Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise NCC-1701 Weapons (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise NCC-1701 Weapons
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and I don't think [Voyager's] Engineering [bridge station] had someone in it all the time."

Bear in mind that neither did the E-D's.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those lazy bastards. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is sort of my point, however, Tim. I'm just trying to point out that Voyager featured a more compact bridge in terms of features than the Enterprise D, but not one so compact as that of the Enterprise Naught.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, there should be two forward helm stations. There's no real logic to why I should feel this way, I just do. Even if it had been the Tactical station up there next to the helm. ENT fans can discount my opinion as mere Berman-hating if they wish, but I just feel that the main reasons there's only one station are a) the resulting need for two cast members - which could be corrected by just putting one of the other main-castmember bridge stations up front; and b) design laziness: appealing to those more familiar with the Defiant and Voyager bridges.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
true, the cost of an extra or actor to sit in that seat on the 1701 and the 1701-D did seem to get cumbersome (after Wesley and Ro left, it even got a little violent.. the producers were so pissed at constantly having to pay an extra that they routinely gruesomely killed that person during the course of the show)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the design of the bridge was intended to catch the interest of casual fans, that would seem to be an argument for a dual forward console, not against it. I rather doubt the bridge of the Defiant takes up much space in the memory of the general audience.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, VP . . . if for no other reason than the fact that Archer has to look around Travis to see anything nifty on the viewscreen, as suggested by Mim's scans of bridge pics.

If I were captain, I'd either have the guy move or replace him with the descendants of horse-racing jockeys.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design philosophies of Trek bridges differ a lot despite the surface similarities. In "modern" bridges, it seems to be important that everybody sees the viewer and/or the captain. In TOS, people concentrated more on their consoles, and the captain had this swiveling chair so that HE could see everybody ELSE.

Which makes more sense? Everybody facing front and gaping at the viewscreen means they aren't concentrating on their own, presumably important consoles. OTOH, if they all face away from the captain, then he mostly gets to speak to their necks, and cannot deliver any nonverbal cues.

If people face every which way in a maneuvering starship, they get motion sickness (at least until somebody finally invents an inertial dampener that actually works right). If they face front, they get dangerous "tunnel vision" complacency in a demanding 3D environment.

Perhaps the Jem'Hadar had the right idea. People standing every which way and wearing VR goggles when needed would have a good grip of the 3D situation. Info feed wouldn't depend on where they faced. Just add some seats and seatbelts (which the ship in "The Ship" seemed to have, before Starfleet for some reason removed them) and you get good functionality.

Timo Saloniemi

Anduril
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, you still have to account for the amidships phasers that are mentioned in BoT.

I could pull the dvd out but did he not also mention port and starboard when he was going thru their ready status?

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps