Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Family Tech! ["Horizon" Spoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Family Tech! ["Horizon" Spoilers]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Boy, I remember back in the day when TOS was closer to 50 mins...and there was only one Enterprise, and all the boobs were real....

Kirk's weren't.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Ah yes, Deirdre Imershein, shes not too bad. [Wink]

Actually she played the Risan Joval (the chick playing 'hoverball') in "Captains Holiday" TNG.

She did a lil nudie nudie in the HBO series "Dream On" about 13 years ago. Otherwise she doesn't have a whole lot to her acting credit.

All the hotties were naked on that damn show!
Catherine Bell (of JAG fame) was too!
Gotta check on that show's DVD availability....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the episode myself... and the bridge is the fold and hold Defiant bridge with a smaller screen from the TNG Battle Bridge set. The rest of the ship does seem like the NX-01 redress sets except that cargo module which reminds me of the shuttlebay for the NX-01 with wall paneling.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah. I can't at all see the ECA becoming part of Starfleet. Remember, SF is the military. It would be like...Shell Oil tankers becoming part of the Navy...
But that's not an apt comparison. The U.S. Navy has more than enough ships in its fleet that it will never need to draft civilian ships into military service.

Now look at the Earth Starfleet of the 2150's. Not really much of a "Star Fleet" at all. They have very few ships, and the ECA has been around far longer than they have, with presumably many more vessels. Take Paul's quote that no one wants to run freight anymore, and the reference in "Fortunate Son" that frieghters will soon be receiving warp 5 engine upgrades. Presumably this means that there will be perfectly good (albeit old) freight vessels that no one is using for freight runs. I find it perfectly logical that the Federation Starfleet could have inducted these vessels into service as refitted front-line explorers such as the TOS Horizon, Archon, etc., or at the least, the Mayweathers could have sold their ship to Starfleet.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed the shot of The Book in the episode... since I didn't notice it, I assume that it wasn't all that big. The one in TOS, however, was *really* big. Therefore I think it should be treated as a winking in-joke rather than a suggestion that the ECS Horizon is the ship that's going to visit Sigma Iotia II.

(And don't suggest that The Book we saw in TOS was just an Iotian copy... the way they treated it, it sure as hell seemed like the original to me. I'm willing to bend some assumptions to explain some things for ENT, but I'm not gonna redefine everything!)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
The U.S. Navy has more than enough ships in its fleet that it will never need to draft civilian ships into military service.

Now look at the Earth Starfleet of the 2150's. Not really much of a "Star Fleet" at all. They have very few ships, and the ECA has been around far longer than they have, with presumably many more vessels. Take Paul's quote that no one wants to run freight anymore, and the reference in "Fortunate Son" that frieghters will soon be receiving warp 5 engine upgrades. Presumably this means that there will be perfectly good (albeit old) freight vessels that no one is using for freight runs. I find it perfectly logical that the Federation Starfleet could have inducted these vessels into service as refitted front-line explorers such as the TOS Horizon, Archon, etc., or at the least, the Mayweathers could have sold their ship to Starfleet.

I don't. There is really no point in conscripting a bunch of 50+ year old freighters into the Federations' Star Fleet, considering that the Vulcans and Andorians presumably have scores of more powerful and valuable starships that would probably make up the bulk of the Federations' Star Fleet during its onset. It would seem to make much more sense to integrate those into the new Star Fleet looong before the antiquated ships of the ECA....

Consider: Upon the sharing of technology, and "catching Earth up" technologically, the decision was probably made to make the entire Star Fleet vessel design patterned after Earth vessels (evidence: every Federation starship we have ever seen). Once the Vulcan and Andorian designs became outdate and were phased out of the military....the "new" Federation designs (e.g. Constitution Class), patterned after the "old" Earth designs, would become the backbone of Star Fleet, and the Vulcans and Andorians would conform to this new design as well, as far as their military vessels go (evidence: USS Intrepid, USS T'Kumbra, semi-USS Hera)....this too, would involve crew integrations aboard various ships as well

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't buy that at all.
For all we know the Miranda class could have been a traditional Telerite configuration and the Connie may be of Andorian ancestry (or mabye the brainchild of one visionary).
It most likely that the Federation uses the best components of various member races to build the first Federation starships and then heavily integrated races when assigning design teams to maximize creative ideas and not exclude anyone.

While not canon, the FASA designs have several Andorian themed ships (nacelles grouped together and partially shielded bt superstructure was their hallmark).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, this ignores the fact that the producers haven't really given any thought to the forming of the Federation Starfleet. They might even assume that both Starfleets are the same [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on what we have seen over the years and the fact that the Vulcans and Andorians DO have ships and the fact that Starfleet IS going to be formed - either from the Earth Starfleet taken over under the auspices of the Federation or something from scratch; I see no other options with what the first Fed. Starfleet would be comprised of. Pooling of resources seems to make the most sense in the forming of the Federations' military and I still see nothing else said that makes any more sense from the information that has been presented here.

Earth Starfleet + Vulcan 'military' + Andorian Guard + other Allies = Federation/Star Fleet = All Earth + Vulcan + Andorian + Tellerite (et al) Resources (including Starships and Bases).

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logistically, it could make sense to draft some civilian vessels to UFP SF service. Even the USN sometimes does that, when it runs short of prepositioning ships, tankers and assorted tugs.

OTOH, *politically* it might be necessary to ignore even the logistically vital Vulcan and Andorian superior starships and go for an all-Earth arsenal in the early days of the UFP SF. Perhaps the Federation is formed when the Earthlings force a peace upon the warring Vulcans and Andorians?

And it is possible to conjure up a situation where Vulcan and Andorian designs aren't logistically the preferable ones. Perhaps those two races are slow to catch up with escalation in the Romulan war, and/or have their existing fleets decimated in the conflict. Rather than endure the nightmare of producing three different sets of spares, fuel, munitions etc, the Axis of Good in that war could go for a fleet that relies solely on the hardware of the most aggressively escalating participant. In this case, the Earthlings. Post-war, this simplified logistic chain is retained, and superior Vulcan designs go by the wayside (much like happened to lots of Russian hardware after the cold war).

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps