Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TR-116 rifle (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TR-116 rifle
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there any episode that stated that certain drones wear body armor? What makes the tactical drones so "tactical"?

Actually forget about personal force fields, all a drone has to do is wear some bulletproof armor.
Since a drone is stronger than a human and don't bother going anywhere fast, you can pile so much armor onto a drone until he looks like a medieval knight and then not even Worf can stick a blade through.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which begs the question "what is the point of the Borg's exoskeleton armour stuff if it's not even bulletproof enough to stop chemically-propelled metal slugs, and holographic ones at that?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly to allow them to work in vacuum?

I'm not sure the black clothing the Borg wear is supposed to be armor at all. It could be more like a full-body tool harness, housing those systems that aren't internally contained. Physical armor could have been found far too clumsy and ultimately irrelevant.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vogon: "Which begs the question "what is the point of the Borg's exoskeleton armour stuff if it's not even bulletproof enough to stop chemically-propelled metal slugs, and holographic ones at that?"

Don't go there, it starts to spill over on the "Stormtrooper"-paradox from there... [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there were no bullets . . . no metal slugs.

(Sorry if that causes a headache, Vogon) [Smile]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hence my qualification of them as holographic metals slugs. Don't YOU start, I had some twat emailing me a while ago saying I shouldn't call my website "phasers" as the picture on the front page is of someone holding a weapon that isn't a phaser. I kid you not. . . 8)

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Don't go there, it starts to spill over on the "Stormtrooper"-paradox from there... [Smile]

...to which people eventually conclude: "they looked cool".

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Hence my qualification of them as holographic metals slugs. Don't YOU start, I had some twat emailing me a while ago saying I shouldn't call my website "phasers" as the picture on the front page is of someone holding a weapon that isn't a phaser. I kid you not. . . 8)

Hehehe . . . yeah, you told me about that. Mine was the "Dude, it's EZRI!" response.

But, seriously, I was just reiterating it because "holographic metal slug" might, in some circles, still make one think of a metal slug, with its momentum and solidity.

(Yes, okay, I was just being a twat. I've simply had this conversation too many times before. Hence my big fat page on the subject.) [Smile]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Vogon: "Which begs the question "what is the point of the Borg's exoskeleton armour stuff if it's not even bulletproof enough to stop chemically-propelled metal slugs, and holographic ones at that?"

Stormtrooper armor is designeed to attract blaster fire and spare valuable equipment from being destroyed by stray rebel fire.
I'd say I was being sarcastic, but it is the Empire and if you'll notice, the officers don't wear armor. [Big Grin]
The Borg's exoskeleton as aquired from intercepting old Frankenstien movies and they just thought it would be efficient psychological warfare on the humans: A far better tactic than their original plan to flail their arms and yell "Crush, Kill, Destroy!" over and over.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exterminate! Exterminate!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

So.......... the borg will get toilet plungers as mechanical appendages!?! [Razz]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
LOL!

So.......... the borg will get toilet plungers as mechanical appendages!?! [Razz]

Only if they started assimilating large metal garbage cans.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giant novlety pepper pots, more likely.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Only if they started assimilating large metal garbage cans. [/QB]

Well, they are going to try to assimilate NX-01 are'nt they? [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

It would be amusing if the 22nd-century Borg flew around in upright cylindrical ships and decided the NX-01's saucer would make a nice lid. . .

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps