Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Class (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Akira Class
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
I'll go with that one... Thirty meters isn't any more "plausible" or "supported" than twelve. Still, I'd like something a bit larger than half a runabout, even if the models were built like that. A shot of Cal Hudson behind the windshield? Where and when, exactly? Was he built into the model (like Kira into the Defiant shuttlepod), or composited there afterwards, or what?

It is a composited shot of Cal and friend in the front viewport of the courier, however, the composite is of Cal in the TNG Shuttlepod set as that was the basis for the Maquis model. The window was enlarged, and the side windows were covered up with Okudagrams. So it's 12m or so for the length of that courier.

They did the same thing when they retrofitted The larger Maquis ship for "Caretaker". The interior set with Chakotay and B'Elanna was the runabout set and the exterior of the Maquis model was altered accordingly (including the Runabout double windows) so the size of that ship can also be directly determined. The Ju'Day Class is 33.7m long.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, if I'm not mistaken, I created an analysis of the Peregrine and the Type-15 way back in August 2002... but my idea was shot down. [Razz]

IIRC, my conclusion there was that the Peregrine was about 15 meters long. If we go with the enlarged window, that could even be increased a little bit.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where has it been comfirmed that the above is a Peregrine Class???

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okuda? Or someone else who worked on DS9.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the interceptor-thing is 15 meters long and carries a crew of two shoulder-to-shoulder, then it makes even less sense to call her a "courier" than it did when she was 30+ meters long.

Sure, a courier could be a tiny craft designed to carry coded isolinear chips in a fist-sized neutronium safe. But it would be much more satisfactory to assign the courier designation to a vessel that could plausibly carry bulkier priority shipments, VIP passengers and the like.

The lower size range would be the craft flown by Lieutenant Ro in "Preemptive Strike" - with a roomy multicompartment cabin redressed from the TNG "alien shuttle" set. In fact, this design would be a perfect choice for the Peregrine class, since she looks as if she could be flown solo, could land on class M planets, and is a known Maquis vehicle that looks like ex-Starfleet hardware (by virtue of looking like the Ju'day, which has Starfleetish interiors).

Of course, Bernd is going to have a fit if I insist that she's smaller than the Ju'day class despite sharing most of the hull shape. Still, the window-matching trick would support this two-size theory, even though the VFX is so ambiguous that no size difference can be inferred from there.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have any good screencaps from Preemptive Strike?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i doubt anyone connected with the show has ever referred to that as a peregrine..
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refer to it a "sleepy weasel" class.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To toss my 2 cents, IMHO Akira does have at least 14 torpedo launchers. [Smile]

There was a Akira pic in Starship Spotter and following launchers were visible:

2 pairs on the saucer - 4

5 in back on weapons pod - 9

Also in FC Akira presented 4 more launchers in weapons pod, facing forward, and one single multi-fire launcher on the underside of the saucer, in front of deflector dish.

So, that's 14. And I think it's not a big stretch of imagination to assume that there's backward facing launcher in the saucer as well, which gives us 'requied' 15 launchers [Smile]

What I think is that those clustered lauchers are in fact single-fire only, as witnessed in FC.

If we were to remove those clustered launchers Akira would be left with only two multi-fire launchers - a perfectly normal configuration for the ship of that era.

Is it possible that Akira was reffited to provide greater firepower as 'cheap' as possible?

Regarding carrier functions... I don't know where those presumed fighters exit ship.
That area between catamarans? Nope. Although some plans show huge doors to shuttlebay in that area there's no sign of that in actual model.
Those three 'windows' in front of saucer? That's more possible, but there's one tiny problem - literally [Smile] - Those 'windows' doesn't appear to be tall enough for those mini-Peregrine fighters. (at least to me)

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When have we seen the butt end of the primary hull, except in various non-aired artwork? Even "Message in a Bottle" kept this part of the ship obscured.

The original plans for the ship clearly called for two huge doors, and every other aspect of those plans apparently was meticuously put into the model.

The forward blue things are admittedly a bit small to be doors (unlike the similar things on Steamrunner and Saber class ships), and could rather be deflectors or something. OTOH, if you fold the wings of one of those fighter-thingies and assume the 15m length, then the blue squares *could* be Galactica-style launch tubes, too. Perhaps even specialized launchers for scrambling your fighters at warp (I don't think we've ever witnessed a shuttle launch from a warping ship?).

Timo Saloniemi

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I know that there are two big shuttlebay doors at the butt end of saucer. But, you know, 'thru-deck carrier' name implies some kind of door at the other end, too [Big Grin]

If those fighter have indeed foldable wings, then I agree with you, Timo.

Regarding shuttle launch at warp... Well, we know that various ships can separate at warp and launch torpedos at warp speeds, so fighter scrambling at warp shouldn't be difficult.

Hm... I wonder... what if there are TWO variants of Akira? Cruiser AND carrier?

Because, you know, as demonstrated during Pacific War cruiser/carrier combos weren't exactly efficent during combat situations [Smile]
That's pure speculation, of course.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go. This may help..

E-D Shuttlebay with 15 and 30m "Peregrine"

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, the runabouts barely are able to fit through those small openings that the middle... whatever that is in the middle of the shuttlebay deck. The 15m one looks like it has a better time manuvering within the shuttlebay than the runabout. Then again, let's shove in also the variable sizes of the Delta Flyer and the Aeroshuttle and the Type 9, Type 8, Type 20, and Insurrection shuttle for an interesting view.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that looks cool! Notice how the smaller courier cockpit is about the same scale as the Type-15 Shuttlepods strewn about, rather than the size of the large one.

I still can't fudge my numbers enough to make it 15m...I still only get about 12.1m. I'm assuming that the CGI diagram of the Maquis ship from the magazine is correctly proportioned and that the Shuttlepod is the size claimed by the published construction blueprints.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Here we go. This may help..

E-D Shuttlebay with 15 and 30m "Peregrine"

Mark

Cool!

Its got little shuttlecraft parking spaces!

Isn't that cute? [Smile]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps