Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Malfunctions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starship Malfunctions
Kalax
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for Kalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of a little project, I'm looking for a listing of Starship Malfunctions. I know this is a bit odd, and a lot of it is technobabble, but if anyone knows any specific malfunctions and what systems they affect, its much appreciated.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, are you looking for what we might call pure malfunctions, or do ones caused as a result of sabotage or some unintentional source count? Just off the top of my head, you've got some serious computer failures in "Lonely Among Us" and "Contagion," but the first was due to a trapped energy being and the second a millenia-old infoweapon.

As far as nonmalicious mechanical failures go, there's the flawed dilithium support frame in "The Drumhead."

So which kind are you looking for?

QuinnTV
Member # 859

- posted      Profile for QuinnTV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starboard Power Coupling !
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CORE BREACH!

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And right after thats: CORE EJECTION SYSTEMS OFFLINE!!!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the one will never, ever be included is the failure of the gravity generators! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, they did that on ENT already... [Razz]
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And recently, for the first time ever, a failure of the self-destruct system. [Big Grin]

Transporter systems have malfunctioned a couple times, reasons ranging from bad weather to missing component to sabatoge.

The fire suppression system is almost always malfunctioning, back on the Ent-D.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holodecks, if you're willing to spare a couple of hundred pages.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i almost crapped myself when Voyager's core ejection system worked that one time. I mean, the core NEVER ejects.. EVER.. that would have been too easy! Does anyone have a good tally of how many times the day would have been saved by a core ejection? "Generations" "Cause and Effect" "Contagion".. oh man.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Voyager's auto-destruct system malfunctioned and couldn't be activated back in "Basics, Part I"... the finale for the 2nd season where they kept on getting attacked by the Kazon. because of Seska.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there really is a way around the failure of the auto-destruct system. Just drop the containment fields around the antimatter in the core and the pods.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There probably isn't a way to do that manually, that'd be alittle dangerous. I'll bet that can only be done as a command through the self-destruct system.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could always just shoot the antimatter pods w/ a phaser.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get phaser rifle. go to engineering. i'll let you figure it from there.

maybe they just didn't WANT to die as much as they should have at that point, hmmm?

[edit: DAMN YOU TSN, FOR THINKING IN A SIMILAR VEIN AS MYSELF AND THEN POSTING IN A SOMEWHAT QUICKER MANNER, BY MERE SECONDS, EVEN]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps