Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sternbach's Romulan Propulsion Article ($$Nemesis Spoilers in Article$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Sternbach's Romulan Propulsion Article ($$Nemesis Spoilers in Article$$)
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you happen to catch the newest ST: Magazine with Nemesis-themed articles, you'll find another Rick Sternbach technical article on Romulan Propulsion. I didn't actually grab the issue, just flipped through it at the book store, but:
  • He proposes that Romulan Warp Carriers were used to transport Birds-of-Prey during the early wars since resources for warp drive were limited.
  • He provides a detailed look at just exactly how the Romulan Warbird's quantum singularity drive works with nifty diagrams.
  • His CGI illustrator provides a very poor rendering of the TOS Bird-of-Prey compared to the one seen in ENT "Minefield."

Interesting stuff, check it out!

[ December 31, 2002, 20:16: Message edited by: Ace ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll see about picking one up and scanning the article for folks either today or tomorrow.
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ace,

Interesting. I saw that article while thumbing through the latest ish at Border's.

quote:
He proposes that Romulan Warp Carriers were used to transport Birds-of-Prey during the early wars since resources for warp drive were limited.
Actually, this was something that was also proposed by Diane Carey in her novel "Final Frontier," which depicts the exploits of Robert April and the Enterprise before her official commissioning.

In that book, if memory serves, the BoP is dropped off by a larger warp carrier and is also picked up by one in the early part of the book. Unfortunatly, I don't have my copy handy to double check.

Middy Seafort

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite correct. "Final Frontier" describes humungous ships capable of carrying a dozen "Balance of Terror" lookalike craft under her wings. The craft are all impulse-powered, but each of them has unique capabilities, apparently mainly because the Star Empire is cash-starved and cannot refit all its craft to the same standards.

It's still unclear whether the "real" Romulans would need such things. "Minefield" as such doesn't yet prove warp capability to be common in the Star Empire of the 22nd century - the two ships seen could in fact have had impulse drive only, and warp resources back then could indeed have been "limited". Alternately, the "BoT" ship could have been warp-capable on her own. A lot more canon material is needed to settle this for good...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does this explain Picard's comment in Insurrection?

Also they showed a TOS bop in ENT?? Haven't seen any season 2 yet.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pre-TOS bird of prey, yes.

And the Insurrection statement is not at all conclusive.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps someone can refresh my memory? What is this Insurrection statement?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"On Earth, petroleum once turned petty thugs into world leaders, warp drive helped to form a bunch of Romulan thugs into an empire" or something to that effect.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct about the petroleum bit.

oh and a PRE-TOS bop - why not just call it an ENT BOP?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How limited could warp resources be in the Enterprise era? Human freighters have it, the Vulcans have a fair number of ships, as do the Klingons, and most of the species of the week seem to have it. In fact, every single little dinky Suliban cell-ship has a warp drive. Heck, even the escape pods of the crappy freighter in "Precious Cargo" have them.

I suppose you could propose that the Romulans have some sort of internal problem with resources, but then they have the resources to build an entire cloaked minefield?

This is all very odd.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I remember that a lot of older novels and fan works presented the Romulan Star Empire as being in a resource poor region of space.

If they have no access to good supplies of dilithium then matter/anti-matter reactors are apparantly out of the question (never mind the physics...).

Maybe small and/or slow ships can be made warp capable with fusion power alone. Big ships can user singularity power plants. But maybe there's a minimum size of power plant that can be built around a singularity, or maybe singularity power plants are difficult to manufacture. So a large tender with a number of sub-light vessels made the mose sense to the Romulans.

Also explains the 24th C. Romulan habit of seemingly using only very small and very big ships...

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Heck, even the escape pods of the crappy freighter in "Precious Cargo" have them.
No they didn't. There was a whole scene dedicated to the pod falling out of the warp field of the freighter.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I found the article mentioning the upgrades to the Enterprise-E and how the Valdore and the Scorpion Class shuttle were designed much more interesting. To think how many new torp tubes were added in the strangest places.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
quote:
Heck, even the escape pods of the crappy freighter in "Precious Cargo" have them.
No they didn't. There was a whole scene dedicated to the pod falling out of the warp field of the freighter.
They made it all the way to a solar system and to one of the planets at sub-light speeds? Whoa. Either they were really lucky, or that episode was A LOT longer than I assumed.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

They were somewhere around 95 million kilometers from a planet as soon as they ejected. Just lucky, I guess. (The same luck that allows Enterprise, or any science fiction ship, to ever meet anything out in the vast emptiness of space.)

If you'd like, perhaps the freighter was flying close to a star system in order to mask their subspace signature.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps