Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Concept Art (minor spoilers) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Nemesis Concept Art (minor spoilers)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said about the Romulan article: Give me a day or two. [Razz]
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, we're back to the "ready-load" Defiant torpedo tube discussion Mark [Smile] Which makes sense to me. We could say that the torp tubes can fire either torp style, their magazines are just ready loaded with a particular type of torp.

Someone was asking about subs and multiple launchers...check out the first four Ohio-class subs which are being refurbished as conventional missile launching submarines. These subs will have multiple vertical launch tubes fitted out to fire tactical missiles...I'd classify that as a modern day example of a weapons system "bristling" with emplacements.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really cool Ohio-class refit details here. With these modifications, they can change a strategic-use sub into a hell of a fighter.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's the moolah! [Wink]

This is an annotated set of schematic views done by Eaves, showing all the changes he made to the Enterprise-E for the film:
  • The aforementioned addition of four (4) new torpedo launchers along the dorsal centerline of the ship. One near the front of the saucer, (no mention made of whether it's a single or double tube) one at the front of the bridge module ledge-thingee, (again, no mention of whether it's a single or double) one above the rear airlock, (which we know to be a double tube) and one above the aft shuttlebay. (Which we know to be a single tube.) So, that's actually five (5) new tubes, assuming that only the airlock launcher is double.
  • A sixth tube was placed at the ventral trailing tip of the secondary hull.
  • He also added new tapered extensions to the back of the saucer (on both sides of the saucer shuttlebay) that integrate the two parts of the hull a little more gracefully. You can see the smoothing effect that this generates in Amasov's scan.
  • The nacelles were moved forward by 3.5% and upward by 1.3%. (How much did he change the shape of the pylons to do this?)
  • A phaser strip was added to the trailing dorsal surface of each pylon as well.

It looks like he gave himself an "A+" for his work, probably with a little self-congradulatory pat on the back to go along with it. [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, people who don't hate themselves and everything they touch should be murdered in public places.

What's with the launchers on the saucer? I don't remember those being used.

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any scans of the Argo Shuttle from the magazine? It sure would be nice to see what else John Eaves did for the movie.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically...he built a brand-new ship. Idiots. You can't simply play with the structure ifd things like that.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
So basically...he built a brand-new ship. Idiots. You can't simply play with the structure ifd things like that.

Well, it's far less than the refitting of the E-nil in TMP. He didn't even replace the nacelles themselves, or any of the major hull components. All at worst he necessitated the replacement of the nacelle pylons, and even then it was probably only a partial rebuilding rather than a total one. The blending of the saucer and neck doesn't require a gargantuan amount of deconstruction/reconstruction, does it?

And the torp tubes don't change ANY of the actual structure of the hull, at least not externally. I can believe that they made space for them on the inside. (Except maybe that airlock one, but it's still possible...)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little changes are far worse than large-scale ones. You don't simply decide to move pylons forward & change the dihedral. It's like moving the citadel of an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer back 5 meters & increasing the slope of the outer casing walls by 2 degrees. It just isn't done, because it's stupid.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear, hear!

I think the problem is that the artists are approaching the ship design from an artist's perspective... they figure that tweaking a few details to get things "just right" is a good idea. From an engineer's standpoint for a warship, that's positively awful.

I guess it depends on whether you think we should sit back and accept this all because it's "just a movie" or come up with a damn good explanation for this major-minor refit. Or better yet, come up with some excuse for why it never happened in the first place. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not like they haven't done this sort of thing before. The 4' miniature of the Ent-D has a different shape and texture than the 6', and all the CG models of the Defiant are a poor match for the physical model.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Little changes are far worse than large-scale ones. You don't simply decide to move pylons forward & change the dihedral. It's like moving the citadel of an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer back 5 meters & increasing the slope of the outer casing walls by 2 degrees. It just isn't done, because it's stupid.

Hows about we blame it on SF tinkering with warp geometry to increase efficiency and call things even? [Razz]

After all, it has been four years since we last saw the ship. That's plenty of time for it to either have undergone a refitting or even to have had a nasty run-in with someone/thing and have her ass blown off. (Sacreligious, I know, but possible.)

Hadn't the Enterprise returned to Earth in 2376? ("Life Line" [VGR]) Sure, I know that if they'd just been thrashed, Deanna probably would have mentioned something about it to Reg, but perhaps it was just a planned refitting after all.

Someone throw me a frickin' bone here... [Cool]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go!

::drops a bone in front of MMoM::

Good Monkey!

Seriously, though, I'm sure it's possible for the E-E to have a refit. Here's a new question, though: with the "blending" of the saucer into the engineering hull (the tapering near the shuttlebay), can the ship still separate, at least in theory as so many fanboys say it can?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Good question.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I submit that aside from the new torpedo launchers and phasers, the ship never "really" changed. Eaves said that this is how it was meant to be from the beginning, as far as the saucer curve and nacelle orientation go, and I for one am willing to accept that retroactively. Same way I accept that Ten Forward was always on the Enterprise-D, even if the windows weren't there at first.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.