Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Class (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Akira Class
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not too sure anymore, but I think that in "Dark Prontier" the Borg Probe scans Voyager and announces that there are 125 life forms aboard. Assuming that there are no passengers and the Doctor doesn't count, the crew count would therefore be 126.

[Edit - upon checking, the crew count in said episode is actually 143. Pleease ignore my drug-addled posting.]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See this site for Voyager crew counts over time:

http://seska.home.netcom.com/rcnotes.html

According to this, the last number stated was 145 + the doctor in "Author, Author".

switchbladeNGC
Member # 983

- posted      Profile for switchbladeNGC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the topic of the size of the "Peregrine class", how is the Yaeger class explained if there is only one size for the "Peregrine class"? The Yaeger class appears to be a strange combination of an Intrepid class primary hull and the Peregrine class secondary hull.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The similarities must be purely coincidental. The Yeager is exactly as long as an Intrepid Class. The fact that the Yeager's aft hull looks like Ju'day Class, not Peregrine by the way, ahs to be design coincidence. Like how the JAG Office Starbase from "Measure of a Man" looks kind of like the Regula I lab only several times bigger.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or how Starbase 74 ("11001001" TNG) looks so just like Spacedock from ST3-6, only many times larger.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or how STarbase 35 is several times larger that the (70% smaller) Regula One lab.

...or how Scotty's gut is several times larger than it was in STTMP. [Big Grin]

...or hoe the Enterprise A had over 100 decks in STV (they must have just been very small decks). [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is IMHO much worse to have a complex, greeblie-covered shape like the Ju'day/"Peregrine"/"Yeager" one be scaled up and down, than to have a simple aesthetically pleasing form like the starbase mushroom applied in several different sizes.

It would be easy to accept that engineers would *want* to build starbases like that when functionality placed no real demands on shape. (And easy to ignore the few unchanged greeblies, too.) But who'd want to repeat the ugly yet prominent details of Ju'day for solely aesthetic reasons? Unless that is the exact shape of the Gurgling Gnawlybird so adored by the starship engineers of Gurglia IV.

In contrast, IMHO it makes perfect sense for these winged starship hulls to be built in several different sizes. Both from the POV that there must be a market for such things across a wide size range, and from the POV that certain design houses would get to build certain ship categories and would apply certain trademark design solutions. If these different sizes just came in even slightly more varied shapes, I'd be happy indeed...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least the Yeager modified the "raider" portion a little: the raider's box-like structures (nacelles?) are removed.
....when I built my Yeager I considered blending the raider's secondary hull into the Voyager ventral hull and adding a Akira style deflector down there too.
...mabye I'll still build that: I have all the needed parts on hand.... [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, all the three incarnations of the Maquis rear hull are a bit different: first the small Ro ship gains extra "support struts" and assorted greeblies on the wings when becoming the larger Chakotay/Eddington model, and then loses the outer "impulse fins" (in the original two ships, they glow red, like the inner impulse fins, while the wingroots glow blue and are supposedly the warp engines) when becoming the Yeager butt end.

And yeah, tinkering with the Yeager details sounds okay to me, since we never saw her up close, yet she's pretty enough to be worth salvaging. But if you flare the Maquis bow to the Intrepid underbelly, and insert a deflector, you also lose the big torpedo tube muzzle at the bow of the Maquis ship - and then the ship has no forward tubes, but does have four aft ones...

Personally, I like the current configuration - and since the registry makes the Yeager a predecessor to the Voyager, perhaps this also explains the deal with the seemingly redundant "auxiliary" deflector on the Intrepid class? Back when the Intrepid hull was first created, it used to be the main deflector!

Getting back to those glowing boxes, does anybody have good pics to show the glow on the Yeager in actual DS9 shots? Or, returning to the main subject, pics on how consistently all four impulse engines on the Akiras glow in the various shots.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The yeager could have forward facing torpedo launchers in the position of the Raider's forward gun/disruptor thingies. [Wink]
Really the ship looks pretty sharp from the front with no modificatons: kinda like a Starfleet BOP.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1301771&uid=657989

The only time I recall seeing the impule vents on the Akira was in the "Mess. in a Bottle" episode of Voyager.
We almost never saw the Akira on DS9 and mostly the forward and top views in FC.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More specifically, why did the TPTBICODSS design/build such an ugly ship in the first place? Is there any sort of official explaination for it existance or is it an "oops" child?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The ship mkes sense as a one-off experimental testbed for the variable geometry warp engines and primart hull for the Intrepid class.
The ship's registry places it as built prior to the Intrepid so mabye this was the testbed to work out bugs that cropped up in the Intrepid's initial trial runs.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We almost never saw the Akira on DS9
http://www.shiporama.org/images/tears/tears70.jpg
http://www.shiporama.org/images/tears/tears75.jpg
http://www.shiporama.org/images/tears/tears50.jpg
http://www.shiporama.org/images/fleet/fleet10.jpg

And so on. The Akira, Steamrunner, and to a lesser extent Saber classes were a pretty constant feature of fleet-heavy DS9 episodes.

switchbladeNGC
Member # 983

- posted      Profile for switchbladeNGC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
More specifically, why did the TPTBICODSS design/build such an ugly ship in the first place? Is there any sort of official explaination for it existance or is it an "oops" child!
Appearently the Trident, Griffin, and Yeager Classes were part of Starfleet's "Frankenstein Fleet".
According to the Daystrom Institute Technical Library
quote:
The design melds a standard Intrepid saucer section, of which Starfleet had something of a surplus in this period, with an engineering hull which is based on a scale-up of a Peregrine variant. The latter was chosen because of the extreme ease with which it could be constructed by the Starbases involved.

Like all of the Frankenstein Fleet, the Yeager is significantly below its properly designed counterparts in terms of performance. The area in which the Yeager suffers most in speed; while the Intrepid is amongst the fastest classes in the fleet, the Yeager can only break Warp 8 for relatively short periods. This is largely due to the rush in which the ships were completed - there was insufficient time to properly match the hull configuration to the warp field, resulting in a serious loss of efficiency.

The Yeagers also suffer somewhat in firepower. The forward facing torpedo tubes of the Intrepid are located in the Engineering hull, and so are not present on the Yeager. The ship is thus left with only the aft firing tubes. The number of phaser banks is also reduced; although the presence of two large phaser cannon on the engineering hull largely compensates for this in terms of absolute firepower, there is a significant lack of phaser coverage to the ships aft.

The Yeagers participated in the operation to recover Deep Space Nine, but this is their only offensive action so far. They are largely used in a defensive role due to their inherent deficiencies - Yeagers are often to be seen as part of Deep Space Nines defensive screen, and have operated in several other locations in this area. Despite their relative "backstage" role, many of the ships have been lost during Dominion attacks

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes... a cannon source if ever there was one.

This info is obviously based on the assumption that Starfleet through a bunch of scrap metal together during the dominion war and stuck a warp engine in it. I don't subscribe to this theory. As for the Yeager having no forward facing tubes.. blargh, I say. We've never seen the thing close up enough to know if that's true or not. Yes... there's the model... but that model also has neon green on it... I'm assuming that the "actual" starship is a bit different.

/rant.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.