Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship deck plans (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship deck plans
Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Disregarding the silly fandom "Achernar" and "Bonhomme Richard" subclass ideas, Kazeite is quite correct in pointing out that the plans represent the U.S.S. Constitution, the prototype of the class, and it is very reasonable to assume any discrepancies with other individual ships (such as the Enterprise) are simply that---individual variances in the design of individual ships.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Actually, I like the subclass idea. So long as it's made clear that they're all still Constitution class, the subclass idea makes sense. It's easier to remember and discuss than the real-life version. For example, Arleigh Burke class DDGs are known as Flight I, Flight II, and Flight IIAlfa to show the various versions built. Constitution, BHR, Achernar, etc are easier to remember and make a more complete mental picture.

edit: going back to the real world, there are examples of sub-classes with different names.
1) Kidd class destroyers. Four ships built for the Shah of Iran, to high end Spruance specs, with added air filtration. When turned over to the Navy, instead of delivering them to Khomeini, they were named Kidd class, not added to the rolls of Spruances.

2) YF-12A, A-12, SR-71 were all differnt. Only the SR-71 saw production, and therefore got a name, but each had different designations, so may have received different names if they had been produced (one of LBJ's many fucked up decisions, IMO).

[ February 25, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Darkwing ]

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Let's use this thread for something else (you might want to move this to the Tech forum).

Deck 4
- I never thought about water tanks, actually. But you would need have a lot of water for 400+ people... Does the TNGTM mention anything water?

But what's up with all those "Personal Isolation Cells" placed in every unused corner?

Deck 8
- Gardens? I bet that space could be used for something a bit more useful.

Oh, and wasn't there a very primitive holodeck-like room in TAS somewhere?

Gardens would be an absolute necessity in a starship, simply to provide a sanity-helping touch of green.

Personal isolation cells would be one way to give folks some privacy, although the Enterprise does provide far more personal space than any real world military ship.

Yes, TAS had a holo rec room. It wasn't supposed to be solid, but temperature controls allowed a snowstorm in one ep. In one of the Foster adaptations, IIRC, I think mention was made of a fencing robot draped in a hologram of a fencer for Sulu to spar with.

Water tankage makes sense to me, but I think the TNGTM simply assumes the replicators take care of that.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another oddity I found on both the general plans and the TM. There's no science station on the bridge [Confused] . It's called the Command Intelligence station or somesuch militaristic nonsense.

Oh and "Personal Isolation Room" sounded like a brig to me... or else something I'd rather not think about.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...fori..."

Fora.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd have to have water tankage - even if only as a buffer for the recycling systems.

In the event of computer/replicator failure, you'd be SOL - emergency supplies be damned.

Also, it is enormously more energy efficient to filter/process used H2O than to dematerialize it and replicate more.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNGTM does mention fresh water tanks somewhere.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders if D2O could be used instead. Oxidizing some of the ship's fuel could be a relatively simple and robust way to provide water.

The USS Constitution blueprints indeed have minimal space dedicated to engines and weapon systems, which makes them look downright silly. One could perhaps say that NCC-1700 was not a fully operational starship but instead a very lightly armed and underpowered one, testing the spaceframe for later ships that carried heavier gear. Instead of (or in addition to) the dinky little torp throwers below the bridge, NCC-1701 would have a more TNG-sized primary launcher or three at the canonical place, etc.

Timo Saloniemi

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
The USS Constitution blueprints indeed have minimal space dedicated to engines and weapon systems, which makes them look downright silly. One could perhaps say that NCC-1700 was not a fully operational starship but instead a very lightly armed and underpowered one, testing the spaceframe for later ships that carried heavier gear.

Or perhaps it's a combination of two things: first, that Franz Joseph overestimated how advanced TOS's technology was, and went a bit overboard with the miniaturization; and second, that TNG was designed with a 20th century audience in mind, so everything's a bit bulkier than it might be just so the audience can relate to it - and thus, tiny phaser arrays and warp engines that use minute quantities of fuel got retconned out of existance.

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps