Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet vs. Real Navies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starfleet vs. Real Navies
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first NCO I can remember is the then-Mrs. Shatner as Chief DiFalco, Ilia's replacement in TMP.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:

An army fella once told me that there are two things in life an army boy could never understand:
Navy ranks and British money.

Was this person slightly retarted when it came to adding stuff up?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully it wasn't a reference to the current monetary system in Great Britain, considering that it's the same as in the US, except that the names are different (and the values, if you're converting). If it's a reference to the old system, I can understand. Yay, shillings.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
The first NCO I can remember is the then-Mrs. Shatner as Chief DiFalco, Ilia's replacement in TMP.

Uh...Rand? [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yeoman" is not a rank or grade, but rather a title like "transporter chief" or "assistant manager in charge of personnel."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeoman (YN)is a enlisted rate in the Navy. Like my rate is AME or Aviation Structural Mechanic Safety Equipment. Therefore she is enlisted in TOS.
Shik
Member # 343

When the triple fucking damn did that happen?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
If it's a reference to the old system, I can understand. Yay, shillings.

Good thing the US doesn't do anything like that. Yay, yards.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Member # 343

And yet it's still called the English standard.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it were called the American Standard, people would always be confusing a shitty measurement system with a shit disposal system.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Was this person slightly retarted when it came to adding stuff up?

Retarted? This implies the person was a tart previously, and is once again!

Retarded, on the other hand... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really want to get into how Starfleet is unlike the regular US Navy then take a look at Commander Riker's beard and Captain Sisko's goatee. That would never been allowed in the US Navy

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, all.

Re: Navy Ranks and British Money

I assume he could add stuff, but he was refering to the currency system of shillings, half-farthings, and two pences (the old system before the Euro) as a joke.

quote:
If you really want to get into how Starfleet is unlike the regular US Navy then take a look at Commander Riker's beard and Captain Sisko's goatee. That would never been allowed in the US Navy

That and Riker's refusal of a command I]three[/I] times would have killed his career. Even once would've killed his career. Also, no one in the military stays at a posting for over 15 years or in a position for over 15 years unless there's a problem. (Spolier removed after--my apologies for a greivous error.)

Middy Seafort

[ December 30, 2002, 16:14: Message edited by: Middy Seafort ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things: One, well-kept facial hair is permitted in most wet navies today, I think. And two, the aforementioned description of the British monetary system is so ignorant and out-to-lunch I shall shut up and leave either Lee or Liam to make a cutting remark.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
I assume he could add stuff, but he was refering to the currency system of shillings, half-farthings, and two pences (the old system before the Euro) as a joke.

I think you mean before decimalisation, which was in 1970/71, as we still haven't joined the Euro.

The old system was slightly confusing but boiled down to:
1 pound = 20 shillings = 240 pence (so 1 shilling = 12 pence)

When we moved to the decimal system the pound stayed the same, but we replaced shillings and old pence with new pence so that 1 pound = 100 pence. And that's the system we use today.

A farthing was a quarter of an old penny and was withdrawn from use in 1961. I don't think there was ever a half-farthing.

Any other funny terms (such as florin or crown) are just amounts of shillings or pence (2 shillings for the florin, 5 shillings for the crown) and aren't any different to those strange US terms dime and nickel. [Razz]

Oh and to get really confusing there was also a guinea which was one pound and one shilling. But since 1813 that's only been used as the amount or prize money in horse races.

And I typed all this for a system that died a few yars before I was born? I must be mad.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps