Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Klingon Raptor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Klingon Raptor
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I was just doing some scans and I realized that I had these on my computer but forgot to post them back when I did the Excelsior study pics and Constellation-class article from the January mag.

I did them slightly overlapping, so that they may be photoshopped together by someone with better skills at image manipulation than I. Damn multi-page fold-outs... [Mad]

I don't think this ship looks bad at all. I rather like it. It's kind of cool that the Romulan ship used similar nacelles.

http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt1.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt2.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt3.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt4.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt5.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt6.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt7.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt8a.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Rapt8b.jpg (Had to get the last bit of this one. Wish I had a bigger scanner-bed...)

[from the January 2003 issue of Star Trek: The Magazine, pp. 74-81]

Enjoy!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM,

Since you have already started a scanning marathon, care to finish the last leg and scan in the ENT BOP?

Thanks in advance...eyeing the other scans now...almost better than the magazine itself.
Art

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing the BoP at the moment, Art. I had to take a break because my scanner was getting tired.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM,

Thanks again for all the scans - nicest New Years gifts I have ever received! Your diligence is appreciated.

Art

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I'm doing the BoP at the moment, Art. I had to take a break because my scanner was getting tired.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also appreciate getting a decent gander at the Raptor, Mim! [Smile]

I still think it's quite silly that the Klingons are supposed to be bent on the "avian" designs when it's quite obvious that the Romulans are the ones with Birds of Prey even in the 2150's... And the ship looks quite over-developed for something that's supposedly more primitive than the D7...

*sigh*

Still, the ship itself is definitely nice, and I can see the distinct lineage. I guess I'm just more nostalgic about the TOS kinds of ships -- which is a much better option IMO.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I've finally given up and come to grips with the fact that the kind of ship style seen in TOS (smooth, almost featureless hulls and the like) simply aren't going to be used on a modern TV or film production. They are considered as looking too "low budget."

And, in reality, I think that the Raptor and ENT BoP designs do in fact look more primitive than later designs. (Maybe not compared with the TOS BoP and D7, but certainly compared with designs such as the Vor'cha and D'deridex.) They do have a nice, distinctive ENT-era "feel" to them, in spite of the intricate model detailing.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

And you guys are all welcome for the scans! [Smile]

--------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t
I never realized how glowy the raptor was [Razz]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mixed opinions on these ships regarding the design. However they are great looking ships nevertheless.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that the damaged model has some minor details that are different from the 'clean' model. Most notably the forward portion of the nacelles.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scans cleaned up:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/klingon-22ndcentury.htm

Thanks again, Kris!

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd and Mim, you guys are great!

...So, does anyone have some halfway-reliable size figures for both the Raptor and the early Romulan BOP? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I still think it's quite silly that the Klingons are supposed to be bent on the "avian" designs when it's quite obvious that the Romulans are the ones with Birds of Prey even in the 2150's...

To me, this just means that the Klingons and Romulans have had contact and technological exchange even earlier than we thought. Which is perfectly logical, considering that they are extremely close neighbors, even more so to each other than to Earth.

I wonder if the Klingons will have any role to play in the Romulan War?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
To me, this just means that the Klingons and Romulans have had contact and technological exchange even earlier than we thought.

Not necessarily. Although they both use birdlike designs, there has always been and still is a distinct difference between the design of Klingon and Romulan ships. The only oddity is the Klingon Bird of Prey as it has far more in common with the Romulan design ethic than that of the Klingons. Of course the Romulan connection was dropped for Star Trek III but I feel it's highly likely the Romulans had at least some part in it's development. Perhaps the KBoP is one of the products of the brief alliance between the two powers?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Distinct, yes, but also quite similar in many respects. And IMO, the best way to explain this is not simply to write it off to coincidence or convergent engineering evolution, but rather to assume that these races have "shared" (whether actively, grudgingly, covertly, or whatever) technology with each other throughout their respective histories. Especially, since we know them to be close neighbors in space, and since we already know that they *did* exchange tech in the TOS period.

Additionally, witness the fact that the Klingons have both "Warbirds" and "Birds-of-Prey" in the ENT era. (Designations known to be used by Romulans.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's next to no similarity between the Klingon and Romulan designs before the Romulans start flying D7s in TOS. The Raptor and D7 look entirely different to the ENT and TOS Bird of Preys.

The Klingons supposedly having "Warbirds" and "Bird of Preys" in ENT era is noteworthy, but it's worth mentioning that Braga has admitted that the Warbird comment in "Broken Bow" was a mistake.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps