Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ($) The WYLB Starship Thread, Part I of ??

Author Topic: ($) The WYLB Starship Thread, Part I of ??
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it'll be airing as of tonight, let's start the thread off with ships seen in the new footage from the trailer...

Defiant
Galaxy
Peregrine

BoP
Vor'cha

J'H Bug
J'H Superdoopership

Galor

Breen Battleship

(Am I missing any?)

Hopefully screengrabs will start arriving soon, and we can do the DS9 ship thing one last time...

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of bad news...
http://trekweb.com/msgboard.mv?parm_func=showmsg+parm_msgnum=1013498

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Just managed to catch most of the first half via streaming net video. (No sound )

Not looking good.

The same footage of the F/K/R fleet zooming off from "The Changing Face of Evil" (which might have cropped up in "Tears...") is used to start the battle, as is the shot of the Breen, Jemmie and Cardie warships holding position from that ep. No real big deal there--I can take that.

When the attack begins, footage of the Peregrines moving into position from SofA is recomposited (fairly nicely, actually) so that they pass by a horde of Klingon warships and then a cluster of Fed ships. I can take that.

But then all hell breaks loose. Interspersed with some nice brand new footage is a whole shitload, yup, I'm using obsenities to describe it now, of instantly-recognizable footage from SofA (Peregrines straffing a Galor, the destruction of the Mirandas, the Defiant making a run for the back lines), TotP (Klingons ships banking away) and TCFoE (Defiant rushing by Nebula).

That saddest part of all is that in many cases the new footage is designed to run continuously after the stock, meaning that basically from the outset the VFX guys said "Let's cheat".

The new stuff is spectacular... a looooong shot sitting above the Defiant's bridge module following it as it cartwheels around blowing up bugs left and right, some nice close-ups of a Galor kicking ass, and one where the Defiant swings around past the Galaxy (this bit was shown in the preview) then continues around to the upper right where it beats the snot out of a superdoopercruiser.

But what really gets my goat is the reuage of that one shot from SofA where the D banks over a Galor and runs for the back lines.. as it banks, of course, we see the registry of the original Defiant. NX-742... on the side of the nacelle cowling is clear as day.

GRRRRRR.

*anticipates activity both here and on the flameboard*

------------------

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that Viacom is giving less money to Star Trek. The use of stock footage in this episode seems to imply this.
IP: Logged
Simon
Ex-Member

I was very annoyed by the reuse of the Jemmie Bug slicing apart the Vorcha. I thought they would at least go all out for the finale. We endured a full half season of filler, and I though the money saved by that was all going to make a spectacular finale. It was still very good, but a bit of a disapointment.
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very unwelcome return of the USS Stock Footage.

Grrrrr

------------------
"She turned me into a NEWT!..........
.....Well, I got better..."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Deep6
Ex-Member

One more.......no wait, two more

Darn it, i was going for the 3000th post but it aint counting upp...oh well, nevermind.
------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

[This message was edited by Deep6 on June 01, 1999.]

[This message was edited by Deep6 on June 01, 1999.]

Deep6
Ex-Member

WooHoo! 3000th post!

------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem* No post racing here. Please.

Just watched it too, and yes, was also very annoyed by the reuse of the stock footage, mostly from SofA. However, if you take a good look, you'll see that they've actually ADDED stuff onto the stock footage.

Take note:

• Just before you see the second Miranda blow up, you see a Jem Hedar Battleship swinging into position, firing off a torpedo which blows up that right side of the second Miranda.
  • As the Defiant is making a run for the back lines, you'll see a Galaxy swinging around blowing up something with its phaser.
  • The use of the Peregrines is not exactly stock footage. A Cardassian phaser slices a fighter in half, and one half crashes into the ship.
  • The scene reused from TCFoE has some sort of wreckage added to it. Perhaps a Dominion superduperbattleship.
  • The thing that I'm impressed about is the explosions going on INSIDE the ships, you see a Cardassian avoiding an explosion, some poor guy being blown up in Sick Bay, and several Klingons being sucked out into hull breaches or something. If only they made new footage for those.

Comments?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

>>>Just before you see the second Miranda blow up, you see a Jem'Hadar Battleship swinging into position, firing off a torpedo which blows up that right side of the second Miranda.

That was always in SofA.

>>>As the Defiant is making a run for the back lines, you'll see a Galaxy swinging around blowing up something with its phaser.

Not sure what shot you're referring to. The shot of the Galaxy firing its phaser (partly seen in the preview) was brand new, the Defiant passing over a Galor and then heading away was in SofA.

>>>The use of the Peregrines is not exactly stock footage. A Cardassian phaser slices a fighter in half, and one half crashes into the ship.

There was both new and stock footage of the Peregrines... but the shot of the Peregrines attacking the Galor was certainly in SofA.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps