Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ($$ Nem $$) Shields, Ramming, and the Scimitar

Author Topic: ($$ Nem $$) Shields, Ramming, and the Scimitar
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . a look at the ramming events of Trek and Nemesis in particular:

www.st-v-sw.net/STSWstnemram.html

All comments, questions, gripes, etc. are welcome. Thanks!

G2k

(Edit: Changed the title to include a spoilers warning . . . but really, the movie's opened and closed almost everywhere by now, and all the cool kids saw it. [Smile] )

[ February 22, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Guardian 2000 ]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it might seem obvious because of the title, but I know someone's going to yell soon anyway, so I might as well put some space.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Wow, I never realized that right before they rammed the Scimitar, LaForge had noted that Shinzon still had 70% shields...just another inconsistency, I guess...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to point out that between the time Voyager dissappeared in 2371 and Nemesis, that the Federation switched from the bubble shield system to the spandex shield system. The movie showed this clearly when the closeup of the Enterprise-E shield monitor was shown and the lines followed the curves of the ship... a nice homeage to the ST 2 scene when Khan's shields went down thanks to Kirk.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. That ramming sequence shouldn't have been put into the preview.

2. Why'd they ram it where they did? Space is 3d - they should have turned 90 degrees so the width of the saucer cut down the middle of the Scimitar.

3. The vast size of the Scimitar wasn't really made clear.

4. Again - as it is with cgi there are too many 'fast editing' shots. Nothing to let your eye focus on. These are huge vessels - and to get that point across they should move somewhat slowly.

5. Why didn't they try aiming their ram at the bridge/engines? they just seem to destroy a lot of cargobays/fighter bays.

6. Why'd the Scimitar look like the Jemmie cruiser?

7. What's with the glowing eyes?

8. What's with the voice?

opps sorry wrong series [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Why'd the Scimitar look like the Jemmie cruiser?

Agreed that it does look overtly Jem'hadar cruiserish. The Scimitar wings also reminded me of the Klingon BoP in attack mode, and the ventral weapons are reminiscent of the pods added to the bottom of the Negh'var.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two words baby:
John Eaves.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now off you go right this minute and wash your mouth out, young man!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm putting stupid spoilers on this one.....

S
T
U
P
I
D

I
D
E
A

O
F

T
H
E

W
E
E
K

Could it be that Shinzon in one of his military endeavors captured a JH battleship and converted it. I find it highly unlikely that someone or somegroup of a slave caste could possibly build such a vessel under the noses of the Romulans/Tal Shiar. If they already had the hulk of a Jemmie ship and some Warbird technology..volia!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He had Romulan backing . . . presumably he had Romulan assistance with his flagship (though one wonders where they're hiding their own Scimitars (minus the deathray)).

On the other hand, the parallel Terek Nor's humans managed to build a Defiant, so the hard part in any case was probably designing the Scimitar . . . in which case liberally borrowing from the Jem'Hadar (or anyone else) makes some sense, especially if you're trying to get away from being too Romulan.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...the Remans could have captured a Jemmie Battleship under construction- something with only the massive power plant and initial superstructure completed- during the final days of the war when the Dominion forces were withdrawling to Cardassian space.
There must have been quite a few technology secrets seized by the major alpha powers in the Dominion's hasty withdrawl.
It's not like there would have been time to destroy a battleship massing several million tons while their shipyard was being overrun by Romulan/Reman forces.

....or Shinzon got it free in his "Take over the Empire" Happy Meal.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the Scimitar has Jem'hadar-ish design elements, it's not all that similar to any of the known individual designs. For one thing, it's way smaller than a Jemmy Battleship yet much bigger than a Jemmy Battlecruiser.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps