Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Wolf 359 model that never was... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Wolf 359 model that never was...
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago I found myself incredibly bored, so, being the Star Trek fanboy that I am, I decided to naturally bug Mike Okuda about BoBW again. My email question had to do with this quote, from the interview he gave to Timo back in February 2000:

"Rick S. built the Mars perimeter ship from the same type of model kit. I think the body was made from a Typhoon-class Russian sub kit, although it was not specifically tied to the movie Red October. If I recall, he and I bought a whole bunch of kits, including the Russian subs, in hopes of doing some kitbash ships ourselves. I used a couple of other subs on the Buran."

My question was, did he or Rick build any other new ship kitbash designs from the extra parts, which didn't make it to the screen. He gave me an interesting answer.

He told me that there weren't any models finished but not used, but there was at least one design he had started but didn't finish. This particular ship was built from Ent-D parts, and the design was similar to the Chekov in that he wanted the secondary hull to be meshed to the back of the saucer in the same plane. However, the big difference was that he wanted the ship to be much, much smaller than the Miarecki bashes, so he had a 1/2 inch thick fiberglass "lollipop" shaped piece cut, to be placed between the entire ship's centerline (sort of like what Greg Jein did with the Connie saucer to make it into the Stargazer model). Supposedly, with this thickness, bigger windows could have been drawn on the hull to make the appearance of a smaller ship.

I suppose the closest description I can use for the ship would be a "Constellationized Galaxy."

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures. Neeeeeeeeeed pictures.....

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no pictures. Just the description. However, with all the graphic talent we have here, I'm sure someone could draw up a nice side-view diagram of the ship based on what I said...

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, the vaunted USS Lollipop! She's just been commissioned. She's a good ship.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh... this sounds like a very nice concept for a ship... One thing I'd like (if anyone drew it) was to have slightly different-style nacelles (like how the New Orleans nacelles were lengthened) to make it just a bit more unique -- especially if it's supposed to be a lot smaller than the other starships.

But of course, that's all up to us anyway since it never made it onto the screen? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first attempt:
link to wide picture

Lobo

[ December 31, 2002, 14:07: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Nice ship, Lobo, but I think you're thinking of the Buran...it would look more like the Chekov. The nacelles are in the normal place, not up & down.

Plus, you need to put in a 1/2 inch thick space through the middle of the entire ship's centerline (think Constellation saucer).

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Lobo did! Look, it's a 1/2 inch insert in 1:1 scale! If you squint really hard, you can see it! [Razz]

Anyway, in doing the insert, it has to be scaled appropriately. I'm guessing that the model would be built out of 1/2500 scale kits like the other "minor" ships; thus the 1/2 inch spacer would have to be scaled appropriately. One wonders how many decks this would correspond to...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I guess it would depend on how large you make the windows. I would guess that the spacer should have no more than three decks, preferably two if you want the ship really small while still being realistic. And don't forget the bigger bridge module!

--------------------

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok another one:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/mrbrown5/test/Grafik1sd.gif

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Lobo
Member # 669

I've still made this top view.
 -
http://mitglied.lycos.de/mrbrown5/test/Grafik1sda.gif

Lobo

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very good, but why did you rotate the saucer 90 degrees?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Lobo
Member # 669

quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
It's very good, but why did you rotate the saucer 90 degrees?

Ok here is the normal galaxy-like saucer:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/mrbrown5/test/Grafik1sdss.jpg

Lobo

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cool ship, but still bigger than what Okuda intended, I think. This one is about the size of the Miarecki ones... Okuda would have wanted something the size of a Miranda or smaller.

Timo Saloniemi

Lobo
Member # 669

Ok how is this?
http://mitglied.lycos.de/mrbrown5/okuda.gif

Lobo

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.