Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hi-Res Scan of Dominion Dreadnought?

Author Topic: Hi-Res Scan of Dominion Dreadnought?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been putting together a ship comparison chart for the fan series I'm working on, "Renaissance." I've added the Dominion ships to the list, but I've been unable to find a truly decent image of that ship's side view.

I don't have access to a scanner at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone happened to have a good scan of the ship at a decent resolution.

At the scale I'm working at, I'd need the image to be 750 pixels across (for an estimated 1500 meters long at a 1px:2m scale).

If I get an image done first, I'll post it here, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone's done one already, first!

The current version of the chart, with the slightly-blurry version of the dreadnought, is here:
http://www.st-minutiae.com/renaissance/features/encyclopedia/comparison_galaxy.jpg

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat!
But were do the D'Vorx, Haklon and Phoenix class come from?

And do you have a bigger sideview of the Valdore?
Or a link to one? :-)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoenix and the Q'tami Heavy Cruiser I know for certain were created for the "show" by their modeller, Dr. Bob. I'm fairly sure D'Vorx, Haklon, and Napoch are too, but I'm not positive.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think the other ships would get much attention... [Wink]

No, I don't have a bigger side view of the Valdore. Someone at my own message board (Subspace Comms Network) posted six-view CGI image of an apparently fan-made model. Unfortunately, all copies of that image I've found had the far right side cropped, so I had to extrapolate the rear part of the ship. But it still appears to be the most accurate rendition I've seen, pending official schematics which may never come out now since the ST magazines have folded. [Mad]

I've uploaded the image if anyone else wants to try to work with it. I basically measured out the lengths and heights of the various views, and mirrored the cut-off side of the top view to figure out how many pixels to add. I then copied the forward tip of the nose, flipped it around, and pasted it to the back to make it fit. (I adjusted the coloring a bit to make it look a little better.)

As for the other pics... all of the non-canon ships were modeled by Robert Crosswell, aka "DrBob." A few of them, specifically the D'vorx and the Napoch, were sketched by Chris Edmonds on paper first, and Bob used them as a basis for CGI models.

The Phoenix Class is the main Starfleet ship of our series, "Renaissance," set in 2401. Since we're on the topic, I might as well post links to the other comparison charts we've got put together:

The main "hero" ships. It's missing one, I know.
The new ships designed specifically in REN times.
Mainly canon ships, along with the REN ships, intended for cross-referencing.

Um, wasn't this thread about the Dominion battlecruiser? [Wink]

Okay... I managed to get the scanner fired up and working with only a minimum of complaint. (Turns out I was starting things up in the wrong order -- the scanner is an older SCSI model, requiring a PCI card to work with the newer computer, and thus is a bit temperamental.)

The problem I encountered is the resolution of the original image itself -- when I scanned at ultra-high resolution, I got a pattern of hexagonal dots that probably reprersent the ink drops from the original publisher's printer. There might be a way to interpolate the colors and fill in the gaps between the shapes, but I haven't found anything that could do that on my own software -- I'm using Fireworks MX and Photoshop Elements 2.

I tried working with it, trying such filters as "De-speckle" in Photoshop, but after I applied it a few times the image started to get fuzzy. Even shrinking the image down to the desired size left practically no improvement over the old version of the file that I had. Nuts.

If anyone else knows of a better way to improve the resolution, I've uploaded my own scan of the pic (1200 dpi, 1.8 MB!) for someone else to work with. It's not a huge deal for me -- what I've got works reasonably well, but for the larger ships it'd be nice to have larger images available.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just like to say that the terrific valadore shots isn't accurate.
It was made by a modeler called Dawn, who made it before Nemesis came out so we can all play with it in Star Trek Armada.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... was the Dauntless really that small? I thought she was comparable in size to Voyager?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

According to the MSD seen on the set (and reproduced in much greater detail in the book "Star Trek: Action!"), the Dauntless only had eight decks. So no, it wasn't that big. [Wink]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps