Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 3/03 STM Scanning Marathon Pt. 2: Designing the Enterprise-E (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 3/03 STM Scanning Marathon Pt. 2: Designing the Enterprise-E
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wonderful little look at Eaves' designing of the E-E for First Contact. Especially cool are all the sketches of the would-be Endeavour that I don't think we've seen before.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign1.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign2.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign3.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign4.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign5.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign6.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign7.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/646/E-Edesign8.jpg

Was anyone else aware that the ship was originally to have variable-geometry warp nacelles? [Eek!]

You've gotta love Berman's response to THAT one:
"We don't want ANY Voyager connotations!"

LOL [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We love you, Mim. [Smile]

With pylons a little meatier (not so slender from the sides), I would have loved the swept-forward design from the bottom left of the third page.

I just wish the article had answered the question which has long plagued me . . . what nitwit put the glowy-blue part on the top of the nacelle, instead of the sides? From the look of things, it was either Berman or the model builders, which would save Eaves a beating from me. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that the Voyager was such a crackerjack ship in design texture anyway. The model was much less majestic than the Galaxy class and then a year later the Sovereign comes out and it looks like it is built in a completely different style and texture. Granted, its probably the differences from CGI to a study model but Voyager appeared like it was the end of the Ambassador, Nebula, Galaxy style texture which made it look 'cheap' compared to how sleek the Sovereign, and Akira looked.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Especially cool are all the sketches of the would-be Endeavour that I don't think we've seen before.
I've definatly seen those before but not as Endeavour sketches, until now it's been said that there was only one sketch made of the Endeavour before it was dropped. Reading the explanation I can see where the mix up was, that must have been the only Endeavour sketch that Eaves didn't relable as Enterprise, sneeky little git.

quote:
Was anyone else aware that the ship was originally to have variable-geometry warp nacelles?
Yep, it's shown in the old "Makeing of First Contact" book that was around when the movie came out. I'm glad they didn't use it, Voyager's pylons never made much sense.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the hell do we need 'sleek' in the Starships!?!?! They're not flying in air or fluidic space.

Look at this line by Eaves:

"I definately wanted to have a sleeker looking-looking ship like the Excelsior, I wanted it to look like it could go real fast. To me the shapes on the D, looked almost like they wouldn't be able to handle that kind of speed. So I thought in an architectural sense, the needed to be longer and a lot more streamlined."

I mean did this guy do ANY research into his design? Gah. Why do they keep using him?

"Even though it looks smaller than the Enterprise D, it's actually a longer ship."

'My cat's breath smells like cat food'

I like page 3's design. It has a nice balance between the E-D and the Voyager and includes it's own character. The final design is TOO alien from what has gone before

RE Surface textures: "I always thought the A was just beautiful. That's kind of how the E was done as well."

Yeah, except you failed miserably. I hate those litte off-colour squares here and there - if they are trying to recreate the E-refit look - they didn't succeed. If they were trying to creat the panelling of the E-D - they failed.

Nemesis speculation/spoilers:

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

p

a

c

e

The saucer seperation was really good - and THAT is something they should have used in Nemesis. Would have given Riker a place to go and leaving Deanna on the bridge - and taking Beverly maybe over there. Leaving Worf to take on the Viceroy - with some better fighting through the ships - with Worf barking orders to security 'troops.' Maybe even both falling into the 'abyss'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one like the work that Eaves does. Even though, speaking from a technical view, ships don't really need to be shaped in a particularly sleek way to fly in space, the shape does affect a viewer's PERCEPTION of the ship and its capabilities. Like Eaves said, the Galaxy-class doesn't LOOK like a fast ship, even though that's just a perception of the audience. Your ship's got to have some CHARACTER when you're speaking in terms of entertainment and drama. If you want the audience to believe a ship is a fast and powerful craft, then make it look like one, even if the science behind it isn't exactly spot-on.

I like the E-E a lot. I also like the Akira and most of the other ships Eaves has designed. (Not the Jemmie ships though. They never grew on me.)

To each his own, though.
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Why the hell do we need 'sleek' in the Starships!?!?! They're not flying in air or fluidic space.

No...but there IS proabably a form of drag in warp, otherwise everything would just be a big brick. There IS even drag in space--it's not a comPLETE vacuum, y'know.

And I always preferred the design stage directly before "cleaning up" into the approved version; that is, the one show at the bottom of page 4. I prefer the blended hulls, the curves, the way the neck scoop hides a bit of the ventral saucer launcer, the folds of the secondary hull, the nacelle design, the central impulse deck & double-sided shuttle & cargo bays. Very neet.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

No...but there IS proabably a form of drag in warp, otherwise everything would just be a big brick. There IS even drag in space--it's not a comPLETE vacuum, y'know.
The Borg dont seem to have a problem flying around in their bricks...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure the Borg have enough power to make sure the bricks don't hit a "wall."

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drag is irrelevant.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There IS even drag in space--it's not a comPLETE vacuum, y'know."

That's where deflectors come in. As far as starship designs go, bricks are more sensible than pencils and discs.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
I'm sure the Borg have enough power to make sure the bricks don't hit a "wall."

In the Borg's case, I'd guess that they've just got such unlimited(?) power that the benefits of a streamlined design are irrelevant.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, to sum John Eaves approach, he doesn't try to rationalize or extrapolate designs - he just makes up some shapes and then throws around details while trying to "pay homage" to other shapes he saw earlier and liked.
While I see some similarities to the Excelsior, I was very suprised that those weird hull armor was supposed to be 'homage' to the Enterprise-A armor.

Which is sad, because some of his work look sensible enough in early stages of work, and then proceed to become more and more weird. To provide another example, proto-Valdore visible on sketches looked even sensiblem sorta like fighter variant of Warbird, however the final version become incredibly stretched... [Frown]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eaves' designs tend to look very much the same. Take for example his sketches for the Ent-E interiors and the NX-01 interiors. Apart from Okudagrams, they are almost identical.

The most ridiculous design feature as described in this article are the NCC-1701 triangles on the ventral saucer. Instead of thinking what they are, he has to find out afterwards that they're landing legs.

Nothing personal against Eaves, and he's probably a good designer in general. But he sure can't beat Sternbach at designing Trek ships. I mean, just compare the Ent-E article to the Prometheus article! Sternbach starts thinking about engineering and fitting into Starfleets history even before he draws a single thing. All Eaves thinks about is how to make his ships look FAST AND SLEEK!1!!!. Oh well. That's enough ranting for now. Perhaps we were just spoiled by Sternbach [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
There IS even drag in space--it's not a comPLETE vacuum, y'know.

Reminds me of a short story I read, can't remember the title or author. A colony ship of frozen pioneers reaches some nearby star (Tau Ceti?) after centuries of travel to find that there's already a thriving human civilization that colonized the system with speedy new ships a few decades after the slowship left. The pioneers see a streamlined starship docked at a space station and ask one of the locals if it's sleek and dart-like purely for aesthetics, because a ship would have to move insanely fast and near the speed of light for aerodynamics to be a factor in near-vacuum. The local simply replied, "They're that fast." [Smile]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps