Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$-ENT-$$ Get ready to flashback (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$-ENT-$$ Get ready to flashback
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trektoday.com/news/010303_01.shtml

Smells like Voyager, but no doubt an episode with lots of new trivia. Here's a few starters:

- Captain Jefferies. That's cute [Smile]
- The ship is called NX-Beta (NX-B?). It works, but why did they screw up their new class/registry system with that Neptune class then?
- Looks like we get to see some older ships. I wonder...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Burton at them helm it can't go too far wrong, he usually directs pretty solid episodes.

I assume these older test ships will be much smaller than Enterprise, more like the Phoenix with it's very basic structure.
Indeed the mention of a hanger seams to imply exactly that.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It episode sound promising, but I wonder how they'll fit the NX-01 into the story. If the two test vehicles are indeed single-piloted crafts, and all of this happens just some years prior to Broken Bow, How can Starfleet build the NX-01 that fast? Or was the ship ment to be just another earth vessel until the warp-5-engine-tests succeeded and starfleet decided to include the new engines during Enterprise's construction? (And could the ship from the intro be the test vehicle??? [Eek!] )
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is Archer Seniors birthday, or an anniversary of one thing or another for the Warp 5 engine or the Enterprise - you know, something to reminisce about.

Was the "Warp 5 Complex" just a goal of Archer when it was created, or was there already practical plans made for the engine? In which case, why wasnt it the "Warp 6 Complex" or "Warp 9 Complex", how was it chosen to be Warp 5? If so maybe it was something that actually controllable or foreseeable at the time? As it was mentioned in the pilot...the plans seemed to be in place before the design of the actual ship it was placed in, indicating that perhaps they needed to design a special vehicle specific to the design of the Warp 5 engine, and not just any ole' ship hulk? Finally, wouldnt it be nice to see what Enterprise is up against as far as other Starfleet vessels of the era, just to give the viewer a true taste of how special Enterprise may, or maynot be?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Warp 5 Complex was the last of the Warp Complex Installations. It was... A port of call--"

[thwap]

Regarding the "NX-B" designation, this could be a prelim test flight article a la space shuttle Enterprise. Smaller, but mounting the same engine, to test it out while NX-01 was being built. THis may also allow the producers to use lots of the same props and sets.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the writers will take this opportunity to make some real sense of the reasons why the Warp 5 Engine is so special. Dare I say... a prototype matter/antimatter reactor?

Yeah yeah, like the writers could ever have as much sense as Masao. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to TrekToday, we'll see Commodore Forrest in the flashback scenes. [Smile]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And apparently, the NX-� is special because it's going to break the Warp Two barrier. Say what? [Eek!]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that could be interesting. Clearly, the people involved must be aware that everybody else is already going faster than warp 2. So finally we get a situation where our heroes boldly go where others have gone before.

Do they feel inferior? Proud of growing up? Certain of a manifest destiny where they will outpace everybody else? Desperate that time is running short for catching up with the competition?

Do we witness Vulcans in the act of hindering Earthling efforts? Do we in fact get hints that this is not what happened at all? What are the greater politics behind the warp drive development program?

Interesting things could grow out of this, even if none of them are central themes in the episode.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NX-B could be the ship shown from behind in the opening credits. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does have a saucer section - or at least a circular front - I've been analysing pictures of it.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Spoilers]

I'm more excited to hear that we'll get to see more Starfleet ships in the season finale, "The Expanse". Sources say those are ships only capable of warp 2, so I wonder if we'll see the Beta reused or a brand new Starfleet shipclass.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

The impression I got from the TrekToday reports is that the NX-� is just a small, one- or two-man prototype, not a regular starship at all.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPEAKING of Commodore...I was watching the news about a week or 2 ago when they rescued those Iraqi fishermen off the coast of Iraq. The group commander they talked with in the Gulf identified himself as a commodore.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The group commander they talked with in the Gulf identified himself as a commodore.
Was he British?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.