Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How many starships can we find in EOTB? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How many starships can we find in EOTB?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you OK?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
There's more confusion with Kwan:
Lt. Nara said, that Kwan knew the Enterprise better than most people because he helped build it back at Utopia Planitia.
Troi said that Kwan arrived at Utopia Planitia six months after Finn's death.
Beverly said that Finn was reported missing at stardate 40987.2.

You see the problem with that?

BTW, the whole thing was a freakin hallucination from beginning to end, wasnt it? does that make the service records not real too?
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Ms. Troi was in charge of crew evaluations. The records may be elements of her memory from reviewing the records. This could account for the errors, ex. a crewman posted to three starships on the same date.
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought of that too.. what a cheat explanation.. basically, it gives us the excuse to explain away discontinuities we find in any dates we find in the unreal portion of the episode
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess for the third name for Salvatore Bruno is NILS BOHR (the physicist).
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's a good guess.

I am adding these ships to my list.
As for the questionable ships, I have them listed as Umizadu and Sullivan. (I see an u not an e or an i.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
i thought of that too.. what a cheat explanation.. basically, it gives us the excuse to explain away discontinuities we find in any dates we find in the unreal portion of the episode

Well, er, yeah. Don't you kinda have to? Unless you also have all the details in "Parallels" or "Frame of Mind" as being truthful and canon too.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
Member # 709

thats what i'm saying.. of course the events were unreal..

the computer displays however, are probably slightly accurate, but still, moot since they never appeared in a 'real' milieu.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, "Parallels" wasn't, strictly speaking, unreal, it just involved multiple lines of reality.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but anything that happened in the other timelines cannot be presumed to be true in the "real" timeline.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

No, of course. But, I'm just saying, "real" might be a term on loose footing when we're talking about more than one reality.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say they're all equally real. We didn't see 'm much, but they're there, superimposed along with our own and every other version of Reality.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the e-mail I sent Okuda:

quote:
Mr. Okuda,

I was glad to receive your reply on my previous queries, and another issue has recently come up on which I would greatly appreciate your insight.
With the release of the boxed-set DVDs of Star Trek: The Next Generation over the past year, fans are getting a clearer and closer look at the shows than ever before. Because of this, we are beginning to examine in detail many of the displays and graphics created by you and your colleagues at the Art Department for the show. More and more we can be treated to the little �in-jokes� or clever details that were incorporated into these screens.
Of particular interest at the moment are several personnel files that were displayed in the 7th-season episode �Eye of the Beholder.� They were not a main focus of the episode, but were visible enough to be at least partially read by viewers of the DVD. Among the information included in the files are the former and current postings of the individual Starfleet officers displayed. These include the names of several ships and Starfleet institutions.
Could you help to decipher the vessel names in each of these displays? See below.

Pictures 1-3:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/finn.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/kwan.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/pacelli.jpg

As you can see, these images are quite clear, having been shown in closer proximity to the camera in the episode. The starships listed are:
-SILVERSIDES (perhaps named for the World War II submarine?)
-ENTERPRISE
-SEAVIEW (a reference to �Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea�?)
-PUEBLO (after the U.S. ship seized by the Koreans?)
-SYRACUSE (for the Greek city that was Archimedes� home, or for something else?)
-PHILADELPHIA

Picture 4:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/eckridge.jpg

This one and the others are much harder to read. The listed vessels are:
-ENTERPRISE
-The second name appears to be NORTHRIDGE. Is this correct? (If so, I presume it was named for the city in southern California where the earthquake occurred some years ago?)

Picture 5:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/pierce.jpg

I can barely read this one at all. Listed ships are:
-ENTERPRISE
-I can�t read this one, but it looks like it could be something like �EMIDAZO� or �UMIDAZO� or something. Would you per chance remember what it might�ve been?
-This one is also very hard to read but it could be SULEIMAN or SULLIVAN. Does either name ring a bell?
-CHICAGO (at least that�s what it looks like to me)

Picture 6:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/salvatore.jpg

Another hard-to-read one. Listed ships appear to be:
-DONOVAN (what�s the source of this name?)
-ENTERPRISE
-I can�t quite make this one out. An acquaintance suggested it might be NILS BOHR, for the physicist, but I�m not sure.

Picture 7:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/wallace.jpg

This one seems to be decently clear. Names are:
-ENTERPRISE
-SEAQUEST (nifty little reference, by the way)
-BATON ROUGE

Picture 8:
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/displays/ziff.jpg

This one appears to have a running gag of ships named after �Cheers� characters!
-ENTERPRISE
-MALONE (as in Sam Malone)
-PETERSON (as in Norm Peterson)
-CLAYVIN (as in Cliff Clavin? I don�t think there should be a �Y� in there, but I�m assuming that�s what you meant given the above two)

It�s interesting to note that several of these individual�s careers included winning �Okuda Awards�! That�s cute. It�s kind of cool to know that stuff in the 24th century will be named for you, isn�t it?

Anyway, here�s to hoping you may be able to clear up the confusion around the uncertain names. Thanks for your time!

-Kristofer B. Olinger

I will let y'all know what he says when I receive a reply.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why you guys bothering him again. Leave him alone. Like he remembers.

Actually he might. He probably is writing a reply now and will write some article or something like that.

You guys need to buy him a beer, or take him to a strip bar or something in appreciation.

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Okuda has a pretty good record (second only to Sternbach, who will probably reply to a query within 24 hours if it's by e-mail) of taking an interest in fans' questions and doing his very best to answer them. I've corresponded with him several times, and he doesn't ever sound like he's annoyed at receiving the inquiry.

I know that he doesn't have the time to track obscure info down, but with something like these displays, I wouldn't be surprised if the visual cue would cause him to remember if any of those names are correct/incorrect.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.