Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Class (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Akira Class
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model I built of the USS Yeager mostly used the color scheme of the filming model, although significantly cleaned up. I made the Maquis aft torpedoes into the Yeager's impulse engines and the Maquis forward phasers are now the Yeager's forward photon torpedo tubes. The nose of the Maquis portion I painted as though it's the main deflector and the Intrepid saucer still contains the aux deflector.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno... That does work. But still, I sort of like the idea of different torpedo tube "calibers". This ship would have three really badass tubes, and two more standard ones... Perhaps her very raison d'etre?

The Yeager certainly looks way too cool to be a Frankenstein ship IMHO. And has a prewar registry and all. She evokes a feeling of being to Intrepid what Miranda was to Constitution - a slightly uglier arse, a bit rougher skin, some uprating in the torpedo department and downrating in the deflector one.

While the Intrepid is an all-around exploring sort of shipamathing, this baby (may I call her Griffin class?) is more oriented towards combat. Unlike the Miranda, she sports a *smaller* shuttlecraft contingent than her big sister, but has shuttlebays nevertheless - the vertical aft corners of the former "warp cowlings" could very well be sliding doors for hangarettes, especially as they are conspiuously painted in the original model.

And the similarity to the Maquis ships is neither a coincidence nor a proof that there exists a third, larger variant of the Maquis ships that can donate body parts like this. It is just the result of the Yeager having been created by the same company/bureau/whatever that built the Maquis ships.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to think of the nose of the raider as a embedded Galaxy class sized forward torpedo launcher and the two aft intrepid launchers as exactly that: torp launchers.
The Raider's aft launchers would serve fine as additional torp launchers to cover fo a lack or rear phasers.
I placed my impulse engines next to the raider's aft launchers: big engines= fast respinse ship.
As to the article: it's junk. We never saw (to my knowledge) any other yeager style ships in DS9 or in fleet action.
The Yeager was likely a one-off ship used for testing and considered tough enough to guard DS9 and the Bajoran system while the Defiant was with the fleet or on patrol.
The Yeager might well be a tougher, more combat oriented ship than the Intrepid class. [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
quote:
We almost never saw the Akira on DS9
http://www.shiporama.org/images/tears/tears70.jpg
http://www.shiporama.org/images/tears/tears75.jpg
http://www.shiporama.org/images/tears/tears50.jpg
http://www.shiporama.org/images/fleet/fleet10.jpg

And so on. The Akira, Steamrunner, and to a lesser extent Saber classes were a pretty constant feature of fleet-heavy DS9 episodes.

Were the Akira clas ships in the finally? I don't have that one....so far it looks like they're mostly in that one episode (and the "Call to Arms " shot).
...regardless: we never get a good shot of the Akira's impulse vents until Voyager (my original point). [Big Grin]
You have that episode on tape?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, I don't know what DS9 episodes I have recorded. My point is that Akiras were all over the place in the last few years.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Heck. I really long to see those episodes on DVD.
...at least I only have to wait a couple of weeks to see the Odyssey destroyed.
Goulish arent I?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soundeffect... killer, KILLER models.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Soundeffect... killer, KILLER models.

Thanks, man! Intrepid Class Bellerophon will be up next and then the Challenger Class Buran will follow shortly thereafter.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

(cough) Elkins (cough) [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there an Elkins model somewhere? I remember seeing it...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps