Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class of USS Trieste (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Class of USS Trieste
Scott Nixon
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Scott Nixon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first occurance of this chart for me was page 35 of "Star Trek The Next Generation" magazine, volume 15 ('90-'91 season), published by Starlog in '91. There is an article on Mike Okuda, with a bunch of Okudagrams from the show accompanying the text, the starship chart being one of them. The caption for this Okudagram says "A readout from the Bridge missions operations station on current status in sectors 21538-23079." Since this was already existing by '91, then I'd say the chart had to exist prior to "Chain of Command," which was in the '92-'93 season; and if the caption is accurate, it looks like the chart originated as a graphic on one of the small screens on the bridge.
I remember that on the "Captain's Chair" CD-ROM, this chart is one of the choices for one of the big viewscreens in the E-D briefing room. If the placement of the graphics in "Captain's Chair" is accurate to how things were set up on the TNG soundstages, then maybe the chart started out as a small graphic on the bridge near the beginning of the series then was 'enlarged' or whatever for the briefing room later--such as for "Chain of Command."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Nixon:
The first occurance of this chart for me was page 35 of "Star Trek The Next Generation" magazine, volume 15 ('90-'91 season), published by Starlog in '91. There is an article on Mike Okuda, with a bunch of Okudagrams from the show accompanying the text, the starship chart being one of them. The caption for this Okudagram says "A readout from the Bridge missions operations station on current status in sectors 21538-23079." Since this was already existing by '91, then I'd say the chart had to exist prior to "Chain of Command," which was in the '92-'93 season; and if the caption is accurate, it looks like the chart originated as a graphic on one of the small screens on the bridge.
I remember that on the "Captain's Chair" CD-ROM, this chart is one of the choices for one of the big viewscreens in the E-D briefing room. If the placement of the graphics in "Captain's Chair" is accurate to how things were set up on the TNG soundstages, then maybe the chart started out as a small graphic on the bridge near the beginning of the series then was 'enlarged' or whatever for the briefing room later--such as for "Chain of Command."

So I take it that this is the Yosemite-class version you're referring to, right?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Scott Nixon
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Scott Nixon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

--------------------
"One person's modus ponens is someone else's modus tollens."

Scott Nixon
Member # 540

I just checked my copy of "Captain's Chair," and it looks like I need to clarify:
The chart in the magazine has Trieste as Yosemite class, while the chart in "Captain's Chair" has Trieste as Merced class.

--------------------
"One person's modus ponens is someone else's modus tollens."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we get any more entrenched in this, I suggest everyone read through this thread from a while back and familiarize yourselves with what has already been talked about. The image links in my posts at the beginning are now defunct, but to summarize, there are three versions of this display:

The original version.
This was the first incarnation, which it now seems probably appeared on bridge console screens prior to "The Chain of Command."

The revised version.
From the conference lounge set. Modified from the above in only one way---the class of the Trieste was changed to Merced-class in order to avoid confusion after the U.S.S. Yosemite appeared as an Oberth-class vessel in "Realm of Fear." This is what I would consider the definitive version.

The Captain's Chair CD-ROM version.
The graphic was apparently altered extensively for the CD-ROM, as there are numerous differences from the above versions. Among them are changes to starship assignment listings, the registry of the Zhukov, and the spelling of Merrimac(k). So far as we know, this version never appeared on the show and is not canon.

If version #2 first appeared in season 6's "The Chain of Command," then the question still stands as to when version #1 first appeared. In the other thread, someone claimed to have remembered it from as early as season 3's "Sins of the Father." I asked then and I'll ask again now: Can anyone confirm this? (Remember, it will likely be on a bridge display.)

Maybe you didn't do such a bad thing in starting this thread after all, Topher. [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there's one less thing I mucked up. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I payed pretty close attention to Sins of the Father (hence my question/post about the name of the captain of the Intrepid) and the only displays that they showed on screen...either close up or not were the following:

1) the Intrepids sensor log, listing the captain and some paragraphs regarding their scans

2) the screen comparing the transmission logs from Intrepid to that of the captured Romulan vessel that were off kilter

3) And finally, the search Crusher made on survivors of Khitomer that showed Kahlest as a result.

So it most certainly isnt from "Sins..." I'm still going through all the 3rd season eps yet, so I may come across it sooner or later (I'm poor so thats why Im so far behind on the DVD viewing) [Frown]

Otherwise yeah, I have the old Star Trek 30 Years Edition Magizine (from '96) that shows some old Okudagrams in it and it shows a bridge display but doesnt mention from where on it. Guess I didnt even notice it until I was thumbing through it the other day. [Cool]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor? Ha! You'd have to be rich to fork over $150 every time a new DVD set comes out. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
I payed pretty close attention to Sins of the Father ...

So it most certainly isnt from "Sins..."

I was the one in the original topic that saw it as early as "Sins of the Father". I caught it on television, so I don't have a DVD or anything to reference now, but I'm sure it was there. It was not given distinct screen time, Futurama Guy, it was just somthing on the Mission Ops console at the back of the bridge during other scenes.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It was not given distinct screen time, Futurama Guy, it was just somthing on the Mission Ops console at the back of the bridge during other scenes.

I guess I cant argue with something I can't see, like aliens, Santa, and the Easter Bunny. Though "The Defector" or "The Enemy" seem like likely candidates from that timeframe too that would have some sort of tactical display like that too considering the situations in the episodes(Haven't gotten that far yet in my journeys).

quote:
Poor? Ha! You'd have to be rich to fork over $150 every time a new DVD set comes out.
Whoa! $150? I suppose that is in Canadian though. So far I have gotten all of mine either second hand or new at a considerable discount...prolly paid under $200US for the first 3 seasons. [Big Grin] But then again, I only have the first 3 seasons. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] And season 4 new just went on Ebay for $59...

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any value in Canadian dollars will be larger than its equivalent in US dollars. CA$150 = US$98.44
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Holy crap, I did not know that...does this Canada also make its own money too, or do they just color US money with red and blue crayons and call it their own? Cuz I heard once that that is what they did, and thats how it loses its value....

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

What on Earth are you on about now? [Confused]
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

What I want to know is why Data served on the Trieste in the first place? Think about it, hes the most valuable form of intelligence in Starfleet and he served on some obscure vessel that probably wouldnt last long in any hazardous situation considering how little Data had to say positive about the ship in the 1010101010101 episode.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps that was the whole idea - to keep Data aboard some sort of a no-frills harbor tug so that he wouldn't venture to the Final Frontier and run into anything nasty. Or nastier than a wormhole anyway.

One wonders if Data really was thought to be that interesting in the end. The Starfleet and UFP efforts to study him appear halfhearted at best, and only look good in comparison with the even sorrier efforts to solve the mystery of his origin, the disappearance of Dr Soong and the destruction of the colony.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps