Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tholians! (Page 9)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Tholians!
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh Ohhh...I wanna play!!

....and not only was Tuvok, Tuvix...but he was also: Tumek, Tumak, Trajok, Trag'tok, Tovin, Torat, Toran, Toral, Tora Ziyal, Tomar, Tomin, Toman'torax, Thopok, Terek, Telak, Telaka, Tebok, Taris, Tanis, Tamar, Tamal, Talar, Takar, Sybok, Sutok, Surat, Surak, Spock, Sovak, Sovol, Soran, Soral, Sorad, Sopek, Solok, Sitak, Satok, Sarek, Sakar, Saavik, Vorik, Vorin, Vinod, Vinka, Verin, Verad, Varel, Rakal, Rekar, Renar, Revok, Kaval, Kavel, Klavek, Koral, Koran, Korax, Korob, Korok, Koval, Kovat, Kovin, Kurak..and many many more names that can be made from: The Writers Guide to the 13 Letters of the Star Trek Alien Alphabet.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man! That actor has some range!
....good makeup too!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*plonks Jason and FG*
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys? You're showing your newbie-ish-ness... [Roll Eyes]

The Tzenthkethi was indeed an anagram for "The Kznti" (the 'i'-less spelling is a was used in some publications such as Star Trek Maps)that was used by the production staff of DS9 because they couldn't use the actual name.

It's really too bad that the legal kinks of the situation are too scary for Paramount to deal with, as I've always heard that Niven has stated he has no objection to the Kzin being used on Star Trek. But that's just hearsay, I guess.

I've considered writing some fanfic about Trek's version of the Earth-Kzin wars, even drew some concept sketches of spacecraft, etc. Maybe one of these days I'll dig that project up again for Ex-Astis-Scientia or something...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if "newbie-ish-ness..." means "sarcastic" and "sarcastic" means "good job pointing out that wonderful collection of Tuvok-wannabes", then I am guilty as charged.... [Smile]

--------------------

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's that info on Pocket Books and Trek novel contracts. It's taken from Margaret Wander Bonanno's website, here.
quote:
Usually when a writer sells a novel to a publishing company, the copyright is issued in the writer's name. In other words, while the writer has given the publisher the right to publish the book, the words themselves still belong to the writer. Those words cannot be changed by anyone without the writer's permission.

Under a work-for-hire contract, the words belong to someone else. In the case of Star Trek novels, they belong to the movie studio which leases the rights to a publishing company, which allows a writer to borrow the characters and the settings from their very successful "property" - i.e., a certain TV/film series of our acquaintance - in order to write a novel. Once the novel is finished, the writer not only has to put the characters back where she found them, but the words she has written no longer belong to her, but to the movie company.

And on Diane Duane's FAQ page:
quote:
Can I use your characters?
If it's Trek characters you mean, then the only answer is, they're not ours. Everything in a Trek novel is "work for hire", which means it belongs to Paramount Pictures, lock, stock and barrel: check the copyright notice. No matter that a given writer creates the characters: Paramount owns them...and permission to use is therefore not the writer's to give. But thanks for the thought... [Smile]

So that's from whence I derive the train of thought that Paramount could, if they wished, do a story with the Hamalki, or John Ford's Klingons, or any other literary race.

As for the Gorn... well, I think they'd be a better adversary with modern costume/makeup and effects technology. I gather the poor guy in "Arena" was running around the California desert in a rubber wetsuit, hence the stiff gait.

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good documentation of facts there.
...and MMOM, if i'm a newbie at over 500 posts then I doubt I'll ever be a veteran in this decade. [Wink]
Face facts: humanoid cat creatures in pink jumpsuits should not be incorperated into Trek.
Ever.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Unless they're female. Mrowl.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kzinti admittedly suffered from one thing: a low budget. I'll try to source it later, but as I recall, the animators wanted to make them distinct from anything else on the show. Thus, they were given shades of pink and purple as their primary equipment and costume tones because that's pretty much all that was available (ditto for the tribbles, I think - easier and cheaper to paint 'em all pink than have so many different shades); they also lost some distinctive colour patterns in their fur.

As with the live-action episodes "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "Arena", "The Slaver Weapon" borrowed from other popular sci-fi. However, unlike the Robert Heinlein and Frederic Brown stories used as the basis for the TOS shows (which were authorised by the writers in question), Larry Niven brought his own creations across. I often think it's a pity he didn't get the chance to produce followup episodes - imagine what Trek would be like with the Kzinti running around, or a ringworld... (and I think one of those exists on the 1980 Star Trek Maps, too!)

As I recall, the Kzinti remained strong in fandom, despite the apparent "decanonisation" of TAS, and are still featured in the Starfleet Battles line of gaming products.

Can anyone add anything to this..?

--------------------

Starbuck
Member # 153

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
...Unless they're female. Mrowl.

Are we talking Lt. M'Ress types here, or the three-breasted table dancer cat lady from The Final Frontier? [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FG and Jason:
My comment was itself a sarcastic one. By "newbie-ish-ness" I meant (in fun, of course, not seriously) your apparent ignorance of the facts behind Spikey's statement. (Namely, the behind-the-scenes story that I illuminated.) [Razz]

Starbuck:
About the Gorn, I was referring to the fact that "Arena" made it quite clear that the Cestus III attack was the first contact the Federation had made with them. Therefore, they are not suitable candidates to appear on Enterprise.

I seem to remember hearing that whoever did the colors on the Kzinti suits and ships for TAS was color blind, and thought that they were going to appear grey rather than pink. Don't know if that's really true, though.

Mark's post reminds me also that it might be cool to see Caitians on ENT. [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

This conversation sure has deviated from tholians, ships and technology....

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

From Ex Astris Scientia:
Remarkable background fact: Pink is a color routinely used in animation, but was certainly not fitting for the Kzinti uniform and their ship. Being color-blind, director Hal Sutherland failed to notice that until it was too late.

Anybody now what the Kznti ship from TAS looked like? The one from Starfleet Battles is total ass.

Mabye the Tholians wiped out the Kzinti (as I deftly drag the topic, kicking and screaming, back to Tholians). [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

For all the best in Kzinti Police Vessels, go here, you'll be impressed, I promise! [Smile]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"humanoid cat creatures in pink jumpsuits should not be incorperated into Trek"

*pictures the Kilrathi in bright pink military outfits*

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps