Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Londoner deployment orders (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Londoner deployment orders
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, look everyone! Another opportunity for the Brits to provide us left-side-of-the-worlders with crazy cool tech info!

From a review of Hyde Park's Trek Exhibition:
quote:
In addition to the always well-catalogued previous series and nine films, a real effort has been made to promote ENTERPRISE and NEMESIS. In addition to the armory are story boards and cardboard study models from ENTERPRISE pre-production. The walls have original concept art for the design of the NX-01, complete with doodlings and comments such as "Too futuristic" and "Keep the nacelles," and photographs document the building of key sets.
Your mission: to boldly circumvent flash photography bans...

We can, uh, have a race. Yes!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went last Saturday. Been meaning to find the time to post about it.

Stuff I noticed that would be interesting to this board:

Excelsior model, labelled NCC-2000 on the underside and NCC-42111 on the top. Name wasn't legible from the angle, but looked like a single long word (i.e. no USS) could be Fredrickson.

Negh'Var model is strange - the underside is totally flat. Was this a shooting model? Did we ever see a Negh'Var from beneath until they went CGI?

Nice concept sketch of a retro klingon bird of prey for Enterprise. Not the Raptor, not the retro-D7, but a retro BoP. Take a BoP, scrunch it up, shorten the neck and wings, place the guns on top of the wings. Had the note 'save for a future episode' written on it.

NX-01 concept sketches were cool. About half a dozen concepts before getting near the NX-01. Some were labelled 'too 24th century' (and had typical Eaves dominion like nacelles) some were labelled 'too 21st century'. The first element to be decided on were the nacelles. Then the catamaran, then the saucer. It really didn't start to look like the Akira until the end of the process so I think stories about TPTB coming and sticking their noses in an making it Akira-like are true.

Some concept sketches for the ship seen from behind in the credits. Bad luck, all were aft views and it was just 'title sequence ship'. I don't think that anything more exists about this ship.

Label on a props display admitted that the starfleet rifle from Enterprise had previously been a bajoran rifle.

Lots of nice stuff to look at, but those were the techie highlights.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully I'll get round to going before it ends. . . But is it it worth it, all told? Plus, is photography allowed? Knowing what to look for, I might be able to get some snaps. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tickets said no photography which is why I didn't take my camera. But there were lots of people snapping away and no seemed to be trying to stop them.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Excelsior model, labelled NCC-2000 on the underside and NCC-42111 on the top. Name wasn't legible from the angle, but looked like a single long word (i.e. no USS) could be Fredrickson.
If this is the original ILM model (& not the one built later for Voyager by Greg Jein), then this is proof that the Excelsior NCC-2000 was never relabeled or re-regged as any other ship it represented in the entirety of TNG or the first few seasons of DS9 until the Dominion War. (The only exception being the Melbourne in "Emissary," but wasn't that actually a model kit in the closeup?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
If this is the original ILM model (& not the one built later for Voyager by Greg Jein), then this is proof that the Excelsior NCC-2000 was never relabeled or re-regged as any other ship it represented in the entirety of TNG or the first few seasons of DS9 until the Dominion War. (The only exception being the Melbourne in "Emissary," but wasn't that actually a model kit in the closeup?

On the underside, you mean.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the underside of the ship was all we ever saw in TNG.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, this would be the 3-foot Excelsior model created for VOY "Flashback". The 8-foot model was modified into the Enterprise-B and then the Lakota, and was relabbeled accordingly for both appearances. The 3-foot model was obviously relabeled as the Fredrickson (sp) for its appearance in DS9 "A Time to Stand" and not since then.

However, this in turn suggests that the Excelsior model, if it was used at the end of DS9 "Call to Arms" (and not a GCI model), would still be labelled NCC-2000.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plasma rifle from Enterprise is a modified Dominion weapon, though, and I don't think the Dominion and Bajoran models had much in common. So ha ha, fancy labeler types!

http://www.phasers.net/2150/class3b.jpg

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And before it was a Jem'Hadar weapon it was a Hunter-guys weapon, maybe that's where they got confused.

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

The prop on display was a Bajoran rifle painted silver. So if it wasn't used by Starfleet who was it used by?

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
No, this would be the 3-foot Excelsior model created for VOY "Flashback".

Yeah, the model looked close to 3 foot. Certainly much shorter than 8 foot. But hard to measure accurately when it's hanging some way above your head...

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

This is the Bajoran rifle. I've never seen it used as a Starfleet prop. That's not to say it hasn't been, since I don't watch Enterprise. Perhaps they considered using a redressed version as the plasma rifle, only to decide it was too alien-looking. I can't recall any other alien race carrying this prop either.

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

Yes, I know what the Bajoran rifle looks like. There was one of those, painted silver in a display case in the Enterprise section and labelled as a Starfleet rifle. I can't remember if it was specified what sort of rifle it was (plasma, phase, whatever). I can't recall seeing it in season one (all I've seen so far) of Enterprise either.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Exactly. So either it's been seen used but not noticed by anyone, or as I suggested it was considered for use but ultimately rejected. Why they thought a Dominion rifle doubling as a Starfleet weapon would be less easily noticed than a Bajoran one shall remain a mystery. 8)

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps