Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 3/03 STM Scanning Marathon Pt. 2: Designing the Enterprise-E (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 3/03 STM Scanning Marathon Pt. 2: Designing the Enterprise-E
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
There IS even drag in space--it's not a comPLETE vacuum, y'know.

Reminds me of a short story I read...The pioneers see a streamlined starship docked at a space station and ask one of the locals if it's sleek and dart-like purely for aesthetics, because a ship would have to move insanely fast and near the speed of light for aerodynamics to be a factor in near-vacuum. The local simply replied, "They're that fast." [Smile]
The number of stray hyrdogen atoms in the interstellar medium is infinitesimal. On the other hand, at high relativistic speeds the energy released by colliding even with a dust particle is pretty extreme (I've read somewhere that hitting an object with one gram of mass at high sublight speeds would release energy on the scale of a nuclear weapon). If that's so, streamlining wouldn't help, because a hit is a hit. That's what the navigational deflectors are for...to make sure there's nothing to run into.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I read a similar story, but it was quite an old one - probably Poul Anderson I think - and the crew was quite small. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Nothing personal against Eaves, and he's probably a good designer in general. But he sure can't beat Sternbach at designing Trek ships. I mean, just compare the Ent-E article to the Prometheus article! Sternbach starts thinking about engineering and fitting into Starfleets history even before he draws a single thing. All Eaves thinks about is how to make his ships look FAST AND SLEEK!1!!!. Oh well. That's enough ranting for now. Perhaps we were just spoiled by Sternbach [Smile]

I know I'm in the minority but I personally think Eaves is a far better illustrator/designer than Sternbach. Sternbach is very, very good on the practicality side of things but I feel that his designs are excruciatingly bland. I can't help but think that Sternbach is far better suited to blueprinting than he is to actually designing.

A common complaint of Eaves is that his designs are too much alike. That's all well and good, but the same thing can easily be said of all the illustrators that have ever worked in the franchise. It's not that hard to tell which ships are designed by who.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sternbach is far better suited to blueprinting than he is to actually designing.

Agreed. But it's just that I like blueprinting better than designing [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Prometheus is the most gorgeous ship in the history of the universe! Anyone who can design that is a god in my opinion. [Smile]

(If only it had the right number on the hull... but we can't have everything I suppose)

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Sternbach ships just make more sense to me. Eaves may be superior illustrator, but...
Sternbach design may share some common things, but Eaves designs share more than that - they share whole elements (like those familiar-looking nacelles on Romulan BoP)

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the similarity of Eaves' alien ships nacelles is a big problem but, as an example, it's not all that different to how the Galor-class looks like a backwards Vor'cha-class.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, I remember that someone have made a Cardassian ship from inverted Vor'cha hull [Smile]

Anyway... Out of curiosity, could someone tell me who designed Vor'cha and Galor?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Sternbach

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why the hell do we need 'sleek' in the Starships!?!?! They're not flying in air or fluidic space.
Cause Sleek Starships look way cooler.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
But the Prometheus is the most gorgeous ship in the history of the universe! Anyone who can design that is a god in my opinion. [Smile]

I don't know, like most of Sternbach's ships it suffered from Stumpy Nacelle Syndrome [SUP]TM[/SUP]. Something that Eaves's ships thankfully lack.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Eaves' ships all suffer from Pointlessly Pointy Nacelle Syndrome. At the unvealing of another of his designs children around the world are heard crying "mummy, why does that ship have a pointy thing?"

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.