Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 14)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we haven't seen production sketches of Tholians by now, we will never, ever see them. Because they don't exist.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Says in the Encyclopedia Deux that the few shots on the Enterprise main viewer which the above photo is from used visual effects and a puppet designed by Mike Minor which was the facted head (or helmet) of Commander Loskene.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
d'oh

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always miss the start of the tholian web. Did Loskene move at all? Did his mouth move? If that is a mouth/beak.

If the purple-y colour is the 'wall' behind him... that pattern seems to go through him (I.e. can we see through him - is he translucent?)

Also is that a seperation between the head/helmet and the rest of the body/uniform? Or a crease/facet.

Andrew

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The freaky colors could have been a result of poor reception on the Enterprise's part (lots of hard rads on the Tholian ships IIRC. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't radioactive. It was just very hot.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Did the puppet move or did it's mouth/beak move/line move?

Also if they prefer such heat you can infer things about their homeworld... What was the temperature? Was it hot enough that liquid water couldn't exist on the surface of the planet?

Could they be silicon based or another element-based life forms? Nitrogen based?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It wasn't radioactive. It was just very hot."

Well, heat is radiation, technically...

And I don't think the puppet demonstrated any articulated parts, but I could be wrong. I think I only ever saw the episode once.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but, to get all crazy lingual, radioactive does not (at least, according to a free online dictionary, and I suppose information is worth what you pay for it) simply mean "radiating energy," but rather the specific kind of energy associated with atomic decay!
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TSN Well, heat is radiation, technically...

Not quite, unless you mean infrared/thermal energy/radiation.

Quick definitions:

The astronomical definition of radiation is a form of energy transport consisting of electromagnetic waves traveling at the speed of light.

The biological definition of radiation, as well as conduction, and convection are all processes in which an object gains or loses heat, or in other words, the way heat travels from or through one object to another. So technically it isn't heat, its the tranportation of heat...

OR

Radiation is when an object gains heat through exposure to intense radiant energy or to any surface that is warmer than its own surface temperature.

Conduction is a direct transfer of heat between two objects in contact with each other.

Convection requires moving air or water to transfer heat, involving the process of conduction.

[NOTE - this has been heavily modified because this was getting too severely complicated to explain in a manner fitting to the above posts.]

[ March 15, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
AndrewR
Did the puppet move or did it's mouth/beak move/line move?
Also if they prefer such heat you can infer things about their homeworld... What was the temperature? Was it hot enough that liquid water couldn't exist on the surface of the planet?

The puppet moved very slightly...like from side to side, but barely noticable.

Also, I believe that it was stated that the Tholian ship in Enterprise has an internal temperature in excess or at least 200� but not in a specified heat measurement system (�F, �C, K).

If it was 200�C, which is 2x boiling, then water would not exist in liquid form on their homeworld (as it would be evaporated).

If it was 200�F or 93�C then it is possible that water exists on their homeworld, but extremely near to boiling (212�F = boiling).

If it was 200K (or -73�C or -100�F) then everything would be frozen, which does not seem to fit what we allready know about the Tholians.

[ March 15, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Futurama Guy ]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Almost certainly centigrade.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

And in the fine Flare tradition of nitpickery, it really shouldn't be �K, but just K.

The internet is crazy useful.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

What on Earth are you talking about??  -

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Almost certainly centigrade.

Hmm, I wonder what keeps tholian silk from not burning up/melting. This also suggests that in order for them to be in a "normal" human tolerable environment like the tholian ambassador visiting DS9, for example, they would need to wear some type of environmental suit, like the Breen.

--------------------

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps