, 2002, 19:28: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps these are short range launchers that fire standard photons through a much shorter magnetic accelerator and is intended to engage multiple targets that are to close for the primary launchers, like Jem'hadar fighters for instance.

While not necessarily a good idea it is certainly plausible that the flagship was refitted with extra armaments during the Dominion war and perhaps said armaments are scheduled to be removed at the next major overhaul, which would be at the end of Nemesis.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.