Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class of USS Trieste (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Class of USS Trieste
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know that the USS Trieste is Merced class, right? Well, I got to looking at this image on Spike's site (link, 7th one down) and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the USS Trieste is listed as Yosemite class. [Confused]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've already discussed that. This screenshot from a TNG episode confirms that the Trieste is listed as Merced-class. The conclusion was that the display you mentioned was either a pre-production version or corrected later.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, that's a scan I made and drew on. In case you're wondering, the picture is out of a 30th anniversary magazine I had (and currently can't find). It also had a large picture of the VGR Cutaway graphic from the rear of the bridge.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, lets not bring up anything anyone ever talked about on here before or people will get cranky, and heads will roll.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better yet: Let us not misinterpret comments.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was being sarcastic...lets not misinterpret

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally got it directly from Okuda that the class name was changed on the final display because the Oberth-class U.S.S. Yosemite made an appearance in "Realm of Fear" (TNG) and he wanted to avoid the confusion that might result. This is noted in the pertinent entries (Yosemite and Trieste) of my shiplist.

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
wow, lets not bring up anything anyone ever talked about on here before or people will get cranky, and heads will roll.

I can understand that everyone is not always aware of everything that's been covered on this board over the years, and agree that (usually) they don't deserve to have everyone jump down their throat when they post a repeat question, but this forum does have a "search" function, which it is a good idea to make use of before posting about something that may have been discussed previously.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Well, my mistake. Didn't know this had been covered...

And just so you know, Mim, not everyone is used to a working search function [Wink]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a SEARCH function!?! [Smile]

I've never seen this particular topic covered before.

I was going to put forward maybe two Triestes.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Oh. Well, my mistake. Didn't know this had been covered...

And just so you know, Mim, not everyone is used to a working search function [Wink]

Ouch.

Okuda changed it from Yosemite-class to Merced-class because he knew there was going to be a USS Yosemite. Does that give us a hint for when the siplist first appeared? Or was it seen ages before and just changed when Okuda learned about the Yosemite's appearance? And why would he change such a minor detail that no one could read on the small screen after all? (OK, the answer to the last question may be 'dedication' and 'enthusiasm', but forgive me that I suspected in our current post-Voyager-situation these words have become meaningless [Frown] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well, you see, from when Flare was first created until this current incarnation, the search function never worked. [Smile]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

it works okay for me, you just need to be DAMN specific to find EXACTLY what you want.

quote:
Does that give us a hint for when the s[h]iplist first appeared?
well based on this: Sectors 21538-23079 - those falls quite near to known Cardassian sectors according to what has been said on air.
Sector 19658 - "Parallels"
21305 - "Ensign Ro"
21459 - "The Chase"
21503 - "The Wounded"
21505 - "The Wounded"
21527 - "Chain of Command, Part II"

I am almost 100% certain that the list in question is the list seen in the conference room during "Chain of Command, Part I" where Capt Jellico and Gul Lemek are to discuss peace talks. The sectors seem to fit that region of known Cardassian space and that list from a distance seems to fit the same design of the list we see in these Okudagrams, in fact with my video on pause compared to the file of it from the website, the "hills and valleys" from the lengths of the words...ships, classes, registies, etc fit exactly. If anyone has the DVD it might be worth a look, you can first see it right after Jellico gives Troi the "Cardassians are wolves" speech and not long after he, troi and riker parades into the conference room to meet an irate lemek. It is possible and probably to be seen elsewhere in that episode (I stopped the tape at the point i first saw it), either way, it is possible to be the current strengths and positions (or not, seeing its on display while Lemek is sitting in the room alone) of all starfleet vessels near the Federation/Cardassian Border at that time seeing the possibility of an invasion exists.

ha- not bad for a loathed "newbie" (to this site, not Trek)

[ February 15, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
ha- not bad for a loathed "newbie" (to this site, not Trek)

That's way out of line, FG. Don't let it happen again. Don't bring your gripes into other threads/fora.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF? He made a cynical comment. Since when is that "out of line"? Leave this poor guy alone, he's posting stuff that actually contributes to the thread. (In fact, he's the only one who's actually brought NEW information into the discussion. Namely, a likely first appearance of the display in question, which I've asked about many time before but no one has ever provided.)

Your comment is the one that's out of line, Topher. Why is everyone behaving like jerks?

-MMoM [Mad]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Umm, so yeah...like I said...check out Chain of Command and we may very well have solved other little okudagram mystery [Smile]

BTW, I was being smug, which last I checked, fits into the sarcasm category...lets try to stay in line by staying on topic here. [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps