Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Model in TNG Tapestry (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Model in TNG Tapestry
Captain Cabac
Member # 354

- posted      Profile for Captain Cabac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
is not the "Discovery" from "2001: a space odyssey".

-

The right is a flying wings from USA the "B-2 Spirit".

The left?????

--------------------
Thomas Schmid
"Captain Cabac"
Webmaster Neutral Zone
E-Mail: [email protected]
Neutral Zone http://www.NeutralZone.de
Starship Database http://www.NeutralZone.de/database/

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first model ship also appears in TNG First Contact.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is not the "Discovery" from "2001: a space odyssey".

LOL sure does look like it 2 me [Frown] but that was my first guess. Second guess would be some sore of relay station or starbase

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was the sonic plunger he used to beat wesley with.....until Beverly arranged his little "acciadent". [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging from the shadow, I think it's F-19.
You know, from that old Microprose game, "F-19 Stealth Fighter".
God, I loved that game. I once managed to land safely without any fuel left [Cool]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know of any fighter with inward-slanted tail fins, so I suppose it could be the Tester Corporation's plastic model of the F-19, making a stealthy cameo appearance... or a dimensionally warped SR-71 silhouette.

[ February 20, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first certainly isn't the Discovery. the long body appears to be merely framework, unlike the Discovery's large triangular cooling vents that ran along the spine. Also there's no comm dish in the center of the spine, and whatever those bits are at the end of the spine aren't on Discovery.

My guess would be something from the early 21st century, but with the Daedalus in mind.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, triangular cooling fins? Those were omitted from the Discovery model early on, on grounds of silliness. I believe the study model that had the wings (as per Clarke's original concept) did not survive.

Certainly this model is an homage to the Discovery, but probably no more than that. AFAIK, it was specifically created for "First Contact" the TNG episode, where it was to be a very primitive warpship - so the modelmaker obviously liked to make a connection to a famous primitive Earth space vessel.

As for the aircraft silhouette... A "Starbase Earhart" would be a perfect place to display historical Earth aircraft, of course. So it's very likely that the prop people indeed dug out whatever model aircraft they had lying around, perhaps spraypainted them, and mounted them on pedestals everywhere. We could be looking at a model of Firefox for all we know.

Timo Saloniemi

Anti Spark
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What i think your looking at is,.....

What Discovery was going to look like but Changes where made in the movie and model of discovery.

The original ship had fins to radiate the radiation from the engines, Something like that.

If you watch the making of 2001 they got pics of this model.

I'm not saying Im right, It just looks like it so much.

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess fins was the wrong word. I was talking about the triangular structures that are along the spine of Discovery. There's three per section, about a dozen sections along the length. If I remember correctly, at least as described in the book, they had some use that was connected with the reactor with the back, I merely thought it was something to do with cooling.

-

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right. I have heard them called fuel tanks at times...

The person who built the "First Contact" model probably had access to some sort of a Discovery kit (or an Aries kit, for that matter, since the bow sphere doesn't seem completely Discovery-like), and might have only partially built it and then added extra parts like the warp nacelles. In any case, the model and the computer rendering thereof were a plot point and rather prominently shown in the episode, and were thus probably built with greater care than most Trek tabletop decorations.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F-19! About the only computer game I was ever good at! Well, that and "Sword of the Samurai." 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one of those Orange Blacklight F-19 Models. Man, that shit was groovy.
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is another possibility for the first ship. This ship could be based on a ship seen in a Space 1999 episode titled "Alpha Child". The sphere of the command section is closer to the design of the alien ship in that episode than the Discovery of 2001.
Captain Cabac
Member # 354

- posted      Profile for Captain Cabac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alpha Child Space 1999
 -

F-19 Stealth Fighter
 -

SR-71 Blackbird
 -

New Picture from the left model.
 -

--------------------
Thomas Schmid
"Captain Cabac"
Webmaster Neutral Zone
E-Mail: [email protected]
Neutral Zone http://www.NeutralZone.de
Starship Database http://www.NeutralZone.de/database/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps