Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Unceasing Tech ["Cease Fire" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Unceasing Tech ["Cease Fire" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pointing one's pistol in the air and firing would certainly give away their position. Which, as I gather, is exactly not what they wanted to do. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting a new thead entitled "Section 31 and You" err..."Section 31 on Enterprise" probably wouldnt be too popular in this here forum but it is an interesting idea nonetheless...

AND IN NO WAY AM I IMPLYING SUCH A TOPIC or EPISODE THEME SHOULD EXIST!...

:::SARCASM:::

THANK YOU!!

goodnite everybody.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure Sloan said it was included in the original Starfleet charter.
So, it was included in the Starfleet charter and founded to protect the Federation. Another point for the "Earth Starfleet =! Federation Starfleet" theory.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
They COULD have been in stationary orbit, but that's a little farther out then standard (low) orbit.

Which raises the question of just what "standard orbit" is.

Over Earth, a low orbit can be as little as 120 miles above the surface, which a geosynchronous one is something on the order of 23,000 miles. That's a pretty significant jump, as the former is about 1/66th the planet's diameter while the latter is about 3x said diameter.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an old Best of Trek article with an interesting idea about "standard orbit." It supposed that a standard orbit is a powered synchronous orbit at low altitudes. On the shows, the ships are never seen orbiting at synchronous height*, yet they are always within line-of-sight for transporters, communications, the rare orbital bombardment, etc. This is impossible that close to a planet, due to the way that simple orbiting works. In TOS, orbits often "decayed" rapidly when the ship lost power. Why would this happen? Obviously, power was required to keep the ship in its orbit... a "standard orbit" would then be a hovering operation over a certain spot, maybe the capital of an inhabited planet.

* Granted, the shows also show the ship visibly moving over the planet's rotation, but this is clearly a visual effects contrivance.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot about the atmosphere disrupting the laser... but still the ship following the shuttle with an external camera is well within the capabilities of our time.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or mabye the Enterprise was only brought in close enough to get the shuttle there and then resume a standoff-ish posture with the Vulcan ships: remember that Trip does'nt trust them to keep their word and not send in troops.
...or mabye he's just liking that center seat a little too much. [Big Grin]

BTW: Reed founds Section 31 at the Federation's founding.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a great shot of one of the beautiful Andorian vessels from the ep, along with one of the Vulcan ships and the NX-01:

-

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome and at that, very high quality!! Hopefully we will get an eyeful of new ships like this that will be reused on a regular basis.

Any guesses on what those "pods" are on the "wings"? Do you think they are auxilary craft on the nacelles, or is it a single nacelled (in the aft/tail section) or are they the red-lit portion of the "wings" and the blue tail the impulse glow??

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Andorian design is pretty good, although perhaps a bit.. big.

So.. are there any ships that might have an Andorian background? Perhaps the holoship? Or the "Antares" freighter thing?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The front end is shares by most TNG shuttles and the runabout. There could be something there - Andorians are known as ship builders in the extended fandom.

I'm thinking that the wing pods AND the tail glowing thing are both nacelles - the tail things are grille-styled more than exhaust ports. I hope we'll be seeing these ships again, and soon!

MArk

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized.. with the demise of the Magazine, we'll likely never see proper schematics of any of these ships [Frown] [Mad]

[ February 17, 2003, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I presume Archer knows Morse code or some equivalent...
Sure! Remember Hoshi's dream from "Vanishing Point"? In the Captain's office, Ready Room, whatever they call it, Hoshi tried to get Archer's attention using Morse Code. Which means it's still in use a couple hundred years from now.

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Andorian ship really looks like the White Star from this angle.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee, are you on crack or something? Any idiot can tell that the Andorian ship isn't blue/purple/green/... [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.