Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ST:M Final Issue - Scannables?

Author Topic: ST:M Final Issue - Scannables?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen it yet - but is there anything worth bugging people about?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that the big thick one with multiple or more than one cover? I think I saw one with Dominion Battlecruisers, possibly at DS9...but actually that was a few weeks back...I can't remember if it has anything in it....

Then again, I haven't see it since, as I originally saw it in a "mom and pop" store back home, yet havenot seen it in Barnes and Nobles...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a spectalar LAST ISSUE!1!! or something. It's more like a pile of left-over articles.

What's in it:
- Interview with Nana Visitor (Kira)
- TNG Seventh Season feature
- Article on ENT Matte Paintings (Valakian city, the Amazon university, Strange New World planet and P'Jem exterior and that large spy center room)
- Briefing on "DS9 Support Craft", the runabout and the Defiant. On the normal level of "it has warp engines. This is a door that can be opened". Includes orthographic views of the seriously lacking Defiant CGI model and briefings on the Chaffee and the Type 18 pod.
- Designing DS9 interiors.
- Briefing on Sisko
- Interview with Casey Biggs (Damar)
- Interview with Nicholas Meyer on ST IV and VI.
- Briefing on NCC-1701-A.
- Tech Database article (by Sternbach) on the Aerowing.
- Article on the evolution of Ben Sisko's character
- Desiging Hirogen ships by Rick Sternbach
- Briefing on "Starship Operations" (tachyon grid, Kolvoord starburst, slingshot effect)
- Nice article on Paramount Comics.

And that's it [Eek!]

It's over. Finished. Gone. [Mad]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only thing worth scanning there is the aerowing article and maybe the one on the chaffee at a stretch....
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sternbach's AeroShuttle article is pretty cool. I'll scan it as always, just soon as I get ahold of a copy, along with perhaps the CGI foldouts of the Defiant and Enterprise.

It's really too bad that the Mag is gone now, not so much because of it's overall quality, but rather because it was the only forum for Sternbach's cool semi-canon technical stuff given Pocket Books' stubborn refusal to do a Voyager Tech Manual. [Frown]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, its really a shame, considering I really dont like the "official" magazine all that much, despite being quite improved over the last 10 years.

Why again are they no longer producing issues? (I musta missed that news conference)

--------------------

QuinnTV
Member # 859

- posted      Profile for QuinnTV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
It's really too bad that the Mag is gone now, not so much because of it's overall quality, but rather because it was the only forum for Sternbach's cool semi-canon technical stuff given Pocket Books' stubborn refusal to do a Voyager Tech Manual. [Frown]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

With all due respect, Rick has stated several times (over at TrekBBS *ducks*) that Pocket WAS willing to do the manual. However, they did not want to pay him the amount of money he felt would justify the time he would have put into the project. They would have published it, just rather cheaply.

Now, their refusal to publish "Unseen Frontier" is another matter. [Mad]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impression I got was that they offered him what amounted to a mere pittance to do the book, which would have required a large amount of work. Making an offer so insufficient that you know it won't be accepted is tantamount to not making one at all, IMHO. The motivation behind this and also behind the shelving of Unseen Frontier was a (baseless) desire to abandon the "non-fiction" variety of Trek publications in favor of the oh-so-kewl novels. (Bleh! [Mad] )

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

My, my, that sounded a bit like a RANT, n'est-ce pas? [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baseless? They couldn't even give away copies of the Enterprise D blueprints, and they tried.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine came shrinkwrapped with the interactive technical manual and the omnipedia when i bought starship creator.

i have like three copies of the ED blueprints, my dad forgets hes already gotten them for me every time he sees a set at the closeout warehouse

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Speaking of the Omnipedia, how far did they ever get with that thing? I got the original back in '95 and like the first upgrade in the mail sometime in '96 that updated it through Generations, DS9 Season 3 and Voyager Season 1 and then I never saw any updates from that point on.

I've seen some websites with homemade updated articles to integrate into the omnipedia but for some reason I could never seem to get them to integrate into mine at all. Not to mention the fact that its limited to only 98 additional homemade entries (or so), which fills up really quick as there was over 2x that many new episodes, alone, made since that time, not to mention all the information contained in each.

--------------------

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I saw it is a packed issue. Is it the last one? Of course my broke ass didn't get it but I would appreciate scans.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps