Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Using Navy knowledge (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Using Navy knowledge
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I think the implication was that shields might have been ineffective against Dominion weapons, but they might have stopped the Jem'Hadar ship from ramming into the Odyssey

My take on it was, and still is, it was totally alien technology and Starfleet didn't have a prayer. We saw in the show where the Jem'Hadar soldier in ops was 'trapped' in a forcefield, or so we all thought, and then he walked through it as though it wasn't there.

I made the same assumption about the Jem'Hadar Fighters. Whether the Odyssey's shields were up or down, I think the collision run would've succeeded anyway. I agree though that Starfleet didn't anticipate the tactic.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The technobabble was also perfect, there were no obvious Trek solutions to the crisis left unexplored.
Actually, there was one Trek solution - they could have beamed everyone from the runabouts to the Odyssey, thus rendering it temporarily indestructible. [Wink]

The Odyssey explosion was one of the best ever in Trek. It may have been a stock explosion, but they followed it with the spinning, destroyed saucer emerging from the flames. Wow! Add to that the sheer fact that it was a Galaxy-class ship, obstensibly the equal to the Enterprise-D in combat capability (even with Keogh aboard, and not to mention the additional runabouts), and the producers really got their point across that the Dominion were no small fry. Very effective.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Trek could stay this consistent to *itself* more often, there'd be no speak of the fans getting alienated or the franchise dying.
Oh, of course there would be. This DS9 show is too much of a melodrama, they'd say. Soap opera in space. Where is the young Kirk we used to know?

We will not be happy until we are dead.

I have to question how shocking the destruction of the Odyssey was, really. I mean, I can't remember what I thought, and it wasn't all that long ago. I'm not quaking in my boots in fear of the Iconians, after all. (Though I do make a few nervous passes of my room looking for glowing blue spheres before booting up the computer in the morning.) More importantly, neither were the characters, which I suspect is the main difference, and I bet we'd still be talking about the destruction of the Odyssey if it had all been offscreen.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone on here pointed out that the point was doubly made by the fact that the Odyssey was made a Galaxy-class ship as a clone of the Enterprise-D and Keogh himself was meant to be a clone of Picard.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in fact, they backed off a little from their initial treatment of the casting, they had Oppenheimer wear a toupee to lessen his resemblance to the good Frenchman.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

Also, neither side wimped out nor won an easy victory. The Federation weapons didn't bite deep enough, but they were shown to *work* - a hit rate of 100% was maintained for the Galaxy, even though the runabout scored a miss, a rare event indeed. The Dominion weapons were alien and devastating, but they didn't do the job by themselves. Tactics and sacrifice were needed.

I never got that impression. Yeah, the Odyssey hit with 100% accuracy. So what? The Jem Hadar fighters weren't even slightly damaged, as far as we could see. The ship could have pounded the Jem Hadar fighters with water pistols with 100% accuracy, but we wouldn't say there were effective.

I think you're wrong about the ramming too. I do think that the Jem Hadar weapons were doing the job by themselves. The Odysset was spewing plasma (or whatever) and looked fairly crippled. The whole implication I got from the fight was that the Dominion knew that they had won, they'd proved their technologocial superiority, and the ramming was the icing on the cake to prove a point. It was showing that they were completely 100% commited to keeping the Federation out of Dominion Space. The sacrifice wasn't needed, and yet they did it anyway. That's how fanatical they were.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Psy has a point there. The Dominion had already won... Sisko even stated that they were just proving a point with the destruction of the Odyssey.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forking the discussion of the thread, if not the topic:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,109053,00.asp

Essentially, the US Navy is moving towards something described in the TNG Technical Manual - being able to pilot a ship on your PDA while walking down the corridor.

The article also describes a possible 70% reduction in crew sizes thanks to automation. This is in line with my belief that Roddenberry's notion that the bulk of the crew is officer-class was actually spot-on.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps