Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » MORE Nemesis Concept Art: Shuttles and Spacedock (minor spoilers)

Author Topic: MORE Nemesis Concept Art: Shuttles and Spacedock (minor spoilers)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone I think requested this stuff in the original concept art thread, and I figured I'd start a new one because that thread has now gone off in a different direction. (Discussion of modifications to the Enterprise for the film.)

These are also from the latest (February) edition of Star Trek: The Magazine.

This one shows some of Eaves' design sketches for the Argo, and this one shows concepts for the spacedock (with cool "gooseneck" attachment designed to dock with the Sovereign's saucer shuttlebay) and some nice new workbees (also cool [Smile] ) that unfortunately didn't make it to the film, instead being redesigned and replaced with the dock shuttles we saw in the finished movie. (Uncool. I like Eaves' designs better... [Frown] )

Anyhow, enjoy!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

As a nice (and rather coincidental, since I didn't realize it when I was making the scans) bonus, the first pic also contains part of the interview with Eaves---specifically, the passage in which he confirms that he was intentionally trying to emulate the Klingon BoP when designing the Valdore. (Take that, all you "he's just a lazy-ass" bashers... [Razz] )

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an odd silhouette of the ship that he's drawn for that gooseneck thing...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I can finally take this article and shove it in the faces of those [not anyone from this board] that can state that the Valadore has "nothing in common" with any old designs, namely klingon ships and bops.
*packs shotgun*
"Ima comin for you dem bitches"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the silhouette is a little wonky.

Leaving what anyone may think about his designs totally aside, I think art-wise Eaves does the coolest-looking sketches. Sternbach's are sorta staid, Delgado's really, er, pennish, and Probert leans almost comic-book-wards, which is cool, but not really my scene. Eaves's, stylistically-speaking, look like they could show up in a design studio at Porsche or something. Anyone care to clarify what medium he's using? Ink? Watercolour? (Or, uh, both?) The B+W Scimitar perspective drawings were especially purty.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ish.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does this mean that the Valdore is actually a Romulan Bird of Prey or is it still a Warbird?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can call it a battlecruiser or a starironclad or spaceship if you really want to. Onscreen it and its classmates were called Warbirds, but SWAT teams will not burst in the nearest window if you call it something else.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pity they didn't go with one of the workbees as the 1st is cool, however the 4th one looks like a demented squid.

Is there any indication that they will show the other Eaves designs for the buggy?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, As UM's link suggests, those concept sketchs are most likely done in Marker and using ink for the blacks.

Professional grade markers are sweet, though I could never get down with them. In alot of cases they act almost just like watercolor.

As far as I know, the markers provide a way to quickly block out color and shape. If I had to guess, I'd say the drawings are laid down in pencil, then traced over with marker and ink.

However, these guys are pretty good, so they may not even do the pencil thing. They may go straight to the inks to block their stuff out.

EDIT: Now that I look at that link again, I see there are more pages to his Prep section. Doug doesn't mention the use of colored markers, but the same basic technique would likely apply. Instead of using greys to define the form, a color artist would put down various midtones and darks, then go over them with local color. At least... that's how I'd do it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
So does this mean that the Valdore is actually a Romulan Bird of Prey or is it still a Warbird?

COMMANDER DONATRA:
Captain Picard, this is Commander Donatra of the Warbird
Valdore. Might we be of assistance?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Anyone care to clarify what medium he's using? Ink? Watercolour? (Or, uh, both?) The B+W Scimitar perspective drawings were especially purty.

Thems markers on marker paper with white ink for the highlights and black technical pen.
Damn fine work too.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps