Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » EAS shuttle chart redux (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: EAS shuttle chart redux
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't pass a chance to advertise Bernd's upgraded shuttle comparison chart.

All right, all right, couldn't pass a chance to nitpick on Bernd's upgraded shuttle comparison chart. [Smile]

The Starfleet interceptor is shrinking slowly but steadily. She could still lose some, though. Rewatching "The Maquis II" has made me a supporter of the 15-18 meter faction, and Capt. Keogh's disparaging comments about riffraff in "armed shuttlecraft" seem more apt when the interceptors are downscaled.

"Type 9" shuttle could be called "Type 12" here as originally intended by Rick, so as not to be confused with the (very nicely colored) cargo shuttle. It's not as if canon really requires otherwise.

Are there really no proper side views of the ST6 executive shuttle, apart from this dubious-looking FF one?

The Argo is a monster! One wonders if Type 9A shouldn't be scaled up a bit to match the Argo, to meet the same Fleet requirements. I still think Type 7 should be about 11 meters long based on the clumsy half-props and the various mattes, so I don't think highly of the TNG TM size figures in general.

Still waiting for TAS shuttles... Preferably Reverend's interpretations of them. [Cool]

And ENT shuttles... I just learned ENT is coming to Germany's Sat1 which I can see. Can't wait. But have to. TANJ. But ENT shuttles (alien and NX-01 alike) are cool, whatever one says about the big ships.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice.
Now he just needs to update the other charts with the Nemesis ships and the ships from Enterprise.
...and a few select others: the Tholian is missing from the Alien ships as well as the Talarian Warship at a casual glance.

....still, these are amazing to print and I have them over my modeling workbench (along with dozens of pics of whatever I'm working on at the moment.). [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not that up-to-date on shuttle specs, but are we/you sure that the Chaffee is that small?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's what you get if you fit it into a 120m Defiant. [Smile]

Say, did the last Magazine have something more solid on the Chaffee? Like an interior sketch or something? A five-way drawing showing an entry hatch that requires a larger vehicle, or alternatively a First Federation crew?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
link?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

Link.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chaffee there is almost too small for the cockpit set, surely?
Timo
Member # 245

Well, almost. But it's still a pretty good approximation.

Incidentally, the Chaffee has a rear hatch, making it a likely candidate for the two-person craft seen from the inside in "The Search II" - as opposed to the Type 18 pod we saw there from inside *and* outside, with side doors. It would be nice to call the Chaffee a "shuttlepod", too, so that Starfleet would have at least three known designs for that category of craft. That would balance the umpteen "full shuttlecraft" designs a bit.

Timo Saloniemi

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug Drexler designed the Chaffee and the shuttlebay, and also placed it on the Defiant's exterior. The DS9TM depictions ought to be correct, but it is difficult to tell whether the Chaffee is scaled to a 110m O.L. Defiant, which is true for most of the interior, or to a 171m O.L. Defiant, as in the case of the escape pods.

Other evidence suggests that the Chaffee is essentially a shuttlepod. Sisko said they'd take a shuttlepod just before they left the Defiant, while the script never calls for a special shuttle or bay. They would've probably used the Type-18 had it been CGI'd, and had the producers not called for a full-sized bay.

I think that Doug Drexler, who was working on the DS9TM deck plans when the request came in, designed the Chaffee specifically to rationalize the need for the different type of bay, probably working with one of the shuttlepod sets in mind.

Boris

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Magazine copies the DS9TM info (9.64 meters long).

Another thing.. the Type-18 pod is "Shuttle 01" and the Chaffee is "Shuttlecraft 1". What's all that about?

[ March 19, 2003, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its about Sisko's big ego and his desire to be #1, of course!.... [Big Grin]
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I emailed Doug Drexler about the Chaffee a few months back and his response was:
quote:
The Chaffee needs to be about 40 - 45', is my estimate.
So there you go. Good luck fitting that into a 120m Defiant.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiant isn't 120m long. It's 170m long. Careless VFX crew and stubborn Germans be damned...

...Forgive me Bernd, please, I could not resist...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that leaves the Chaffee pot to be about 1/10th to 4/5th the size of the Defiant. Isn't that something like the Enterprise-D fitting something like a Vulcan warp shuttle/sled (ref: TMP) into its shuttlebay...or something slightly larger??? And you thought getting 3 runabouts in there was rough! [Roll Eyes]
Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Still waiting for TAS shuttles... Preferably Reverend's interpretations of them. [Cool]

I would love to see more of Reverend's interpretations of the TAS shuttles as well. So far I have seen the Aquashuttle and the beginning of the Long-Range shuttle Copernicus. Reverend is extremely talented in those designs. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.