Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Vogon, here's one for you...

Author Topic: Vogon, here's one for you...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as I was making scans, I figured I'd do the Sternbach article from back in the November mag, the one on Klingon personal weapons.

http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Kling1.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Kling2.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Kling3.jpg
http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Kling4.jpg

[from the November 2002 issue of Star Trek: The Magazine, pp. 64-67]

Due to a proofreading error, the power measurements quoted in the article are way off. Sternbach caught it after the issue was published, so they printed a correction in the January issue: http://www.cdeath.net/monkeyofmim/Kling5.jpg

[from the January 2003 issue of Star Trek: The Magazine, pg. 110]

Enjoy!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

This means you guys have had an opportunity now to see all four of the articles published in this series:

And y'all better be reeeal nice to me, 'cause I'm willing to bet that there'll be at least a couple more before the Mag gets cancelled in April. [Razz]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Nice one, Monkey! Thanks very much. 8)

You know, I'm running out of excuses as to why I haven't done the alien weapons section I've been planning for about three years. . . Maybe now is the time to start phasing sections in, one at a time, starting (obviously) with the Klingons. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Maybe now is the time to start phasing sections in

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMedy...!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L*, OK, that was totally unintended. . . 8)

--------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But no mention of the weapon that was taken apart and it's components hidden inside a klingon's armor. I know that weapon isn't likely standard issue but seems like just the thing KDF special forces would carry.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheF0rce:
But no mention of the weapon that was taken apart and it's components hidden inside a klingon's armor. I know that weapon isn't likely standard issue but seems like just the thing KDF special forces would carry.

The what what now?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably the weapon the two Klingon renegades smuggled aboard the Enterprise in "Heart of Glory." But I would classify that as "random gun owned by pair of crazy people" instead of "elite special forces weapon."
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the gun was really spread across the three of them (they swiped a shoe horn or something offa the dead guy), so "special forces" doesn't make the most sense. However, it was certainly a Klingon-ish design, in style and general shape. It could easily be a civilian weapon, carried by smugglers or something in case they were ever searched.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That weapons article just plain rocks. (Although for some reason, people of the 24th century are obsessed with numerical values and decimals to an unhealthy degree.)

Apparently, the "D2" is the thin-barreled thing seen in ST5 and early TNG - the one that actually fit within the old holsters. The timeline seems to claim it predates the "modern" version, yet we basically saw this "modern" gun or its close lookalike in ST3 already. *After* the 2279 introduction date of the D2. Something amiss there. Is the D2 the ST3 version after all?

I'd also have loved to see pictures of the other bladed weapons, of which Rick lists a horde. Quite a few were seen on the various walls in both "Reunion" and "Redemption", suggesting they are widespread if not standard issue. There are good fan pages on these, I know, but an official gallery would also be nice.

How come the locations of the three baakonite mines are a mystery? Even I know for sure the location of one of them - right down on Qo'noS! How else could this be a "traditional" material? (Or has the original mine run out of the material?)

Fancy seeing that concealed weapon on the three Klingon rebels who actually claimed to be promoting a Kahlessian honor movement in a dishonorable Empire... Also, what about the assassin's rifle in ST6? Originally, it was to be a Starfleet weapon, but the final prop had Klingon font on the sight display, and looked "alien" overall.

Timo Saloniemi

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That material may have been on the original QonoS but not on the new one...

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Lee
Member # 393

Ah yes, the "Man with the Golden Gun" weapon. I'm actually planning to feature that one, I have nice vidcaps. My take on it was going to be (since I haven't written a single word yet) that it's at best a weapon developed for a spy, at worst a home-made weapon. I don't buy it as special-forces equipment.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps