Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Newish Wolf-359 Material? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Newish Wolf-359 Material?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maxwell - Probably NOT for Benjamin Maxwell of the Phoenix
Well, Wolf 359 took place before Captain Maxwell went off the deep end...
quote:
Vega - Star about 26 ly away. Subject of Isaac Asimov's novel "Contact"
Um, "Contact" was written by Carl Sagan! [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
The Sacred Chalice of Rixx? From Betazed?

Good point! Perhaps Rixx is a city on Betazed, maybe a temple or even an ancient religious figure or deity (ancient Bolian contact perhaps? [Wink] ).
On the other hand Rixx could just as easily be the name of a 21st century Tellarite philosipher or the Klingon word for a kind of green putty that can be found in one's armpit one mid-summer morning.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
http://www.beamen.at/st-adventure/London_328.jpg

Upon looking at this photo & other concept drawings of the NX-01 by John Eaves, I have to wonder if he has ever actually seen an episode of TOS. Especially in the second concept, he seems to think that a vessel, which came 100 years before Kirk's Enterprise, should for some reason look almost exactly like Picard's Enterprise-E 200 years later, the only difference being the Cochrane-Phoenix nacelles. No wonder Drexler ended up using the Akira as a template - Eaves gave him the idea! [Wink]

Good lord my neck hurts now...

Anyway wow, I don't really see a single original concept up there.
The very first thing on top [err to the left] looks like the sovi's captain's yacht.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like my brain is working wackbards this morning. I seem to be celebrating this new year's a bit too hard.

Sagan. Rixx. Zetar. Got it. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't it make the most sense if the Maxwell were named for James Clerk Maxwell, the physicist?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Okay, so extracting the new names from that list:
Gauss - For the magnetic dude

Err, I think you mean the Mathematics dude.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klondike - Didn't Uhura mention that guy in ST3? The inventor of the transwarp-drive?
Brahms - probably the musician
Solaris - Stanislaw Lem's novel (and a bad Clooney-movie)?
Shimoda - wasn't that the name of the chief engineer of the E-D in one of the early episodes?
Khumbu - according to google a region near the Everest in Nepal (sounds reasonable since Everest and Nepal are on that list, too)
Popovich - early Cosmonaut Pavel Popovich?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Klondike - Didn't Uhura mention that guy in ST3? The inventor of the transwarp-drive?
That was Thorndyke. And Uhura only mentions him in the German dubbing.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that something that was cut from the original!?! Why would they just add extra dialogue in there like that?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English:

UHURA
Would you look at that!

German:

UHURA
Nicht zu fassen. Thorndykes Idee.
(Unbelievable. Thorndyke's idea.)

quote:
Why would they just add extra dialogue in there like that?
You'd be surprised, if you knew what they did with TOS and TAS. The dubbing is horrible.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So mabye TAS does'nt suck in another language?
It sure sucks in english.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
The original version is brillant compared to the German dubbing. Spock tells jokes in every episode.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
The original version is brillant compared to the German dubbing. Spock tells jokes in every episode.
And every episode's just about 15 minutes long. They cut more than 10 minutes for whatever reason, sometimes deleting whole subplots or creating a totally new story out of the remains. None of the figures has the same voice actor as his/her counterpart in TOS, Arex sounds like he's suffering from lung cancer and M'Ress like a girl from a sex hotline. I haven't seen the original TAS (in fact, I haven't even seen many of the german version either), but how bad it may ever be in the original version, the german version is worse.

And where the hell did they get the name Thorndyke anyway? That's not just changing the dialogue a little bit, that a concrete information they give a way for a reason.

Oh, and did anyone ask someone with more information on the list yet?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the germans retaliating for that whole "nazi episode" thing. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any new info yet????

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps