Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Unceasing Tech ["Cease Fire" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Unceasing Tech ["Cease Fire" Spoilers]
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... an Andorian orgy seems promising.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, who's gonna do 'caps of the Andorian ships?

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about anyone else but I got the impression that Trip was just bluffing about the lifesigns...
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet Tripp thought he was bluffing too. Hoshi only THOUGHT she detected the captain.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think that Trip's "gunboat diplomacy" was a big bluff - obviously outnumbered by either side, and knowing that since the Vulcans had better weapons than they, that the Andorians must have something comparable. Or else he was betting on diplomatic repercussions - but would Earth be in a position to weight in against the other two?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching this episode, I got the distinct impression that the Andorians are a single planet with a few strategic colony outposts. The Vulcans, on the other hand, seem to have a number of colony worlds that have been established for a long time. I wonder if the Vulcans could conquer the Andorians if they wanted to? They seem pretty insecure to me.

--------------------
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Andorians are just insecure...perhaps because their males are shorter than their females? [Wink]

I am guessing the Andorians are most likely equally advanced as the Vulcans, or if not, still significantly more advanced than Starfleet becuase they can manage to hold off Vulcan forces to a stalemate.

I just think that it is funny that Earth is so weak technologically and so forth during the 22nd Century compared to what we have seen of the Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, and presumably Tellerites, yet in 200 years manage to catch up with those races and meet or surpass them technologically. hmm...perhaps we owe this to Section 31...

Oh shit...perhaps I shouldnt open that door...I would HATE to see an episode in Enterprise involving those individuals. [Mad]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear in mind that the Vulcans are intentionally withholding technological advancements from the humans, just like humans do in later series because of the Prime Directive. Once the Federation forms, there will presumably be a complete exchange of technology among the members, bringing Earth up to Vulcan's level overnight.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
perhaps we owe this to Section 31...

Oh shit...perhaps I shouldnt open that door...I would HATE to see an episode in Enterprise involving those individuals.

IIRC Sloan said that Section 31 was founded at the same time as the Federation.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like this episode as much because of the technology. It was totally stupid to say they could not pinpoint the Captain's location... my butt. We can do that today.

Shuttle leaves ship, visual camera follows shuttle, telescope lense focuses on the shuttle as it goes down, camera sees shuttle go down, camera sees captain walk out....

If we have cameras that I can see the tree outside of my house from space...then we have cameras that can see the shuttle. And I've heard we have cameras that are more than capable of seeing people [identifying them might be hard, but if you followed the crew down you can tell who they are]. The Andorians were not blocking light... we could still see the surface, so a camera would have worked.

I just hate their use of technology--- What not use laser data transfer for communication when other signals are blocked? Yeesh....

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TheWoozle
Member # 929

Thta works if you are right over the target and watching it. if you have to find it, around the side of the planet, it gets harder. They COULD have been in stationary orbit, but that's a little farther out then standard (low) orbit.

--------------------
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought we had established that Shran had ECM going nuts over the planet? That'd screw near everything up - and the atmosphere could disrupt a laser beam.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Oh shit...perhaps I shouldnt open that door...I would HATE to see an episode in Enterprise involving those individuals.

I know what Sloan said...but SOMETHING HAS to lead up to that organization deciding to form as it did.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I thought we had established that Shran had ECM going nuts over the planet? That'd screw near everything up - and the atmosphere could disrupt a laser beam.

I presume Archer knows Morse code or some equivalent... he could've just pointed his phase pistol straight up and fired off his message, literally.

...And pray that he doesn't hit the ship. [Wink] (I know, that's highly unlikely without some super-precise aiming beyond human abilities.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure Sloan said it was included in the original Starfleet charter. (Although apparently, from our discussion in the Daedalus thread, you think he meant a different Starfleet... [Razz] )

In any case, I probably still wouldn't advocate the appearance of Sec 31 in ENT. That storyline lay distinctly within DS9's purview. It wouldn't seem appropriate to me to go into it again on this show.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps